Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mashamcl

My Antiques, Austins and Some Yard Shots (very long)

mashamcl
14 years ago

Here are some of my roses, and some group shots. I have a small yard so everything grows pretty tightly together.

Part of a front yard bed with Sophie's Perpetual in front, Lady Hillingdon on the right, Carding Mill on the left, and lots of buds of Jude the Obscure on the far left
{{gwi:209428}}From Antiques May2010

A close-up of Sophie's Perpetual blooming with a cranesbill. The rose on the right is Margo Koster
{{gwi:209429}}From Antiques May2010

Heritage beginning to bloom
{{gwi:209430}}From Antiques May2010

Lady Hillingdon
{{gwi:209431}}From Antiques May2010

Mme Caroline Testout, cl
{{gwi:209432}}From Antiques May2010

One of my two small Crepuscule plants
{{gwi:209433}}From Antiques May2010

A bloom of Purple Pavement inside a snowball viburum
{{gwi:209434}}From Antiques May2010

My Pat Austin is just beginning to bloom
{{gwi:209435}}From Antiques May2010
{{gwi:209436}}From Antiques May2010

Souvenir de Claudius Denoyel. It has been blooming very well for a young plant. The fragrance is wonderful. There is more blue in it than my monitor is showing.
{{gwi:209437}}From Antiques May2010

Gertrude Jekyll. I pruned it ruthlessly in winter so it has been small so far.
{{gwi:209438}}From Antiques May2010

Rosette Delizy
{{gwi:209439}}From Antiques May2010

William Shakespeare 2000. This one is probably going on 6' across and about 3' up. I have two of them on either side of the driveway. The shrubs next to it are the neighbors'
{{gwi:209441}}From Antiques May2010

Cool weather color
{{gwi:209442}}From Antiques May2010

Mme Berard climbing an arbor. The sweet pea shrub really wasn't supposed to get that close to it but it grew larger than expected:-)
{{gwi:209443}}From Antiques May2010

I like this dreamy picture
{{gwi:209444}}From Antiques May2010

Roseraie de l'Hay. Mine is a grafted plant from DA
{{gwi:209445}}From Antiques May2010

A little pelargonium I like. The rose to the left is a very old Just Joey
{{gwi:209446}}From Antiques May2010

Sharifa Asma and Ebb Tide
{{gwi:209447}}From Antiques May2010

A close-up of Sharifa. I don't think it is a typical-looking bloom
{{gwi:209448}}From Antiques May2010

Cecille Brunner, unpruned and mostly uncared for
{{gwi:209449}}From Antiques May2010
{{gwi:209450}}From Antiques May2010

This is a bed in the back yard. It has mostly young plants - Heaven on Earth, Julia Child, Angel Face, Cecille Brunner and Zeffy on the fence
{{gwi:209451}}From Antiques May2010

First bud on Old Korbel Gold. The bloom is quite large and the fragrance very strong
{{gwi:209452}}From Antiques May2010

Christopher Marlowe looking pinker than usual
{{gwi:209453}}From Antiques May2010

Variegata di Bologna. It blooms generously but suffers from every conceivable disease. If I touch a cane rust rains down on me. I don't know why I keep it.
{{gwi:209454}}From Antiques May2010

A bloom of Reichpraesident von Hindenburg lying in the thyme. The tiny buds next to it are the polyantha Sweet Pea
{{gwi:209455}}From Antiques May2010

Yves Piaget. My bush is doing much better this year, not a bloom has balled despite the cold spring. Maybe it needed time to mature.
{{gwi:209456}}From Antiques May2010

Gruss an Aachen
{{gwi:209457}}From Antiques May2010

growing into a variegated hebe
{{gwi:209458}}From Antiques May2010

Francis Dubreuil
{{gwi:209459}}From Antiques May2010
{{gwi:209460}}From Antiques May2010

