Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growitnow

What size transplant pot?? (Platycodon/ balloon flower)

growitnow
18 years ago

Hello,

I have asked a bunch of recent questions here because I am setting up to germinate and grow Platycodon 'Sentimental Blue' from seed inside.

After germination (I am using the BioDome and sponges), I will place the seedlings under flourescent lights (4x40-W), still within the germination tray with sponges for 2 or so weeks. I will then transplant to seedling containers with Miracle Grow potting mix, and maintain in those pots for about 2 months until ready to bring outside.

How big should my seedling pots be? I have found some small square plastic pots, not yet purchased, with sizes as follows: (a) 3.5' x 3.5' (b) 3.5' x 5', (c) 4' x 5', and (d) 4' x 6'

I wish to leave the seedlings in their transplant pots until they go outside, but do not know about the root growth of this plant (several here and sources say the roots are very sensitive, with long tap root). If I use the deeper pots as above, can I still bottom water with these? Or would I need even larger seedling pots than those indicated?

After intial transplant to seeling pots, the seedlings will remain inside for at least 2 months under the lights. I plan on 1-2 plant per pot.

Thanks,

growitnow

zone7, Virgnia

Comments (8)

• marilenav1
    18 years ago

Platycodon is not very fast growing in it's first year. I think the 3.5" x 3.5" is more than adequate for 2 months. They are not sensitive to transplanting.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

They are not difficult to transplant from container to ground...established plants may resent transplanting due to the long tap-like roots.

ALL of my perennials go into what is called a 4x5...the actual measurement of the pot is 3 1/2" wide x 5" deep...to allow for best root development. I'll even sow perennial seeds in this depth pot, and often find hellebore seedlings for example have extended roots to the pot bottom in just a very few weeks and before being transplanted to individual pots.

• fredw10
    18 years ago

I didn't realize Platycodon was Baloon Flower until I looked it up on the web. What I read suggested planting in the fall, transplanting in 3.5in pots then planting out doors. Also read about not really blooming well until second or third year. Apparently it disappears in the winter so you need to remember exactly where it was planted to avoid damaging it in spring cleanup. Just put Platycodon in google and you will learn all about it.

• roxy77
    18 years ago

I just repotted mine this weekend, they had been in their original peat pots since mid Jan. (when I sowed them) and are now only about an inch and a half tall, maybe two with one set of true leaves. The roots are about as long as the plants, maybe a wee bit longer. I actually transplanted several into one 4 inch pot just for lack of pots.

They seem to have survived the transplant well and seem to be slow growers. I plan on keeping them in the GH till they gain a bit more size.

Not sure if that helps, but good luck.

Does anyone know when I will start seeing a bit more growth/size?

• michelelee
    18 years ago

roxy, when did they germinate? That seems to be pretty slow. Have you given them fertilizer?

• roxy77
    18 years ago

Michelelee, it took a while for them to germinate. I want to say I sowed them around Jan10-15 and they popped up the first week in Feb, I thought they weren't going to germinate at all. I've fertilized all my seedlings with a miracle grow at about half strength.

I am noticing some growth but in small increments so I don't think they've damped off or anything. I said they were an inch and a half but after checking them out last night they are probably closer to 2.5 inches. Still with only one set of true leaves. Did I screw up somewhere?

Oh I hope not, these are the plants I've been wanting for so long. In fact I sowed two packets of seeds just to make sure I got some. The second pack is just now popping up so if I've ruined the first ones I can hopefully save the second ones.

• growitnow
    Original Author
    18 years ago

morz8,

You indicate your transplant pots are 5" deep. How do you water seedlings? Just curious because of the consistent indication to bottom water with seedlings - is 5" too deep to do so? Perhaps you top water and that works for you..

Anyone care to offer suggestions for how deep a transplant pot might be "too deep", to bottom water?

Thanks,

growitnow

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

growitnow, I do top water my pots with the 'rainfall' type rose on my watering can; over a sink with the pots in the mesh-type trays to drain a few minutes before being returned to their shelves. Bottom watering would be much too time consuming for me. I do make sure I have good air circulation, and don't find it to be a problem.