Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariana2007_gw

My first mosaic on bowling ball

mariana2007
14 years ago

Hi,

This is my first mosaic on a bowling ball, thanks to your inspiration album, and all the information I easily found here on how to make beautiful things. I promise I will get better with the next balls that are seating on the deck waiting to be covered somehow.

Mariana

{{gwi:197825}}

Comments (17)

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Welcome Mariana, you did a great first job. The colors and shapes are wonderful. I haven't been brave enough to try mosaics yet. But your right about this forum being full of inspiration and information.
    Syble

• katladie
    14 years ago

Better?, heck there's nothing wrong with that one, love the color,

sharon

• katishooked
    14 years ago

You did a great job. Can't wait to see the next one.

kat

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

GOOD FOR YOU, Mariana...love the colors & patterns you've used! TFS! Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Keep 'em coming! Like your choice of colors and patterns. Great job and welcome to the Garden Junk forum!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Beautiful!! Love the colors!!Jan

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Its beautiful! The design, the colors, the grout... I am also working on my first bb and wouldn't have thought of using white grout. It goes perfectly with the pottery that you chose. Excellent job. (Now I'm afraid to show mine cuz it looks like a kindergartener did it in comparison, lol.)
    kathy

• mzclassic
    14 years ago

Very nice, turned out great, especially for your first one. TFS!

Donna in Florida

• cait1
    14 years ago

It's BEAUTIFUL!!! And I love your patterned plate. Great color combo. Can't wait to see more!

Cait

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Wow Marianna! What a great job! I agree with everyone else...how can you improve?? Love the color choices and patterns! Thanks for sharing with us.

• mariana2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone for your kind compliments, and encouragements to start a new project.
    Concreteprimroses, you should not be afraid to show your work, there are so many helpful people here. I put the white grout thinking I will paint it later in a beige/yellowish color, but I like it the way it is now.
    Here is my next project that I am working on. Any suggestion on the gout color would be grateful.

{{gwi:197827}}

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

Looks great and so is your new one .Looks GREAT!!!!!!

• nonacook
    14 years ago

Like froufrou, I have not been brave enough to do mosiacs--
    Both of yours are awesome! I love them!

• mariana2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you ladie., After lurking for 2 years here and at hypertufa forum, I finally made some stuff for my garden. So many plans... so many wonderful ideas from you guys...

Mariana

• texasfern
    14 years ago

They are both wonderful!
    Ok guys, don't be intimidated by mosaics! Geeze, If I can do it you can.
    Get over to the stained glass and mosaic forum and get some wonderful encouragement, information and inspiration!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stained Glass and Mosaic Forum

• colleenm_grow
    14 years ago

I know someone has already asked this question, but how do you keep your grout from cracking. I used a silicone glue to adhere my tile to the bowling ball and then used a sanded grout, also used a Silicone grout sealer, had it outside in nice weather for only a few weeks and now the grout has cracked. What did a do wrong? HELP!!!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Grout needs time to "cure" like cement. Did you have it dry in the sun? Because that could cause the cracking. It is best to let it dry in a cooler, shaded area so it doesn't cure too quickly. Otherwise, your grout may have been too wet when you applied it. When you spread it, it should be about the consistency of brownie batter (that's the best way I know to describe it) - still spreadable like mud but not as thin as pancake batter (can you tell I love eating? lol). You were right to use sanded grout and a grout sealer.