Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprilscott12

gonna shovel prune my first rose....*sniff*

aprilscott12
15 years ago

Yep, it's true.... I have a MONSTER climbing rose that I THOUGHT was climbing American beauty til I just looked on HMF. Not that one since the blooms are a lighter pink. I've had it several years and although it's gotten HUGE it has only ever produced a few puny blooms and has horrible blackspot. All it seems to be is a bunch of canes with a few blooms here and there so it must go...I thought about replacing it with Eden. Funny, I have Eden is 2 different spots and although they are both healthy one has really taken off while the other just seems to sit and languish. So goes life with roses I suppose.

April

Comments (13)

• jerijen
    15 years ago

I thought about replacing it with Eden. Funny, I have Eden is 2 different spots and although they are both healthy one has really taken off while the other just seems to sit and languish.

*** I'm curious.
    If you already HAVE Eden in two different locations, why plant another?
    There are many good Modern Climbers, and some nifty older ones to choose from.

Jeri

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    15 years ago

You may have Cl. Queen Elizabeth. I have a friend who had one with the same habits and was unhappy with it. I asked about it on this forum and if rotten tomatoes were ever thrown at a rose, this was the one. Sounds like Cl. QE to me......SP it gladly and put a better rose in its place - good opportunity to go buy another rose!
    Judith

• mauirose
    15 years ago

Well good for you girl!

Have you checked out the climber Parade? i don't grow it and have only seen it here but WOW, it's a beauty!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Caution, serious enabling ahead

• aprilscott12
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeri...I'm actually MOVING one of the Edens to that spot. I had it at an arbor that I plowed into with the lawn mower and rendered it useless. Another story ALL together! :-) I would DEFINITELY buy another one if that weren't the case! I also have a sombreuil which isn't doing good at all...any one have any comments on it?? I just got it last year as well.

Judith...coud be Queen E....in fact it looks an awfully lot like the one of hmf....so if that's the case I won't cry too much!

Mauirose... ahhhh....I REMEMBER that post. Now I might just have to buy another arbor for that Eden AND buy another rose! That is certainly a beauty!!

April

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    15 years ago

....*sniff*??????
    Don't cry! Think of it as a chance to celebrate a new rose.

• User
    15 years ago

If it is 'Climbing Queen Elizabeth' then dig it out fast as you can and don't look back. It should be illegal to sell such a dreadful rose: all growth and no blooms, that one.

Have you considered one of the better Barbier Ramblers? Once established, 'Alberic Barbier' repeats reasonably well and is one of the best climbers ever bred, IMO. A truly glorious rose.

• jerijen
    15 years ago

also have a sombreuil which isn't doing good at all...any one have any
    comments on it?? I just got it last year as well.

*** You can't judge a climber on its performance in one year.
    Climbers require even longer to mature than bush roses do, and those should
    be given at least 3 years.

Remember:
    "First they sleep. Then they creep. Then, they LEAP."

With Climbers (yes, including Sombreuil -- which I have grown for decades)
    you should consider its performance after 2-3 more years.
    At present, your climbers are just beginning to put out significant
    roots, so that they can grow significant canes, so that they can bloom in quantity.

Remove the possible QueenE (I agree with Paul on that completely).
    Then, I would look for something else for that spot.

We love the Tea-Noisettes with a climbing habit.
    And Weeks has put out some nifty climbers.
    I wouldn't be without Fourth of July, or Berries and Cream.
    I personally badly crave 'Noëlla Nabonnand.' I also want 'White Maman Cochet.'

But really, DON'T give up on a climber until it's had 3 years minimum.
    4 is better. (Unless, of course, the bloom just makes you ill at first glance.)
    Then you should just shovel prune it, and not have to look at it again.
    :-)

Jeri

• aprilscott12
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, at least I'm feeling MUCH less grief about the shovel pruning. Especially if it IS Queen E which by the descriptions...I'm thinking it must be. TONS of growth and hardly ANY blooms. I've heard that climbers take a while to show their true potential so i'm gonna be patient with all the rest. But THIS one...it's had 4 or 5 years and I can't take it anymore! Thanks for all the comments.
    April

• jerijen
    15 years ago

April, if ya' hates it, ya' hates it.

We had 'City of San Francisco' here for one year.
    It had a great habit, disease-free foliage, and bloomed constantly.
    But the color was a glaring red, which simply did not fit in here.
    At pruning time, DH said right off: "Can I dig THAT up?"

Probably would have been a fine rose for someone else -- but it sure couldn't live here.

Jeri

• aprilscott12
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's funny. I'm giving my mom 3 scarlett carpet roses for that VERY reason. It's a great rose but it just doesn't fit in with my other colors. I guess that's just part of the gardening fun!
    April

• buford
    15 years ago

I have QE Climber and bought it on purpose! Before I knew better. But I've kept it. It took a few years to get going and it's a once bloomer, but the spring flush is to die for. Unfortunately the last 2 springs it's been zapped by late spring frosts and I've gotten nothing....It also does put out tremendous cane growth all year and is a pain to keep in line. I'm giving it one more year.

• kublakan
    15 years ago

April,

I empathize with you. Of the original rose bed I first planted in my house only one (and a climber at that!) has survived. The rest have been systematically replaced with better suited rose varieties for the spots they sat in.

If I may add my two cents in, the sport of America Cl. is Pearly Gates, which is a lighter colored version of America. It has the same form, growth pattern, and bloom shape as America with its color being the main difference. I grow both and am at times in love with the plant and in others hate it.

For a replacement rose I would suggest Don Juan. It is the sole survivor of my original rose beds and rarely gives much grief.

Good luck either way!

Adrian.

• buffington22
    15 years ago

I have CL. American Beauty and it is a showstopper in the spring. Last year was the first fall that I ever noticed any rebloom at all, sparse though it was. The dark cerise blooms smell divine. She wants to be huge. I think she came from ARE 5 or so yrs. ago.