Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khabbab

Unable to germinate Hardenbergia

khabbab
12 years ago

Hi.

I am unable to germinate seeds of hardenbergia violac. I tried boiling water, scarification, soaking in water(seeds did swell) but none worked. I have a temperature of around 20-25 these days, late spring early summer. any tips? Should i try zip lock baggie method after seeds swell up?

Khabbab

www.lahoregardening.com

Comments (4)

• yiorges-z5il
    12 years ago

USE THE SEED AFTER SOAKING IN WATER FOR 8 HOURS (SEED SHOULD SWELL) THEN LIGHTLY COVER THE SEED .. SOIL TEMP (NOT AIR TEMP) SHOULD BE 18-20C) MAY TAKE 5 TO 21 DAYS TO GERMINATE...

• khabbab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After i have failed all the tries for germination, i complained to the Chiltern seeds UK the sellers. This as their reply:

We think that they could take many months to germinate and they will also very probably benefit from stratification/exposure to cold.

Now should i try cold stratification? Because if seeds are good and seeds do swell after scarification and i tried all possible mixes for germination but no result.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Scarification and stratification both are ways to break dormancy of seed. A hard seed coat will often require scarification to allow moisture through the coat to the seed. In most cases this allows the seed to swell. Many seeds from temperate regions will have biochemical control of embryo development that needs to be overcome by chilling. A seed may require one or the other, but usually not both. If the seed supplier suggests stratification with no suggested time, I would probably try up to 30 days. Al

• khabbab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A seedling did come up but seems more like hyacinth bean vine than hardebergia, can someone confirm if it is hardebergia?