Need help with fall schedule/over seeding

jkhdawg
9 years ago

New lawn/new construction site
Upstate NY
Lawn 15,000 sq ft
Lawn 3mths old - KBG/TTTF/Rye blend
Full sunlight

I'm looking to overseed with KBG within the next week. Is that good idea given original grass blend and can I get KBG to take over? What type KBG will help achieve my goal to have KGB lawn? Site is so new compaction not an issue. Lawn so new thatch not an issue. Looking for best ideas to prep soil/lawn to overseed. Is it okay to power rake on such new turf? I would also like to top dress to try and level out some areas. Any ideas there would be much appreciated as well. Lastly should I apply a starter fertilizer after over seeding? Such an infant lawn looking for any help I can get.

Thanks

Comments (3)

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Hmmmm. Are you confident you have all three grasses growing? With daily watering of 2x to 3x per day, rye grass will germinate and sprout in 1 week. Fescue will sprout in 2 weeks. KBG takes a full 3 weeks to see the first sprouts. It is not unusual when seeding that blend for the home owner to see the rye grass sprouting and stop the 2x to 3x per day watering. When that happens the only grass you're left with is rye.

If you did it right and you have KBG growing, then you should not have to worry about it taking over. It will spread to dominate the other two grasses as those thin or weaken from various issues.

Compaction should never be an issue. True compaction can only be caused by playing football on a soggy soil. Or by driving a car over soggy soil. You have to have the combination of soggy soil and heavy weight applied over and over. Mowing the lawn in the dew will not cause that.

Having said that, hard soil is a different subject. That is caused by the loss of the beneficial fungi in your soil. That is unlikely in your situation, too.

Thatch should not be an issue because you haven't had time to do anything wrong. Even if you did everything wrong, you could not develop thatch in the few weeks you've had the lawn.

I'm thinking you don't need to do anything except watering deeply and infrequently (an inch all at one time, every 2 weeks for you, this time of year), mow high every week, and fertilize next week (Labor Day) and again after the grass stops growing but before the KBG turns color.

• jkhdawg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for response dchall. What do you recommend for fertilizer?

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

I always recommend using alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow) at a rate of 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. I've been organic since 2002 and see no benefit to changing. Here's a demonstration of how well alfalfa pellets work. The picture was submitted here to GW back a few years ago by mrmumbles. He was testing alfalfa, I think, because he didn't think it would do anything.

{{gwi:79339}}

Clearly the fertilized part is more dense, deeper green, and growing better. If you cannot find alfalfa pellets, any ground up nut, bean, or seed will work. For example soybean meal, corn meal, corn gluten meal, cottonseed meal, etc. Use whatever is inexpensive and comes in 50-pound bags at your local feed store. Do not use deer corn or other whole grain products. Those are viable seeds and will give you a weedy mess until you mow them down. As long as the product is ground or at lease cracked, it will work fine.

With organic fertilizers you can use as much or as little as you want. Unlike chemical fertilizers, it does not need to be watered in and you can use it all summer without burning the lawn. A practical limit to the application is about 60 to 70 pounds per 1,000 square feet. At that point you would be smothering the lawn. There is another limit to use in that using too much at once can cause an aroma of decomposing protein (sour milk). If you stick to 10-25 pounds per 1,000, that aroma goes away quickly. Use more and it seems to linker forever. That aroma is an ammonia smell, and you want all that smell to stay in your yard, so just stick to the low rates.