Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_gee_gw

Angraecum Crestwood

mike_gee
16 years ago

Veitchii x sesquipedale. Recently acquired one. Anyone growing this? Large specimen. Handsome O.O.B..

Light? Conditions? Blooms?

Mike

Comments (7)

• howard_a
    16 years ago

Ang. sesquipedale

This is a hot growing species from the island of Madagascar that has 1 to 6 fragrant blooms in the winter on shorter than the leaves, 12" [30 cm] long, bracteate, axillary inflorescence and is found at altitudes of 100 meters or less on sloping tree trunks and crotches of trees near the seashore and it is consistantly warm and has abundant rainfall year round that produce large, waxy, long-lived, fragrant flowers through the winter and is an evergreen epiphyte that needs even water and fertilizer and thrives if given ample air circulation. It has the common name of the 'Comet Orchid'. It has rarely straight, many leafed stems with distichous, ligulate, coriaceous, unequally bilobed apically leaves. This species was made famous by Charles Darwin's prediction that there would be a pollinator aout there that could reach to the bottom of the extremely long spur in the back of the flower. His prediction cam e true with the discovery of a long-tongued hawk moth, Xanthopan morganii praedicta years later.

The above came from Jay Pfahl's site. The other parent was not listed. It might itself be a hybrid and therefore outside the scope of his species listings. In any case a hybrid, even a complex one cannot be killed by following what is known to be good culture for one of its parents. I don't know how far you will get trying to duplicate the climate of the island of Madagascar in your home but there you are. Luckily, it does not really require that you do. It sounds like you have a nice plant there. Good luck with it. Remember that we are here and ask or post with comments early. Don't wait until two leaves are dead. If even one starts to yellow or otherwise go off that is warning enough that something is out of kilter. Better yet, why not tell us right now what conditions you are/can provide for it.

H

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

Veitchii, known as the "King of Angraecum hybrids" is a cross of eburneum x sesquipedale. Sesquipedale is known as the "King of Angraecoid species". Magdalenae is known as the "Queen of Angraecums", not that that's relevant here.

So by crossing one hybrid with sesq. in it, with sesq. itself, you're getting a double king. That can't be good.

Eburneum is huge and sesq. is large, so be prepared for one giant Ang! I don't have eburneum but I think it grows in nearly full sun. I grow my sesq. in as much light as I can give it when inside, and its got a shaded western exposure outside right now. It hasn't bloomed for me yet but it was a seedling about three or four years ago so blooms aren't really expected quite yet. Good luck!
    -MB

• mike_gee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

'Don't wait until two leaves are dead. If even one starts to yellow or otherwise go off that is warning enough that something is out of kilter. Better yet, why not tell us right now what conditions you are/can provide for it.'

Decade or so orchid experience off and on. Recent acquisition. Healthy specimen. Discussion w/H - overdriving tubes. Final outcome- didn't go there.

Conditions: Natural indoor light sparce. 4 tube banks + cfls 4-6 ea., 100w equiv. 6 such sets.

Summer- W. balcony 2pm start -or- E. - thru 11 AM. Each balcony receives fairly direct light or deep cool shade due to obstruction. Can be windy.

'So by crossing one hybrid with sesq. in it, with sesq. itself, you're getting a double king. That can't be good.'

Why not good MB?
    Approx. 15". Stiff silver green leaves in active growth. Yah. its an 'Ang on 'roids.'

Retailer stated Crestwood takes phal light. Research indicates higher light, Retailer stated get good light on it in fall and a cool down for Spring bloom.

Pfahl's site states low light- Sesquipedale. Can this be?
    Any idea about temp.?
    Mike

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

When royalty breeds together, hemophilia and other recessive diseases can result. (it was a joke)

Intermediate to warm temps.

Pfahl's site often has questionable light guidance, IMO. I think the idea is that they will grow in lower light but they'll do better in higher light. I think they typically are somewhat shaded by overhead branches or rock faces, etc. I'd put it in as much light as possible up to burning, and within reason.
    -MB

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

When royalty breeds together, hemophilia and other recessive diseases can result. (it was a joke)

Intermediate to warm temps.

Pfahl's site often has questionable light guidance, IMO. I think the idea is that they will grow in lower light but they'll do better in higher light. I think they typically are somewhat shaded by overhead branches or rock faces, etc. I'd put it in as much light as possible up to burning, and within reason.
    -MB

• mike_gee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks MB.
    Did some digging. My misfroigal with details. Good Catt light is preferential. Xmas bloomer. Agreed about Pfahl's site but always the first stop.

Any steerage on potting, water, cool down, rest? Hear you're the Ang pro. The 'King' is a beaut. Royalty recommended
    Mike

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

I'm not the pro. I just have a bunch and I talk about them a lot. There are more than a few people that grow them better than me.

I would give them a quite dry rest in December and January, decreasing in November or so. But in general you should follow the roots for when to water/fert and when to rest them. If the tips are growing, the plant is in a growth phase. When the tips get covered w/ velamen, the plant is resting, even if leaves are growing.

Well draining mix in the pot. I'd probably use a rather large clay pot since the plant will get so big. I've heard a 'rumor' that sesq. should be grown in a pro-mix type of media. I've seen photos of them growing on the surface of a rotting, fallen log...so it makes some sense that they would like that kind of mix. My sesq. is in LECA pellets, if I had another one, I'd try it in a potting soil or a terrestrial mix I think. They're infamous for not liking their roots to be disturbed, especially as they get older.
    -MB