Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragaria_gw

pond with small stream and falls; new pics

fragaria
16 years ago

I took these pictures yesterday evening and a few more this morning. We are enjoying a NorthWest heat wave. The afternoons have been in the 80s. We love to sit by the pond in the evenings and watch the fish eat. A Great Blue Heron and later raccoons ate all the koi. Now we share the pond with feeder gold fish and lots of frogs.

{{gwi:178796}}

{{gwi:178797}}

{{gwi:178798}}

{{gwi:178799}}

Comments (16)

• slook

very beautiful! gorgeous! nice rocks and driftwood! looks so very natural!

• slook

• slook

• slook

• youreit
    16 years ago

Thank you SO much for posting new pics of your pond! When I first started dreaming about ponds, THAT is what I wanted. Ok, I still want it, but I'll have to wait for DH's encore performance of pond building. Or until we move somewhere bigger. :D

That looks just like the place I picture in my mind as my "special spot"...the place where, if I found it in nature, I'd never leave. :)

Brenda

• prairie_bogger
    16 years ago

Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing your pond with us. I agree with Brenda-- a place I would never want to leave either.

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Nice work, and alot of it I bet! Just beautiful.

• joeyb5980
    16 years ago

Gorgeous- looks like pics from a magazine!

• wanderoze
    16 years ago

It looks very tranquil and natural. Beautiful!

• fireant
    16 years ago

I love the wild and natural look of your pond and stream, not an easy thing to capture.

• lsst
    16 years ago

It is just beautiful! I love all the rocks and how natural it looks.

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

i love the smooth river rock area! natural doesn't even seem to describe it. it looks so "real"- great job!

is there an underlayment under them? i ask b/c i don't know how to do squat. i have tried similar on a small scale, but ants nests in it and bring the dirt to the surface. my rocks are barely visible now. not to mention fall leaves.

• fragaria
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your kind and generous feed back. To answer your question, fairy_toadmother, the rocks on the edge of the pond and stream are covering the edges of the rubber underlayment in most of the areas. There is some overlap of course. I tried to create beaches on the turns of stream that have no underlayment. We built the berms from the tailings of the pond and pea gravel patio area. That soil was very sandy. We then added lots of topsoil. Serendipitously the berms are very easy to care for.

Here are some close ups of some of my husband's drift wood collection that we have placed around the pond and two other berms. We love the small vignettes that each small grouping of plants, wood, and stone provide. Like many near sighted children I have a love for the views right at my feet

{{gwi:132450}}

{{gwi:132449}}

{{gwi:178800}}

{{gwi:132452}}

• youreit
    16 years ago

I love those vignettes, too! Like little micro-gardens. The combinations are so beautiful!

Brenda

• koiaddict
    16 years ago

What a beautiful piece of heaven here on earth. I know it has to bring your hours and hours of joy and tranquility. By the way, where did you find the moss that covers your rocks or is that something that's local to your area?

Cindy (Koiaddict)
    Jax, FL

• fragaria
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have lots of native moss, but the moss that is in the pictures is a scotch moss (not really a moss) that I purchased and have divided around the pond. My thought originally, was that I had too much sun in that area for moss, and as the maple trees grew and shaded the area the native moss would take over.