Bishop's Castle
{{gwi:209461}}From Antiques May2010

Jude the Obscure. I love the fragrance!
{{gwi:209462}}From Antiques May2010
{{gwi:209463}}From Antiques May2010

Crown Princess Margareta and Abraham Darby with Bishop's Castle behind CPM. CPM and I always play a tug of war - she wants to hug the wall and I want her to grow up an arbor. I usually see the basals too late and hence this strange look.
{{gwi:209464}}From Antiques May2010

Baron Girod de l'Ain. Mine is a grafted plant and fairly vigorous.
{{gwi:209465}}From Antiques May2010

Janet. She is a very frustrating rose. I don't know if she's a bush or a climber. Every bloom in this picture had to be staged - they hang straight down on their own.
{{gwi:209466}}From Antiques May2010

They are beautiful when you can see them...
{{gwi:209467}}From Antiques May2010

Golden Celebration
{{gwi:209468}}From Antiques May2010

Penelope
{{gwi:209469}}From Antiques May2010
{{gwi:209470}}From Antiques May2010

Colette
{{gwi:209471}}From Antiques May2010

Blooms on a doubefile viburnum
{{gwi:209472}}From Antiques May2010

Thanks for looking!

Masha

Comments (30)

• le_jardin_of_roses
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Masha, you have outdone yourself this time. Masha, please create a coffee table book with all your photos of roses. I'll buy 12 of them! The pic of Ebb Tide and Sharifa broke my heart because of it's beauty. Between you and Ingrid with your incredible photos and gardens, well, I don't know why I even post photos, you both put mine to shame, but in a good way.

{{gwi:209473}}

Juliet

• armyyife
    13 years ago

What can I say! I wish I could take a stroll through your garden myself! You have done a fantastic job! I love your close ups, bush shots, and long shots, thank you so much. I wish I could grow Austins here but I think it is waaay too humid. Do you ever spray your DA's? ~Meghan

• mendocino_rose
    13 years ago

It's just that wonderful wonderful time of year!

• User
    13 years ago

What a great collection I love the shot of Colette.

• vuwugarden
    13 years ago

Masha, as my kids would say, "YOU ROCK!!!"

I cant seem to choose a favorite as I like all your roses. Superb photography, superb lighting, superb roses, superb companion plantsÂjust simply Superbalous! Is that even a word?

I aspire to have a garden like yoursÂ.somedayÂ.somedayÂ

Audrey

• oldblush
    13 years ago

Masha your front garden must be a real jaw dropper for passersby. Everything is just absolutely perfect. I can't pick a favorite but Lady Hillingdon is mighty pretty. The pics of Penelope and Golden Celebration are awesome.

• steelrose
    13 years ago

I love your yard--the color juxtapositions are wonderful and I'm studying the way you incorporate your companions.

Bravo,

Colleen

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Masha, your garden is so wonderful. I feel this year you outdid yourself. I don't even know where to start to comment on your photos!

Maybe I should begin with my absolute favorite which is the first photo of Mme. Berard on the arbor. This rose looks so unbelievable beautiful in my eyes. The combination with the Sweet Pea bush sets of the colors of the rose perfectly!

The color combination of Sharifa Asma and Ebb Tide is also very well done.

Cecil Bruenner: just love it!

Gruss an Aachen is a very pretty rose and I really like the photo where he is growing into a Hebe.

Seeing you Jude the Obscure I really regret that I didn't order him from Heirloom Roses when they had the Austin Roses sale. Love the flower form and the color.

Again, I feel Janet stands out in terms of her beauty (and flower size!), but after you repeatedly are complaining that the rose is not able to support the flowers by herself I think I finally found one rose that I don't need to have ;-)!

Thanks for posting all these lovely photos!

Christina

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Masha, this is one of the most wonderful groups of roses from a private garden I've seen in a long time. Your photography is superb. Lady Hillingdon, Bishop's Castle, William Shakespeare and Janet are some of my favorites. Strangely enough, my plant of Janet had fairly upright flowers and the spring blooms were phenomenal, very large and beautifully formed. Perhaps I'll have it again some day.

Ingrid

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

oh my goodness-----what a gorgeous collection of roses.

You said you have a small yard you sure make the best use of the space

How many roses do you have?

Thanks for sharing all this beauty.

Florence

• Krista_5NY
    13 years ago

I love the look of cranesbill with roses, beautiful pics of some wonderful roses. Thanks for sharing.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I'm baaack...

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing your garden and roses. The df viburnum is beautiful.

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you very much! What wonderful people you all are.

Juliet, thanks for your suggestion, perhaps I will one day...

Meghan, if you are ever in California, you are very welcome to visit. I don't spray any of my roses (too lazy), that's why my Variegata di Bologna is so sick.

Mendocino rose, you must be looking at miles and miles of roses now! I hope you will post some pictures soon.

Thank you, labrea, and I hope your Pat has become more her usual self.

Thank you, Audrey for your Superbalous comment:-).

Oldblush, I am glad you liked my pictures. I can only hope to be as good a photographer as you are.

Thank you Colleen. I only became interested in companions after I couldn't fit any more roses in:-).

Christina, thank you, and I am sure Heirloom will have a sale again:-). My Jude took awhile to establish, and is not a fast rebloomer, but the fragrance is really and truly unbeliavable. It grows at a front corner of my yard at an intersection of sidewalks and I do see people smelling it from time to time.

Ingrid, your report of Janet gives me hope. Perhaps I should hard prune her in winter, did you hard prune yours? How big did yours get and why did you get rid of it?

Florence, counting all the doubles and triples of the same variety I have over 100, both modern and antique. I choose mainly for fragrance.

Thank you, Renee and harborrose.

Masha

• jeffcat
    13 years ago

I like how I can see your full bush's along with the blooms. How tall is your Pat Austin? It appears as if your Pat Austin stays shorter and much wider than any other Pat Austins I've seen before. Pat reminds me of a fireworks show the way the blooms come and go, then pop open in flurries all over the place. I understand the goofy WS2000 growth habit. I just cut about a 1/3 of my WS2000 out because there was a whole bunch of growth accommodating some lateral growth. It throws out canes on the lower more mature canes, but they are not strong enough and just grow straight out and up...not that it matters...the blooms and fragrance are more than worth it. Your Sharifa Asma sport looks very close to Evelyn in terms of color range and somewhat rosette, although not as cupped and quartered. An interesting sport. Francis Dubreuil looks intoxicating deep and rich in color...one I need to have.

Masha how do you post photos from your picasa album. I tried doing it with mine, but I couldn't find the HTML code to share on gardenweb.

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeff, my Pat is just a little wider than tall, she is about 5'x5' now after pruning and will grow much taller by the end of the season. It is probably how I prune it that gives it its shape. My WS2000 is prone to cane breaking. I will have to prune mine severely as it is getting into the neighbors' shrubs - perhaps it will help with cane breaking. I don't think my Sharifa sported - it is just an unusual looking bloom.
    In Picasa, designate your album as public or unlisted (not signin required). Then double click on the photo you want to upload. When the photo is displayed find "Link to this photo" to the right of it. Click on that, and in the little menu that will appear, select the size, then copy the code under "embed image". Paste that code into the GW message.

Masha

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Masha, your description of Jude the Obscure didn't really help to reduce my regrets not to have ordered Jude the Obscure, especially the fragrance part ;-)!

Christina

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

Thank you much for posting all of these eye-candy pictures. That took a lot of work to do this.

• huttnem
    13 years ago

I love the dreamy picture too and Sharifa and Ebb Tide and Francis Dubreuil and pretty much all of them. :)

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Christina, the bustopher and huttnem.

Masha

• carla17
    13 years ago

Masha, what a delightful treat to see your roses and garden. It's very beautiful!

