Redlands show

orchidguyftl
14 years ago

Anyone going?

if so, what will you be looking for?

Comments (21)

• sambac
    14 years ago

I sooo will be going.. Missed the last 2 years. No wish list, but a truck load comes back with me. But for sure I am gonna look for more Schombs and blue catts(my new obsession). Plan to be there Saturday am.

• ray_ratliff
    14 years ago

I will be there bright & early on Friday morning. I am always on the look out for leafless species. I have been in contact with one particular grower who said they are bringing a couple dendrophylax funalis but for some reason said they will not hold one for me, hence I must be there Friday morning. Other than that, I will be looking for anything with a fantastic scent! What day & time will you be there?

-Ray-

• cjwatson
    14 years ago

I will be coasting through for a few minutes on Thurs afternoon to pick up preorders for myself and a few friends; get them out of the vendors' way. I will be there early Fri to SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, although I don't plan to buy a lot of plants for myself since I don't have room for more -- well, maybe a few interesting minis. But I do have wishlists from other orchid friends so my love of shopping will be well fullfilled -- if not my GH which is already full filled. Probably take Saturday off, maybe down to the Keys or up into Miami for the day, and then come back to the show or an hour or two Sunday morning before I start the boring two-day drive home.

• orchidguyftl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow Cj, it takes you 2 days to drive home in FL? Lot of stops, I guess? never taken me that long to drive anywhere down here...

Hey Ray, I will be there fri morning as it is species day, and thats what i'm mostly into. Not spending much this year due to low funds from the economy. But will probably treat myself to something..

Sambac, you looking for just schoms or crosses too?

• cjwatson
    14 years ago

I live 700 miles away from Miami. I am not going to drive that far in one day. It's usually a 1500 mile roundtrip when I count driving back and forth to the show from the hotel and hunting for restaurants along the way, etc.

• sambac
    14 years ago

CJW that is a long trip.. I am cringing on a 80 miles one way drive. If I am well fed and well hydrated I will be ok, not to mention the 'high' if you get a 'great find'.
    Orchidguy, I am still looking for species Schoms- the not so common ones. I have all the routine ones thriving!!! No crosses yet!

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

cj,
    I was interested in a pre-order from Eco-Orquideas and subsequent mailing to here, 2009. I never received a reply to my email. I'll be interested in your impression(s).

--Stitz--

• orchidguyftl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ah cj, thats understandable..
    Ok sambac, was wondering, just flasked some primary schom hybrids. Hoping that when they are ready they will go pretty easilly....

I'm going to look for a few things that I can use for my breeding program, Maybe an interesting Sobralia, or a neat species Den. Getting ready to flask some really neat Den crosses (nobile types with anosmum types) should be cool.

Maybe I'll see some of you there

• cjwatson
    14 years ago

Howard, I was interested in Eco's plants also but decided to look them over first this year rather than preorder. If my memory is working (less and less nowadays), they have been coming to Redlands for the last two years or so. I probably have even bought a plant or two from them. I'll pay attention and check them out and let you know what I think.

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

Yesterday, I finally received a response to my email of ~ 6 wks ago.

--Stitz--

• orchidguyftl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stitz, what was the outcome of the email?
    a pre order?

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

A pre-order was my original intent 6 wks ago. An acknowledgement response with payment instructions were rec'd yesterday. I'm not certain that I'll be able to successfully follow through quickly at this very late date.

• whitecat8
    14 years ago

Whine... you FL folks get half the shows. California gets the rest. And here I sit in Minnesota.

I'll live vicariously through you, so have loads of fun!

Whitecat8

• sambac
    14 years ago

WC8, I promise to look for a leopard price sogo!! Don't feel bad.

• whitecat8
    14 years ago

Sambac, you're a champ! Thanks, WC8

• sambac
    14 years ago

How was yesterday? Heading out shortly- hope it stays a little cloudy.

• vandavixen
    14 years ago

I'm far away from it too ..too hot to drive can't wait to hear what you guys get ..hope you post it..Fort lauderdale is 30 mins from me and the Boca Raton/delray area s are my spots ..I have NO air conditioning in my car and the plants will die going home ;'"
    oh yea so will I lol
    my sister used to work out there for them years ago when nobody really knew about it hihi...Have an awesome weekend !!

• sambac
    14 years ago

I was in Schomburgkia heaven at Hamyln Orchids booth- quite a few 'chids came home with me. I was dizzy with excitement, I did not look for THE PHAL(sorry WC8). Quite a crowd, some of the local growers prices were on the higher side. People were splurging and there were no obvious evidence of recession.

• aljj
    14 years ago

Sambac, I spent most of Friday in Hamlyn's booth, from one batch of schoms to the next and back again. I'm not sure what he had for albopurpureas remaining, but on Friday he had them with spikes the size (width and length) of many tibicinis. For a compact schom, they looked like they were on steroids, spikes as fat as my ring finger and easily 4 feet long. Al

• whitecat8
    14 years ago

Sambac,

It's just as well. I'm not working right now and gave up buying orchids till I got a job. Talk about motivation. But, if you'd found THAT Phal, the $$ would have appeared.

WC8

• toyo2960
    14 years ago

had a good time in Redlands as usual. wasn't too hot temp wise. good to see old friends.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz