Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oscarthecat_gw

e-mail danger

oscarthecat
16 years ago

Talking to a computer person some time back I posed the following question. "If I send an e-mail to someone and their computer is turned off, what happens to the e-mail" He said," They are temporarily stored in a satellite, then delivered when your computer is turned on." Makes sense to me. But then I got to thinking what would happen if the satellite ran out of gas and came crashing to earth. Well I'll tell you what I think. There would be a lot of people killed by flying e-mail fragments. Suppose you get hit by an e-mail from somebody you didn't even like?Can you sue? Is there a gummint agency you can complain to? I think this calls for some real looking into. If you have any input on this please feel free to do so but it won't make any difference. Steve in Baltimore County

Comments (12)

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

Well actually, isn't it delivered to their email server? That would bring those emails back down to earth, so you don't have to worry.

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

Geez, Steve.
    Thanks!!

That's all I needed was one more thing to lose sleep over and worry about.

I have really given this a lot of thought, as you suggested.
    Being hit by someone's e-mail fragment...oh, me, oh my.

What part of that would be the most damaging/dangerous?
    Dangling participles?
    Improper sentence structure?
    Run on sentences?

No, I've got it.

Being hit by someone's flying P.

Sorry. :)

• lindac
    16 years ago

And think of all the spam...Oh my!! Pxxxx enlargers, Bxxb enlargers, "upstanding" drugs and schemes to sell the same to others...
    Would they hit harder than say a joke from a friend or a notice of a meeting next week?
    And after all these years...it's a wonder the sun can even shine through with all that stuff flying around in cyberspace!
    Do you suppose that's keeping the earth from cooling off and contributing to global warming?
    Maybe we ought to have a campaigne to get everyone to keep their computers turned on...
    AND....where do deleted emails go to? are they in some huge compressed file somewhere?
    It's a wonderment!
    Linda C

• gandle
    16 years ago

Oh yeah, and we used to have to dump the cache all the time. Do you suppose that stuff is flying around too?

• Janis_G
    16 years ago

I wonder, is it possible to store STUFF in outer space rather than renting those warehouse storage units.
    Just think of all the fun folks would have waking up to a set of china, a spare printer or, of course, a box of light bulbs on their front lawn.

Frankly the thought of being hit over the head by all those FWDs is the scariest thing I can think of.

Lord luv a duck, Steve.

• agnespuffin
    16 years ago

I used to dump my cache all the time until I noticed that the dust bunnies under the bed were getting fatter. I just knew they were there for a reason. They eat old cache contents.

• anneliese_32
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info, Agnes. No wonder my dust bunnies were so fat.

• lilod
    16 years ago

And what about the "mailer demon", the one telling you that your mail has fatal errors and goes to a special purgatory, usually never to be seen again?

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read. Keep it up!!!

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

Who's laughing? We are absolutely more or less serious about this.

The other night I vacuumed up a fat dust bunny and it got stuck in the tube. I took a yardstick to poke it loose, and you know what fell out? (Sing to the tune of the alphabet song) A,B,C,D,E,F,G,g,gee,go to, to, from, fwd... well, now I know where all those letters came from. Thanks, Agnes, for clearing up that mystery.

BTW, I now have a large bag of slightly used cache codes. Anyone need some for their compost pile? It's apparently self-multiplying, and I'm running out of space.

• agnespuffin
    16 years ago

I have a neighbor that uses one of those fancy-smancy vacuums that has a thingie of water to catch the dust....something to do with allergies I think.... Anyway she called me over the other day. She had been getting the dust bunnies up and the letters from her cache had floated up to the top. All the exe. mgn, jpg, sys, and etc. had floated up and got all mixed up together. It looked like some horrible alphabet soup mix after a two year old toddler got through eating.

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

You mean... they aren't supposed to be mixed??? I thought that was what "integrated systems" was doing... y'know, stirring them together to integrate....