Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mawheel

Quote for Monday, January 14, 2008

mawheel
16 years ago

The more you know, the more you find there is to know in this grand and glorious world. It is only the ignorant who suppose themselves onmiscient.

--Written by Robert E. Lee to one of his daughters.

Comments (20)

• Pidge
    16 years ago

After many years of formal and informal education, advanced degrees and a boatload of life experience, I can can only say, "Amen."

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

So true! In fact, the amount of things that I need to learn sometimes just staggers me. I like to think that I learn at least one new thing every day - a lot of the time right here on this forum.

• lilod
    16 years ago

This is what I call an Universal Truth! I feel sorry for those who limit themselves by refusing to entertain new thoughts, looking at thing in a different way and have the attitude: "Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up!"

• mwoods
    16 years ago

I find that quote even more meaningful since I've had a computer. I will read or hear something and want to know more...then when trying to find the info online,I'm confronted with so many other interesting things it's hard to stop. Just as an aside...did you ever go to a site,then click on a link there,and then another link and so on going from site to site? It's amazing where you can eventually find yourself and rarely is there an end to it. I wonder if you can ever end up where you started?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    16 years ago

The more I know, the more I know I don't know? Yes, that's it.

• lilod
    16 years ago

Marda, when I go from link to link, sometimes I have an "hereafter" moment, asking myself: what did come here after?

• lilod
    16 years ago

Don't know whether I am coming or going, should have said: what did I go here after?

• mwoods
    16 years ago

My frind calls that destinasia. I love it. Same thing as going into a room for who knows what.

• weebus
    16 years ago

The more I learn, the less I know.

• User
    16 years ago

Good quote :)

• calliope
    16 years ago

Keeping in line with the quote and also with Marda's comments about the phenomenon of looking something up, and going deeper and deeper and totally tangential to the subject........

What does the typical person know about Robert E. Lee? He was a fascinating, intelligent and principled man with an interesting history. I started Googling some of his other quotes and it led to quite an adventure into his biography.

• sheila
    16 years ago

Marda, how many degrees of separation before you came back to where you began? Certainly not six:) Someone has probably already figured it out but it' a kind of fascinating idea ~ at least to me.

Michael, a question for our resident mathematician?

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

Who comes back to the beginning? I don't think I ever have, unless I start all over. For the same reason, I'd never make it as a river explorer... so many branches (creeks, runnels, side streams) which each have more branches/creeks/streams which can lead to so many other vistas. I've admired Lewis and Clark not for being intrepid explorers, but for engaging in so few sidetracks.

• mwoods
    16 years ago

Coming back to the beginning for me,means going from site to site to site and eventually hitting on a site that has a link to the site with which you began.

• sheila
    16 years ago

Yes, 735 degrees of separation:)

• Josh
    16 years ago

Well, I knew that I didn't know anything about a computer, but I didn't realize just how much I didn't know. It can really be disheartening to realize you are at least 10-15 years behind everyone else. I feel I've been on my tricycle (webtv) while everyone has been racing on their bikes...LOL Trying to learn to keep my balance while getting "lost" so often is no fun but I'm persevering. No skinned knees so far.

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

Josh ~ I think it's probable that no one under 40 knows most of what's going on with computers, and of those, only the ones who are in design and development. I have a 15 year blank between playing with bulky hardware and writing in a multitude of program languages to when -it seemed very sudden- PCs were for everyone in the office and half the people who weren't in the office! Software wasn't something you wrote for a specific application, but something you could buy easily -and with most of the bugs already exterminated. The only resemblence between those early programs and today's, seems to be that bugs always exist, the application will crash when most needed, and the instructions are indecipherable.

If you are on trike, I've still got training wheels. And they wobble.

• Janis_G
    16 years ago

How small we are, how little we know.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Josh, I started on a web tv. The very first day i started on a Little Rock Newspaper and ended by links to the Dept of Foreign Affairs for the Middle East and a page that said anyone could be investigated for coming to that site. There was a place for e-mails and i wrote them I was a little ole lady,my first time on line, and sorry about that. Never did hear from them. But was'nt worried anyway. Have many faults, but lack of patriotism is'nt one of them.

I still have a MSN2 and i'm always getting side tracked to heaven knows where.But the things i learn both useful and useless!! seems like i remember the useless most.

I wonder, if i lost my ability to learn would i lose my ability to know i could'nt learn? I know ,silly thought.
    It is great to have my MSN2 fixed and be back on line again after so long.

• Josh
    16 years ago

Vickie...gosh, how scary/funny for your first experience online. I feel extra safe having another webtv as backup, plus now the laptop. I really would hate to not be able to connect. So glad you're back online. josh

Sponsored
More Discussions