Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Is this Reve d'Or?

rosefolly
13 years ago

On my recent trip I took pictures of a magnificent tea-noisette. It vaguely resembles the Reve d'Or I grow in my own garden, and I suspect it may be that. If it is, then I have something to aspire to. If it is something else, then I have a rose to track down and acquire. Unfortunately, identifying roses is not a particularly strong skill with me. Second opinions, please?

Two of these pictures repeat from the other thread, but I'm adding some closeups of leaves and stipules.

{{gwi:221681}}

{{gwi:221682}}

{{gwi:221683}}

Finally, the entire plant, as people frequently request.

{{gwi:221684}}

Rosefolly

Comments (13)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I'm no expert, but it does have a strong resemblance to my own (much less spectacular) specimen. I too have something to aspire to. The leaves, flowers and canes all seem to resemble Reve d'Or.

Ingrid

• buford
    13 years ago

The blooms don't resemble my Reve d'Or. They more resemble Crepescule. But I could be wrong.

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Mine has never been orange like that. I went out and looked at the leaves of both Rd'O and Crepuscule (no flowers to look at), and your leaves look more like my Crepuscule, but they also don't look exactly like them. And your flowers look larger than my Crepuscule's. No verdict here.

Sherry

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

My vote goes to Crepuscule.

Masha

• User
    13 years ago

afraid my vote goes for crepuscule too.

• mendocino_rose
    13 years ago

I think I agree with Crepescule. My Reve d'Or was never so colorful.

• cemeteryrose
    13 years ago

Paula, I saw a couple of magnificent Crepuscules on NZ's South Island at a restaurant - possibly in Te Anau? - wouldn't it be a coincidence if we photographed the same rose? I agree that's what it is, although what made me wonder at the time was it was bigger in every way than the specimens that I know at the cemetery and at my own house.

Crepuscule was bigger in England, too, especially at Mottisfont. I've wondered if it is because the plants are budded, not own root. Of course, it could be climate, or pruning, or the clone itself, or, or, or...
    Anita

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much to you all. Crepuscule it is. I never considered it because mine is six or seven years old and only about knee high. I think it is gopher-root-pruned. I've recently moved it and will cross my fingers that it does better in its new spot.

And I'm awfully glad it's not Reve d'Or, because if it were I would be heartily ashamed of myself.

Yes Anita, it is the same one in Te Anau outside a restaurant called (I think) The Moose. They actually have two or three of them, all gorgeous.

And down the road about three or four blocks in a planting of Old Port, which I first saw there and fell completely in love with five years ago. I came home to search for it here, and was happy to discover that Vintage carried it.

Rosefolly

• cemeteryrose
    13 years ago

I don't remember seeing Old Port - we were there the end of Feb, so perhaps it wasn't blooming. Since it's a Floribunda, there could have been blossoms.

I did consider that it was the brilliant, if ancient, gardeners who made Crepuscule look so good at Mattisfont. After all, everything else looked better there! However, unless those same gardeners have been caring for the Crepuscules in NZ, there's got to be some other reasons!

My Crepuscule at home is very vigorous but its flowers are fairly small. I got it at the Huntington some years back. I've wondered if pruning it to fewer canes would make the flowers bigger. The one in the cemetery has the same sized flowers, but the plant is half the size as mine, and has been in the ground several years longer.
    Anita

• jerijen
    13 years ago

The Crepuscule in the SJHRG is budded, and WOW does that make a difference!

Jeri

• oath5
    13 years ago

Crepuscule for sure, very distinct leaves, I recognize them lol.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

I'm excited! I have a new Crepuscule. If this had been Rev d'Or, I would have had to find a place for it. What a beautiful rose.