Carla

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

YAY! more photos of your garden!

in the first photo ( http://lh4.ggpht.com/msYSyD4IXgA/S97-IX90i5I/AAAAAAAAAR0/d1qOVsupaW0/s800/send085.JPG )
    How close together are they planted?

I love your cranesbill... I wanted to get some but I was worried about it requiring too much water or not being heat tolerant enough. What do you think?

Rosette Delizy is so interesting! How big is it for you?

Love Mme Berard. I got one thanks to your photos. :)
    Can you take a farther back photo sometime of your arbor? It looks so pretty!

That photo of Heritage is so gorgeous.
    that huge Cecille Brunner fills me with joy as does Gruss an Aachen and CPM.
    I definitely need more thyme in my yard. :) The ones I have are doing so well... I need more!

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Carol.

Thank you, aimeekitty. In the first picture, I guess they are about 4 feet apart. Cranesbill does great for me here, I grow several different varieties and they bloom well and nothing died. My Rosette Delizy is a baby but the one at the Heritage is maybe 5x5. I can't take a picture of Mme Berard and the arbor because if I step away from it the contrast between the dark arbor and light Mme Berard becomes too much for the camera to handle and Mme Berard blooms become overexposed blobs:-(.

Masha

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, Masha! I guess my backyard will look like yours one day if I play it right...! mine are about that far apart, approx... they look so cozy (yours!)

Does your camera have a more manual function? You might be able to change the light setting. I find I have to do that with whiter roses sometimes.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Masha, I did prune Janet, which I got from David Austin, and cut rather far back when I deadheaded. I very much regret having gotten rid of my two Janets who fried where they were planted. I should have moved the roses to a better location rathrer than discarding them.. I would know better now and not be so hasty. To me Janet is a different and beautiful Austin.

Ingrid

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you aimeekitty. My camera has lots of functions:-), but whichever way you go, you either see the arbor or the rose...

Thank you Ingrid. I cut Janet back hard when I prune too because of those thin laterals, but they keep growing as thin as ever. It is giving me two basals now and they seem thicker than the other canes so maybe there is hope for it...

Masha

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Masha---I juat had to come back this morning for another peek at your collection of roses. It sure is a treat for the eyes and heart.
    Your garden is amazing----and your photography is wonderful.

Thanks for the second visit--
    Florence

• annabeth
    13 years ago

Lordy, Masha! Words can't come right now--except what seems to be an understatement: how beautiful your garden is! I can only hope someday that mine will look half so good. I especially want to say THANKS FOR POSTING all the pics that you do.

P.S. Although it too bloomed generously, my Variegata di Bologna is almost solid black on one part of it due to BS. It is the worst in my yard in a very BS year. I was hoping that the heat would do the trick for the BS but so far the heat hasn't happened yet. I'm going to have to spray it and some others. Thanks for mentioning it as it makes me feel not so alone. :)
    Annabeth

• sanju
    13 years ago

Masha, I just saw the heading of your post saying "long" and my heart started beating excitedly. I quickly grabbed a warm cup of coffee (its freezing cold and foggy here in Melbourne)and decided to settle down to enjoy the show. It was as breathtaking as ever. I absolutely love the combination of Sharifa and Ebb and am planning to do it myself. Your WS2K is so beautiful, I wish mine would grow like that. Do you prune it hard every winter? I have pruned mine the last two years, but I wonder if I should leave it as it is this year? Its hardly grown more than a foot and a half. Your Cecile Brunner is magnificent and I love Roseraie de L'Hay is beautiful and I was especially excited to see Christopher Marlowe since I have ordered it too this year. I am not fond of cream roses, but loved Gruss! All the others look wonderful too. You have a lovely garden and thanks for posting the pictures.
    Sanju

• cweathersby
    13 years ago

Harumph.
    Californians.
    All those wonderful blooms. No bs.