Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

Looking for a red rose red hybrid tea

Laurel Zito
14 years ago

I am thinking of getting another Peace, but a red rose would look good next to the Nelly Moser. I known red roses are famous for diseases and I live in San Francisco. I want a medium tall bush to blend with my yellow medium tall bush. I just want some name suggestions. I heard Black Magic does not do well in San Francisco.

The find me a rose site did not work for me. It said I had to give my email and then it still did not search for a red rose. I can not enter disease resistant red rose. I only got many photos of hot pink roses instead. It may be broken. It used to work a few years ago.

Comments (37)

• petaloid
    14 years ago

You may like Firefighter, a red hybrid tea that is disease-resistant, fragrant and blooms a lot. It is named in honor of the firefighters who lost their lives on 9/11/01.

I am not familiar with the unhelpful rose-finding site you mentioned. HelpMeFind.com is where I usually look for photos and information.

I'll put a link to their listing for Firefighter below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Firefighter

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I want to get Firefighter. It looks great, but another quick search on google does not come up with any sellers. Can you also suggest a seller? I like the idea of a 9/11 rose.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

The top of the page I linked has a "buy from" tab with some sellers. It also has a "description" tab with more information about the rose.

Firefighter is new enough that it shouldn't be too hard to find. I'd phone the local nurseries and home improvement centers to ask if they carry it.

I saw it selling at our Costco last week, in a double package with the pink Memorial Day, another nice one.

Here is a link that might be useful: some sources for Firefighter

• phatboyrose
    14 years ago

I would recommend Ingrid Bergman, it has been a great rose for me and the blooms last along time on the bush and in the vase.
    Harold

{{gwi:213338}}

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I went and bought Firefighter, at Regans nursery, in fremont, they have about five more left.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

Good for you! I've heard positive things about Regan's nursery.

I've pruned my roses back, and am looking forward to spring when my Firefighter and its friends will start cranking out those fragrant blooms!

(I want to compliment Harold on the lovely photo of Ingrid Bergman, which I agree is another great variety.)

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, that is a lovely photo posted just two messages above.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

Jont - that's a nice, enabling list.
    I am happy that in our part of the country we have few concerns with diplocarpon rosae (sp?) blackspot.
    On the other hand, I have to avoid roses that tend to get rust, which should not be a problem for you.

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Petaloid, I think the best red HT we ever grew here was 'Olympiad.'
    It never had a speck of rust or powdery mildew -- or any other disease.

It is said to have no fragrance (and that's probably why it don't mildew) but I could smell Olympiad.
    To my nose, it had a light, sweet, "juicy fruit" sort of scent.
    (That astonished Sam McGredy.)

Jeri

• kstrong
    14 years ago

Lasting Love is one of the only true reds that does not mildew in foggy coastal Orange County, and the scent is quite strong to boot. Dark shiny foliage too.

I always recommend that one when someone around here asks for a red.

Kathy

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    14 years ago

The best red Ht in our area is Uncle Joe!

• nullzero
    14 years ago

Kstrong,

I live in Orange County too. Is there a way I could obtain some cuttings of Lasting Love? I could trade some cuttings of various varieties of grapes & pomegranates. Or perhaps some jade cuttings or Camellia sinensis seeds (green tea plant)

• dennisb1
    14 years ago

Traviata - it's a Romantica medium red, very double, cup shaped. I let mine grow as big as they want about 12'h x6'w. It blooms most of the spring/summer/fall.
    I have 3 (2 were rooted from the mother plant), 2 in full sun, 1 in partial shade (it's much smaller but still healthy), so it seems tolerant to varying conditions.
    It's only fault is, although BS resistant, it will need to be sprayed for BS, but less so than average, definitely less than most HT's .

Helpmefind gives it a varying height of 2-5' which, in my experience, is utterly ridiculous. But maybe it just loves the climate and soil around here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Traviata

• kstrong
    14 years ago

Well, nullzero, we could do that. But frankly, I only bother to grow roses from cuttings that are not available commercially, and this one is easily available. It comes down to time -- this rose is not patented, but it will take 2 years to get a good cane and probably 3 to get a reasonable sized bush when one grows a hybrid tea from cuttings. And after all that, you really do not know if the rose can grow okay on its own roots until you try it, because these older hybrid teas were all bred to be put on Dr. Huey (i.e. the breeders did not select these roses for commercialization based on their ability to grow own root). Some do grow that way, but not that many.

I'm happy to give you cuttings, but my recommendation would be that you just go buy one, as it is on Weeks' current catalog list and there are quite a few nurseries in our area that probably have it. I know I have seen it at Rogers Gardens in years past, but based on cost, I would call either Green Thumb or Plant Depot first. The attached coupon expires today, but you never know, they might have it. They did have a good selection when I was last in there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Thumb Coupon for today only

• bouquet_kansas
    14 years ago

i recommend any of these 3 roses........Olympiad,Veteran,s Honor,Beloved.......ive grown all of these for several years now and they have performed great for me here in kansas....

• nullzero
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advice I think I will look into purchasing a red rose. I am new to roses so I did not know if they rooted easily or if it was worth the hassle.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Null Zero, I found this non commercial site helpful in explaining about different types of roses and diseases, also roses are rated by the gardener based on performance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose File Com

• rosessecretgarden
    14 years ago

try this site!......
    hope it can help!...

