Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camg1234

B&G motor starting problems with a twist.

CamG1234
9 years ago

Hi, I have a Craftsman 6 hp model 944.360431 Briggs and Stratton motor (can't edit title) that I've been working on but am now stumped.

This mower will not start, common problem, but the difference is, if I prime the cylinder through the spark plug port, it will start....and stay running. Mow the whole lawn as long as you don't shut it off. If you allow it to stop and restart right away, it will start again, but if you wait more than 20 seconds, no way, not even a cough.

So far I have replaced the gaskets in the carb and air intake. Replaced fuel line. Replaced timing keyway (it was sheared). Cleaned the carbs completely three times with carb cleaner (completely taken apart with proper wire cleaners) Checked float operation, good.

The air pulse primer does not work, probably due to warped plastic airbox, but don't think this should be the primary issue as it won't start even after fully warmed up....

Any ideas on what else could cause the fuel starving problem? (spark plug is dry when I take it out)

Thanks.

This post was edited by CamG1234 on Sat, May 31, 14 at 10:22

Comments (3)