Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Gibraltar - part 1

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

We were approaching Gibraltar slowly. I was surprised with the amount of marine traffic in the area. We were not due into port until noon, but we were close enough for me to take this photo early morning.

Comments (12)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One half of the Pillars of Hercules. There is some dispute about whether Monte Hacho in Ceuta (small Spanish municipality immediately east of Morocco) or Jebel (or Jabal) Musa in Morocco is the actual southern portion of the pillars. After a lot of research, I have decided that this is Jebel Musa in Morocco. Of course the other half of the Pillars of Hercules is the Rock of Gibraltar.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On an early Saturday afternoon, this is the main shopping street in the city of Gibraltar.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I saw this and was amazed that she never moved (at least while I was watching). Most pedestrians just walked by without acknowledging her presence.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a prime photo op site, immediately behind the silver lady.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A door photo (if you can believe I would include one). The keystone above the door shows 1870. Again, I am amazed at the placement of the doorbell. The old key hole is evident, but a new lock has been installed, as have push plates. Still a striking door.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Charles V was a huge presence in Spain. He required that a defensive wall be erected to surround the city, built in 1540, it was strengthened in 1552. I got myself confused, but I believe that this is the one where a drawbridge was installed. Barbary pirates were the primary threat to the city.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This shows more of the wall in what is now called Casemates Square.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By Saturday afternoon at 4, almost every store in Gibraltar was closed; as though the city was required to be deserted. It did not help that it had been drizzling.

I did see a menu board outside The Star Bar; it claims to be the oldest bar in Gibraltar. I do have a photo, but the wording is too small to show on The Garden Party. However, I did copy one of the items: âÂÂBreakfast all day. Two fried eggs, two rashers of bacon, two sausages, sautéed mushrooms, grilled tomato, fried potatoes, baked beans, traditional black pudding & toast. Served with a complimentary cup of tea or freshly ground coffee.â That is a lot of food! The price was in British Pounds Sterling. I converted it to US Dollars - $11.75.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

The morning shots of Gibraltar are great.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is sunrise, long before we were close to The Rock.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

Fabulous - a place so steeped in history

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Great photos and narratives.
    Lol, where do I start, I like it all.

The nature pics. The street scene, and oh yes, the door and the wall photo.
    Thanks. Jim.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions