Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
damask55linen

Crested Damask

damask55linen
10 years ago

Has Anyone tried Crested Damask ?
There are so many gorgeous roses I'm not sure why I want this raspberry colored one- maybe because I can't have it, sold out.

Comments (15)

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Forestfarm has it. (hehehheh ;)

I got it this year so it's a bit young to comment on. Only blooms once but the flowers are very pretty & fragrant. Though my plant is a baby in a 2 gallon pot it formed a nice handful of blooms & I let a couple mature.

And, oh, those sepals--extraordinary!

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

bluegirl you gonna make me get it! lol :)

• damask55linen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad you were able to get your baby Crested Damask, Bluegirl. Extraordinary is the word, the sepals are loaded with personality.
    I'm wondering if pick-up nursery stock is broader than roses on their website; Forrestfarm didn't presently have Crested Damask on the availability list, and I can't run over from Idaho to check their back yard.
    BUT-
    I did notice they carry Old Pink Moss.
    The pictures on HMF are wonderful, and it scored many excellent ratings. Zone 6 is what they stated on the main description page, but someone in Minnesota said good old Pink braved a zone 3 winter!
    Just what I needed, another captivating rose to add to my climbing wish list ...gotta prune somehow.
    Oh almost forgot,( I had my head in rose clouds) counting my pennies into rolls should take care of narrowing my selections for this year WAY down.
    Thanks for your rose report.
    Linda

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Forestfarm's shipping is high for me, but their plants are very reasonable. And VERY well rooted. Their tubes are so densely rooted they are virtually pot bound--same with their gallons. The top growth may be modest but those plants are ready to go.

I've drooled over Old Pink Moss the last couple of years. I got a nice "Sally's compact Cecile Brunner" & Mutabilis in gallons last year & swapped for the stagecoach rose. Long time ago they had R. glutinosa, which I lost & am pining (haha) for again. Wonderful pine scented leaves.

• cath41
    10 years ago

We planted Crested Moss, Chapeau de Napolean, Rosa cristata, call it what you will, in the public garden about 1980. It is gone now but lasted a long time. As I remember it, it was a gawky bush but Oh those blossoms and buds. In spite of its short comings as a shrub, it was still one of my favorites. If you have plenty of room, because it is a once bloomer too, it is worth growing.

(It is called Chapeau de Napoleon because the crested bud is thought to look like a tricorne hat.)

Cath

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    10 years ago

We're talking about 'Crested Damask', bred by Paul Barden right? I'm hoping Rogue Valley Roses is able to offer it soon, because I'd love to try it. They say on their website that it's difficult to propagate.

Crested Moss also looks like a beautiful rose.

• damask55linen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bluegirl, I have a question; isn't R.Glutinosa the clinical term for my rose gluttony that causes wild interest at the mention of an unfamiliar new rose?
    Cath, thanks for reminding me, Crested Moss is one rose I will most likely surrender to buy at any price if I ever see it in person. Pink petals with a silvery reverse on a mossy stem sounds sublime .
    In answer to Chris;
    Yup, Crested Damask, Paul Barden, sold out, continually.

Linda

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Acckk! I was thinking Crested MOSS, Chapeau de Napoleon, sorry for the mix up. That's the one I got from FF ( & they are listing it in the large $20 size).

The buds are just astonishing. I found myself going outside a couple of times a day to watch them progress from weird vegetative balls to gradually splitting open to show the bright pink flowers. Took some pics but haven't posted yet.

R. glutinosa=rose gluttony disease? harhar! Mmm, very contagious, virally spread over the internet, for sure!

• User
    10 years ago

Make no mistake, 'Crested Damask' and 'Crested Moss' (aka 'Chapeau de Napoleon') are different cultivars - related, but distinct. I have not found 'Crested Damask' particularly difficult to propagate. Both roses are somewhat horizontal growers and rather "floppy" (or "lax" you might say) and that is simply the nature of Centifolia types sometimes. Training onto a low fence is a great way to handle such roses, IMO.

{{gwi:226430}}

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

That is very beautiful, Paul. The fat bud off to the left looks a bit like "Audrey II" from Little shop of Horrors. I expect it to smirk & start singing in a raunchy deep voice.

• cath41
    10 years ago

Oops. I apologise for my error.

Cath

• damask55linen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sometimes mistakes lead to a golden path, I'm grateful the discussion took a turn.
    Kinda funny I started out researching Crested Damask, and now with the help of everybody I am completely enamored with Crested Moss. It is going on my order from Northland Rosarium when it opens in March.
    But if a bud sings like Audrey it gets the shovel!

• joshtx
    10 years ago

Paul,

How is it you propagate Crested Damask? I wonder if a difference in method accounts for Rogue Valley Rose's difficulty.

Josh

• zaphod42
    10 years ago

I planted Crested Damask last spring. I'm concerned for its well-being. Of all the bands I planted last spring it was slow to get going and didn't put on very much growth at all. Its got great snowcover in its location and will hopefully survive the polar vortexes to come our way this year.

I had to go on Rogue Valley's waiting list, but had it by spring no problem.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    9 years ago

For those who are interested, this rose is once again available from Rogue Valley Roses. I just ordered one :)

To those who grow this, how big will it get? RVR says 2-3', but Paul Barden says 6' x 5'. I'm guessing he's the more reliable source, but I'm curious what you guys have found.
    -Chris