Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yankee_in_va

Prune ligustrum to make it grow?

yankee_in_va
13 years ago

Hi all. I have several ligustrum in my backyard forming a border against a fence. I am not happy with their growth over the last several years. Does pruning them help to produce growth? I'm interested in them getting taller.

More established ones in my front yard grow much quicker but I'm not sure if that's due to me having to prune them regularly or just because they are older and more established. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

i would look to the sun ... as a factor in vigor.. is that significantly different front and back ...

then i would look to root competition ... as to the reduced vigor ... are some near or under problem trees????

and then i would look to age .. as you cant compare babes with plants that have been established for decades ...

and then i might look to lawn fertilizer .. and if that has an impact ... if some are in or near the lawn ... as compared to the others ....

what i want to know.. is what is different between the plants ... that would significantly affect plant vigor and growth rate ...

before i would ever suggest that the problem MIGHT be solved by removing any part of the green leaves.. which are basically.. the food making capability of the plant ... and in fact might be counter-intuitive ...

what that all means... my fingers are being a bit verbose this afternoon .... is MORE FACTS PLEASE

how about giving us more info.. so we can make suggestions other than your specific question ...

my gut suspects shade or sun variations... how close am i !!!!

good luck

ken

• yankee_in_va
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I think age is the primary difference here. Soil is also more clay in the back since they are not in amended beds like in front. Shouldn't these things be established and taking off after several years though?

Not sure where I heard about pruning inducing growth...maybe I dreamed it...

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Sprouting in response to pruning produces impression of increase in growth rate, especially when a vigorous specimen is pruned hard, due to long, seldom-branching shoots being made in attempt to quickly replace lost top area. But the total overall volume of top size increase is less than if plant was left alone, all other factors remaining the same.

13 years ago

you still didnt address the light differences ...

what you have.. is 2 independent micro climates.. including soil ....

in suburbia ... in never really understood the issue ...

on 5 acres now ... 500 x 500 feet square ... i could plant the same plant.. in 4 corners.. one sun .. one morn sun.. one afternoon sun .. and one all shade ...

and all 4 will react and grow differently ...

so it doesnt surprise me.. nor concern me.. that you two plantings are growing differently ....

the ONLY PROBLEM ... when it all boils down .. is YOUR EXPECTATION ... if you had planted anything else in back.. you would be happy it is alive ... but now it is bugging you.. because they arent twins of the others ..

my vote.. ignore them.. they are alive.. they sound rather happy ... so let them do whatever they can/want in the spots they are in

have a great day

ken

• yankee_in_va
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. There is some sun difference as one as one receives morning sun and one afternoon. It's not exactly bugging me because they aren't twins of the others. I just have similar specimens that are doing better so I think it's reasonable to try to find out why and try to see what, if anything, can be done to help them along. I'm learning that there is likely nothing I should do. Thanks.

13 years ago

I think it's reasonable to try to find out why and try to see what, if anything, can be done

===>>> absolutely .. though from my side of the computer .. its hard to intuit what the root issue is [thats a pun...lol].. and if it is simply to seek knowledge.. you go for it ....

but too many peeps here like to make this kind of thing a 'problem'.. and all i am trying to say.. is it most likely is NOT a problem ... they are just doing their own thing.. in the spots given ....

morning sun.. is usually associated with damp ground.. and coolness ...

afternoon sun.. in the heat of the day.. can lead to increased transpiration.. or sweating of the leaves .. and if there is a lack of water in the root zone at the time.. reduced vigor ... and that.. in and of itself.. can explain the growth rate differences ... since you wanted to learn ...

either increase mulch on the afternoon sun ones.. or give them an extra drink every now and then.. especially in july/august.. or what i call the heat of the summer ... and in any drought ...

good luck

ken

• yankee_in_va
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good info, thanks Ken and all.