Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donaldb_gw

It was tagged Angraecum Bosseria

donaldb
13 years ago

Greetings. Was wondering if anyone out there might be able to verify the identity of this orchid. I've had it for about 7 years and haven't been able to get it to flower. This one is the only one in my collection of orchids that has been reluctant when it comes to flowering. It's planted in sphag, gets watered when it dries out.

{{gwi:205891}}

Comments (9)

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

Angraecum bosseri

Formerly named Agcm sesquipedale var. angustifolium. Only collection note says its a terrestrial, 1900-2100m, which makes it cool-intermediate growing.

I've had one for several years, gotten as a seedling and not nearly as big as your plant, and am still waiting for a bloom. Supposedly, it is a spring bloomer.

Maybe someone else has some bloom suggestions. Your plant is certainly mature -- and mine is probably also by now.

• highjack
    13 years ago

It looks like Epi. stamfordiannum. Try growing it in catt light to see if you get blooms. The blooms will resemble Brassavola cordata blooms.

Brooke

• smwboxer
    13 years ago

Looks like Epidendrum parkinsonianum. Give it a lot of light and it should bloom for you in no time. I'd scratch any kind of Angraecum off the list.

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

You guys are right. I just started out to correct the spelling, mostly. Difficult to tell the plant's form in the photo. Definitely not an Epi stamfordianum which has much more robust upright bulbs. Could be an Epi parkinsonianum or falcatum.

Where did you get it from, Donald? That may give a clue as to what it is.

• highjack
    13 years ago

Sorry I meant to say parkinsonianum. I have it but still want the stamfordianum :>) and I don't do well typing and answering questions from the hubby.

Here is the whole plant

{{gwi:137484}}

The bloom

{{gwi:205892}}

Brooke

• donaldb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was purchased from a very reputable estate here in Massachusetts. Thank you everybody for your help. I started searching around on the web and all the pics I have seen verify what I have. It's in sphag and spends the winter in a sunroom in a south facing window, allowed to dry out, then watered and slightly fertilized with 20-20-20. Summers it is kept outdoors in dappled sunlight. I have great luck getting all my collection to bloom except for this Epidendrum parkinsonianum.

• highjack
    13 years ago

Increase the sun during the summer and it will bloom for you. Your foliage is very "open" or flat - given enough light the leaves will roll toward the center and become more terete looking.

When it blooms, you will love it.

Brooke

• donaldb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess the pic I submitted doesn't really show it but the leaves are curled inward and tapered towards the center. I think I'll also give it more sun this winter. Thank you.

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

I have the three mentioned. Definitly not Stanfordianum but could be either Falcatum or Parkinsonium. Moved to Coilostylis, Jay Phal describes a difference in the leaves but I have both and I could not tell which is which without the flowers. Unless the tag gives you a hint, you'll have to wait for the flowers to ID it.

Parkinsonium is more showy with larger and more impressive flowers.

Nick

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional