Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffreyrich56

Eco smart Gardening, not just Organic!

jeffreyrich56
11 years ago

Organic and eco friendly growing are great options, but you need to know why you are doing it. Growing with most organic pesticides whether it�s a fungicide, algaecide, insecticide or herbicide is a smart step in sustainable gardening. Most of the "organic" pesticides are fast acting, so the don�t leave any harmful residuals behind for you, me or the cat! This will allow for no or very slow mutation resistance, and latter down the line, less chemical consumption. So good for me, good for you and good for your pockets. Go Green, or Organic or whatever you want to call it. Just do it for the right reasons. I personally love the Oxidate and Zerotol line. Agrowingsolution.com is a great resource for organic gardening. If you have time look at them, and if you have any questions I can�t answer here, one of my professors from UF is on the board there.

Comments (17)

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Organic gardening is about more then simply substituting some "eco friendly" poisons for the more harmful ones. If one practices proper organic gardening methods then the use of even the organic poisons can be greatly reduced. A good healthy that grows strong and healthy plants that are better able to ward off insect pests and plant diseases should be the goal of an organic gardener/farmer.
    It appears very strange that someone would sign in and post about certain products on the same day.

• greginnd
    11 years ago

Yes, this appears to be an advertisement veiled as a forum post. Looks like a new company trying to spread the word. The company and product may be ok but it is disingenuous to promote your products this way. Why don't you buy ad space?

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

The whole concept of killing bugs to protect plants is wrongheaded. No matter what your UF professor thinks about it.

• jeffreyrich56
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I must apologize if it seems like I am ghost advertizing. I do support local Organic companies in the southern areas but this was not my intention. That being said I have to disagree with some of the comments. Organic compounds that are organic chemicals are a very safe product to use, even when someone isn�t growing completely organic. Now if your talking about true compounds, if it has carbon as the main string then there is hard to find one compound that is not organic. Are you speaking of Organic compounds or "organic products"? There is a big difference. Organic chemistries are usually built around fast action and consumption. Its meant to do its job and then release. Not substitute "poison". Activated Peroxigen Chemistry kill pathogens , the products they produce are simply water and Oxygen. PAA+H202 yeild H20 + O. Copper and Chlorine are some of the most hazardous chemicals on earth or poisons. Neem oil is organic, and people love using this because of what it does and its natural. As far as my UF professor, he went through school for some time to become and expert in his field and give consultants like me the knowledge to work closely with growers. So yes I would care when a educated person has to say in the field that I practice or play. Please spend some time understanding what organic chemistries are and do before using the old trading poison for poison argument.

• art_1
    11 years ago

Your post hardly makes any sense. I mean it is possible to decipher, but it still seems like you are here to advertise and many of us feel that purchasing 'products' is largely unnecessary.

• jeffreyrich56
    Original Author
    11 years ago

art_1 I again am sorry if you feel I am advertizing, and that my post doesn't make any sence. The products that i mentioned that were in the first post a product carried by a good friend of mine. I just had a great discussion with an associate of mine about neem and activated peroxygen chemistry and those two were on my mind. I was simply stating were you could get some if you wanted it,most people ask about products that you get good results with. I also like Harrels Fertilizer, is that advertising. BWI, Helena and about 50 other places carry this as well as anyother product you can think of. I believe that people should think about other options and feel that speaking of them is a good way making people think. If you would like to negate an aspect of what I said, by all means do it. I will by no means tell any body about any product and where they can purchase it from now on. Thanks for the friendly welcome

• myluck
    11 years ago

Monsanto sells safe chemicals too. Just ask them and they will tell so.

• jeffreyrich56
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok I think i get whats going on, i tried to speak about a topic i know about but failed. On a final note, I get paid for my answeres to problems. This is my job, I am a Consultant that works with a vary reputable lab. If i truely wanted to adv for my own personal gain, i would be telling you to please look at my consulting website, and give you a list of the growers i work with. I see am throwing stones in the air. If anybody wants to truly "add" something to the conversation please do. I allways love a good hort and ag discussion.

• art_1
    11 years ago

Just like the horticultural consultant selling $100/gallon compost tea 'because it makes 100 gallons.' So does a jug of laundry detergent.

• jeffreyrich56
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yup thats me, selling 100 somthing for somthing, were you born a idiot or did nature nurture it?

• dicot
    11 years ago

Peroxigenesis is next to godliness.

{{gwi:149415}}

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

It doesn't make a difference whether the insecticides are natural or synthesized; actively attacking bugs to protect plants is a strategy born to fail, and fail it does, all the time everywhere, while costing enormous amounts of time and money that could have gone into soil mineralizing.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Jeffrey, many of us talk about certain products that we like and want to share the information with others in these forums. I, for one, have talked about the specific kind of potting medium that I prefer over all others, different gardening tools, etc. Never once have I extolled the virtues of any of the products that I have been sent to 'test'. Never. And I've been sent hundreds of products over the years.

These are public forums and tend to get over-run with people who don't read the rules before posting and think that they can use these forums for their personal marketing. As a first time poster talking about a name brand product made you suspect in what is virtually a self-policing system.

As a consultant, you should be extra cautious about touting one brand over another on a public forum....it's just not professional. In your original post, you came across as a salesman...and that is very irritating. (You found that out, didn't you...lolol.)

You should also know that we are not a rodeo of rubes here. GardenWeb is an enormous community comprised of all kinds of people with all levels of expertise and education.

The products you've mentioned are great. Your methodology of discussing them isn't. In the future, I'd suggest that you get your thoughts together so that you can communicate in a more logical, cohesive manner; add your own personal experience with this product so that you don't come across as a bad shoe salesman. If you haven't used a particular product yourself, then don't represent it.

It feels to me like you had a chance to share something of value, but you blew it big time.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

The goal of an organic gardener/farmer is to get to the point where no poisons of any kind would be needed to control the few pests. Eco smart gardening should not be about reaching for some poison simply because there is an insect pest present. Understanding how different insects are a part of our environment, the role they play, is necessary to knowing how to control those that are not wanted.
    There is no "eco smart" poison since all of them kill beneficial insects as well as those targeted by the producer of the poison.

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

Kimm, we agree completely on this issue.

• jeffreyrich56
    Original Author
    11 years ago

10-4 I get it guys, thought we completely disagree on methodology, I understand you concerns with my post and I apologize. Take care and have a good week.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

And you as well, Jeffrey.