Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidtrader

Snow Goose by David Austin

orchidtrader
11 years ago

I am wanting to plant a disease free ( Black spot is my problem ) white flowering climbing rose that will get about 8- 12' . I live in zone 7 in oklahoma and we have hot summers and this will be planted on the east side of the porch so it will get morning sun until about noon. I love the look of Austin roses but I am open to other sujestions. I would perfer that it does not turn pink in cool weather. Being that it will be planted in a foot traffic area I would prefer some not to thorny otherwise I probally would choose Sombreuil ( I have never seen this rose but from my research it is listed as very thorny.
I also have been considering Clair Austin or Climbing Iceburg but my mothers iceberg get blackspot.
Thank you
Darwin

Comments (10)

• orchidtrader
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you I have not heard of White Cap but I will do some research and look it up. Cloud 10 was on my list to but it say no fragrance but I may plant it anyway. Its been along ttime since I had grown roses except for the 2 that that exsist in my yrd with not care other than watering and once a yr pruning and that is the green rose and a austin named Pegasus.
    Darwin

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

My snow goose was still too thorny. I was expecting a no thorn plant. After a year and a half I gave it away. The snow goose on the archway over the sculpture of Shakespeare at the Huntington was bushy and had scattered flowers in early Dec. Maybe it needs time to get going.

• User
    11 years ago

well, although mine has only scattered thorns (and let's face it, most roses do) it is not really a tidy rose. Mine sprouts like cress all over a wooden fence, over an arch and lolls against the shed roof. Unlike many ramblers, it sprouts new canes from all over the place and does not much like to be tied in to a structure. Also, it has a lovely fragrance and a decent repeat but, it also has quite a strange habit of growth, more like a wild rose than a hybrid. It has long spikes of bloom, rather like a delphinium or verbascum - not all of which open together. From a distance, it is wonderfully lush and airy but close-up, it reveals a very informal growth pattern which might not be aposite for planting on an arch close to a door entry or house. I suspect there are other, better roses which will do well for you. Oh yes, I wouldn't say Snowgoose was a 'typical' Austin, either.

• orchidtrader
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the information. It is very helpful !!! I will probally not go with snow goose. I just want a nice well manered climbing white rose that is old fashioned and has some fragrance so I will do some more research on snow cap and the new cloud 10. Does anybody know how the throns are on the Snow cap ?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Would Austin's The Pilgrim work? It is a pale yellow/white blend, lovely blooms, good repeat, good disease-resistance. It is so pale that at times it looks nearly white, but the touch of pale yellow in the center of the bloom gives it a richness that a solid color of white often cant' do.

Just a thought.

Kate

• orchidtrader
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks I will look and see if it will work , I would not mind a peachy apricot blushed white and I do have Pegasus planted in the back yard and it would probally work but it does not produce alot of lot of flowers and here it is more of a creamy white instead of apricot peach color. I may also be pruning it wrong in the spring and taking to much wood off.

• hartwood
    11 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with 'White Cap'. It is my very best white climber, by a MILE. (Unless you want to count 'Alberic Barbier', but that will easily get to 20' and try to take over your house)

White Cap's flowers are creamy white and they are fragrant. Its foliage is dark bluish green, and it rarely has any blackspot on it. Mine is trained to a pillar, and I can keep it in bounds without a whole lot of effort.

Remember, a rose is a living plant (not a prop) and there are many times when no rose can possibly fill the garden spot that you have in your imagination. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut ... if it sounds good, buy it and try it ... if the negatives outweigh the advantages, choose something else. Your perfect plant for your porch may not be a rose.

(The link below takes you to one of my blog posts from a couple of years ago. The third photo down is 'White Cap'.)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garden in our Hearts

• orchidtrader
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the input and White Cap is beautidul and will work. Now I will have to look for a source.

• Rooftop Rose
    10 months ago

Thank you for the pictures The discussion was White Cap but the pucture of Mary Lovett was beautiful .

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm