Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iwalani_75

Teas for a 50 ft Wall

iwalani_75
12 years ago

I'm considering planting teas along a block wall that is 50 ft long. I live in AZ so temps are often over 100 degrees in the summer. I need some help figuring out how to arrange the bed and with what. My considerations are color, fragrance, height, foliage, and disease resistance in a combination that would compliment each other. I've narrowed it down to these that I like the most, but I have no experience with them.

Niles Cochet

Mrs. B.R. Cant

Monsieur Tillier

Lady Hillingdon

I've considered planting the length of the wall with one type, but I think I would get bored. I'm tossing around the idea of having one large central rose, then off setting it with other types to either side. I am sure they will all grow larger than their stated dimensions. I would prefer to plant with consideration given to it's mature size.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (11)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

One thing to think about is the wall itself and its position in relation to the sun. If it is stucco or concrete, it may well reflect considerable heat and light, making the roses endure even hotter and brighter conditions than they otherwise would. This would apply if the roses are to be planted on the south (sunny) side of the wall. On the north (shady) side, they make actually get some protection from heat (especially the root systems, which prefer coolness), and need less water.

Something to consider.

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

You might also want to look into china roses - some of them are more heat loving than even the teas. I would also consider banksies - they love heat, and there are now some that re-bloom.

Jackie

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Good advice from both Hoov and Jackie.

We have a long, 14-ft-tall concrete block retaining wall (long ago painted creme).
    The wall faces South, so even here in our cool coastal area, it grabs every bit of heat, and reflects it back.

We found that to make roses work here, we needed to break that heat, which regularly cooked canes to death. Adding some latticework panels along the wall, behind the roses helped quite a lot, but even so, the site required roses that were well-foliaged up, and lighter colors did better than dark ones, for the most part.

One lower section of wall doomed three different cultivars in a row. Finally, we replaced the last victim with 'Louis Philippe,' which has absolutely flourished there. Left un-pruned, it has grown up and bushed out to the point that it covers almost all of the offending bit of wall. It's never sun-burned, never had any disease, and is never completely out of bloom.

We've grown all of the cultivars you've named, on our hillside, tho not against the wall. All have done well, except Mrs. B.R. Cant, which has been laggardly. Lady Hillingdon and Mons. Tillier have a certain amount of bare cane, which could have problems up against the wall. (You could plant dwarf lavender to protect those areas.) Niles Cochet, in particular, is tough as nails, and I think will be a joy to you. (Have you considered the other Cochets? They're all great, tho I agree that Niles is somewhat superior.)

Maman Cochet:
    {{gwi:220002}}

White Maman Cochet:
    {{gwi:220003}}

Niles Cochet:
    {{gwi:220004}}

Jeri

• iwalani_75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hoovb - The wall is cinder block painted a taupe color. I believe the wall is facing North and slightly East.

Jackie - Chinas were something I had not really looked into. Banksies would most likely be the best option, but l like larger flowers.

Jeri - Pictures are fabulous. Thanks so much for describing your experience with each of these roses. I've considered the other Cochets although I really like the color and foliage of Niles. I don't like bare canes. I definitely will take your advice about putting up the latticework along the wall, possibly with lavender in the foreground.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!! Right now I am thinking Niles in the center with a Louis Philippe along either side of it. What do you think? It's suprising to me since I thought I would tend towards pinks.

Do you have any other ideas for another type of rose to plant with them or do you think I should stick with those two considering the area I have to work with? What about putting up a temporary sunscreen until they get well established, say for a year or two? Do you have a preference as to a good source for these roses(own root)? I really appreciate everyone's help.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I love your grouping of Louis-NILES-Louis -- Please remember to give them lots of space, as both will make big plants. I also think your temp sunscreen might be a smart move. I've seen that done in both Phx and Las Vegas.

If it were ME, and I wanted to add a different rose, I would stay in the same family, and use Maman Cochet -- but if you want something different, there's lemon-tinged white 'Le Pactole,' tho it would surely be pure white for you. (See link)

FWIW, we are just planning to plant "Magnolia Cemetery Rose" and "Elisabeth's China" (two "found" red Chinas) separated by a "found" presumed 'Ducher' (white China).

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jaspermplants
    12 years ago

Mons Tillier is about 6-7 feet tall now and I trim him twice per year if I can. He's tall and slender. Mrs BR Cant is young in my garden but she is spreading I think. She blooms all the time (except for summer heat). My Niles Cochet is young but I have a 3-4 year old Maman Cochet and she is about 5-6 feet tall and somewhat spreading. Lady Hillingdon for me is smallish after 2 years in the garden (2-3 feet tall) and somewhat spreading.

I have alot of trouble with reflected heat in the summer for roses planted against the wall here in my Phx metro garden. I have roses planted against a wall that get morning only sun and they fried last summer. I spot shaded them last summer but will definately put a more thorough shade structure (shade cloth) on them this summer. I've probably lost more roses to reflected heat against a wall than for any other reason. I usually put the shade cloth (I also use beach umbrellas that stick into the ground) up in May, depending on how hot it gets, and take them down in October.

Good luck, teas roses are beautiful and seem to like our dry climate.

• jaspermplants
    12 years ago

I want to add I'm glad to hear of a fellow Arizonan planting tea and old garden roses. I would highly recommend the China rose Archduke Charles; does great in my garden. Also, any teas plus the ones you mentioned.

I've bought alot of roses from Chamblees and Antique Rose Emporium as they are fairly close by and sell large roses. I usually don't plant much past Jan or Feb as I've found roses planted later than that have a much lower survival rate. I like planting roses in Nov & Dec best.

Other tea roses I'd recommend for our area:

Duchesse de Brabant & Mme Joseph Schwartz
    Any of the Cochet tea roses; they are wonderful here
    Alister Stella Gray for a climbing rose (noisette)

There are many many more!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

If you want to vary colors a bit, Miss Atwood is a very fast-growing, large rose with apricot blooms. I have her in a row with pink teas and it looks quite good because it's a soft apricot color. Lady Hillingdon was never good in my hot dry climate, very bare and not a great bloomer. Monsieur Tillier's blooms fried like crazy here although it's otherwise a lovely rose. Mme. Lambard might be a good substitute. I would also consider Mrs. Dudley Cross, no thorns and lovely white blooms with pink around the edges when it's warmer. Belinda's Dream is not a tea but has huge, fragrant pink flowers and is nice and bushy in our climate. It looks very good with tea roses. Good luck with your choices!

Ingrid

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Ingrid's right -- I don't think about recommending Mme. Lombard, because she mildews a bit, here at the coast.
    (Mrs. Dudley cross mildews A LOT.) But in AZ, that might well not be a problem, and Mme. Lombard, in particular, is a real workhorse.

Archduke Charles is just magnificent everywhere I've seen it. Inland, Coastal, it's all good. I love it.

And yeah, Mons. Tillier always fries in Santa Ana windstorms, so I'd probably avoid him in your situation.

Jeri

• iwalani_75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeri - I like your idea of planting White Maman. I will give that some thought. Thanks for your input about Mme Lombard, Archduke Charles, and Mons Tillier.

Jasmerplants - Its good to hear from a fellow Arizonan about your experience! I will give all your recommendations careful consideration.

Ingrid - I love how Mrs Dudley Cross looks, and I might have to find a place somewhere to try Belinda's Dream.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond to my post and sharing your wonderful advice! You gave me lots of food for thought.