• mike_in_new_orleans
    14 years ago

I agree with much of what John listed--the one's I have anyway. Ingrid B. was frustrating for me--just ok. Vet's Honor is a terrific hybrid tea, true red lasting color, big florist blooms, and prolific and robust. Also some raspberry fragrance. Olympiad is as steller a performer and as healthy as any, but totally devoid of fragrance.
    I'll add one that does best for me in New Orleans during our cooler months, so I think it will like San Fransisco. That's Deep Secret. Terrific disease resistance, awesome fragrance and deep red color--nearly black occasionally depending on weather. The negatives are that it will take some time to mature and only grows to medium height; the blooms are also only about 3 inches in diameter and lovely in bud but not very defined form once more than half open. Still, it would be a great garden rose.

• pauline-vi-8
    14 years ago

Doesn't anybody else grow Loving Memory. I have many reds. This is my MOST beautiful with way more petals than it says on HMF - it is one of my most fullest roses. Fragrance, moderate. It says "light" HMF.
    Pauline - Vancouver Island

• jont1
    14 years ago

I have a Deep Secret coming this spring and am looking forward to seeing it. I love the photos I have seen and hope that mine is as lovely.
    John

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now, that I planted firefighter and it's too late to change my mind, I am having buyer's regret. I am not sure I will like the color of the rose enough. It's hard to see what the color is on the Internet. I don't know if I would like a dusty rose, as much as a clear red.

However, it is said to have good disease resistances and that is most important thing in San Francisco. I have planted roses, and had to dig them up and give them away because of the fungal diseases. Right now I have some rust and black spot, but it the summer I will have powdery mildew on my roses. I only have four roses. My garden is small or else I would love to add many more. The more roses you have the more you want. First you want one of each color, then you want a two color roses and different shades of each color. So, I have red, pink, orange and yellow now. I still want white, lavender and something like orange and yellow blended.

• rosessecretgarden
    14 years ago

That was wonderful!...I really loved red roses!...

• kstrong
    14 years ago

Another Green Thumb coupon, if you live in Orange County or Los Angeles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Thumb coupon

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    14 years ago

Does anyone grow Legends? I bought one this fall.....have seen a couple of blooms on it that were huge and deep clear red. I think I will like this one but havent grown it throughout a season. Any comments on it?
    Judith

• growing2010
    14 years ago

Well I don't grow it but my friend does, and she says that people stop and comment on it all the time. Makes me want to get it too, but I'm waiting for hers to blooms this year before I commit.

• kstrong
    14 years ago

I have it. It takes roughly forever to repeat, but the blooms, when you get them, are spectacular -- fluffy clear red roses. Easily 8" across. For that size, the blooms open very quickly -- so you never see anything other than a fully open rose. My two year old bush is still getting established though so things may change with a little maturity.

Kathy

• growing2010
    14 years ago

I am also wondering about Liebeszauber for a hot climate. Please share any experiences. Thanks

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, firefighter is looking good. It has not bloomed, but looks very healthy.

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

It is so frustrating looking at pictures of roses. The color is never true. Ingrid Bergman has been recommended to me..but in the picture it looks pinkish. I don't like Mr Lincoln because it turns that ugly purplish color when the blooms are older. Is there a deep red, clear red you can recommend?

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    14 years ago

I used to grow Olympiad - I remember it as a clear true red. And I just ordered Kardinal. I saw several in bloom on a rose tour and it was a standout. This was some years ago, I still remembered it and finally bought it yesterday.
    I plan to get my Legends in the ground this week - even if it is slow to bloom, I think those blooms will be worth it!
    Judith

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I looked at Kardinal on an image search and some of them look red, but some look pink and some look more orange. I think the camera, the culture, and the lighting conditions influence the photographs so it's hard to tell which is really true red. I used to have an American beauty growing up, I thought it was really red, but now I read it's on the pink side. It was not a hybrid tea, it was more like a big huge bush with red roses on it. It's probably good to go to rose shows and nursery to see them in person before selection a color that is the red that you want.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

Kardinal - local rose friends who have grown this one in warmer parts of Southern California experienced very small blooms. That's why I didn't recommend it, although it is a pretty, long-lasting red rose. In my cool coastal area the blooms are medium sized.

• dennisb1
    14 years ago

Last year was the first year I grew Kardinal, maybe things will change, but to my eyes it looks red. I'm pretty choosy, they can't be pinkish or orangish. if they are, then they're not red.

• ceterum
    14 years ago

Ace of Heart is a dark true red that does not turn blue, purple or black. It must be a cools season rose because it does not like my humid hot summers - it was beautiful in the spring and again in the fall but it shut down in summer. In north they use it for exhibition Wisroses always offers it and it's among Pickering's favorites.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was worried about the color, but it does not photography well. The photo looks more pink, but its a deep red. The fragrance fills the whole garden. It has not gotten any fungal problem, although near by John Keats came down with the black spot. It looks a lot like the flower of Black Magic, but Black Magic is reported to get a lot of fungal problems. I live in San Francisco, and it can be very damp in the summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: My firefighter rose