Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perennialfan273

Looking to trade for snowball bush (viburnum opulus) in spring..

perennialfan273
12 years ago

Does anyone grow this shrub?? Also known as viburnum opulus "roseum". I'd very much like to try this in my yard this year.

Here's a pic of the shrub:

http://www.fknursery.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=2237

Comments (17)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

Very very easy to root from cuttings and fast-growing. If you find someone nearby who has one, see if you can take a cutting or a 'baby' from a large plant (they sucker). I find it a bit of a weedy shrub, but I grow it because it has superb fall color - shades ranging from orange to coral to pinky tones. Spring new growth and flowers not too bad, either! Here are some shots of fall color:
    {{gwi:244625}}
    {{gwi:244626}}
    {{gwi:244627}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

or offer to reimburse FFol for sending you a piece in a free box from the post office ...*** ... around mid april ... pot it.. and hold it until fall to plant ... since it will be all out of whack due to the zones ...

lol

*was this evil???

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

Probably anything coming from California would be out of whack no matter what! I'm going to count on perennialfan being able to source it closer to home, but if not, the challenge is on!

• perennialfan273
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hoping to find this a little closer to home. If I can't, I'll certainly consider trading.

12 years ago

well.. i did i feel guilty.. lol ...

the best lesson i ever learned.. was just because you got it.. bought it.. that does NOT mean its planting time..

since its probably already leafed out in z9 .. and it near still frozen ground in z5 ...

get it in late april ... pot it.. throw it in the garage for a few weeks until frost fear is gone.. and then put it in full shade on the north side of a structure... bright but no sun..

and plan on planting at the proper planting time in late sept or so ...

anyway .. just a lesson for others.. i realize both of you know all this ...

in this manner.. you baby it.. until it hardens off to the new zone ....

and i wouldnt be surprised.. that there werent 3 in the pot by fall ...

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

It actually hasn't leafed out here yet but it is threatening! We barely had winter this year but our last (average) frost date is April 15. Always hard to deal with 'frost' when we virtually never have any, but it could theoretically come as late as 4/15 in this county. And then, of course, there was the year that we had no freeze at all....until 4/23! That was the year that my Bougainvillea froze 1/2 way to the ground, but it came back.

Perennialfan - V. opulus roseum may well be readily available where you are and not expensive. Even the big boxes sell it here. You can absolutely buy this in a #1 - it is a fast grower. As Ken says, you may have three if you get it now and hold it until fall!

And Ken...shhhhh...don't tell anyone....but we plant in spring here. I moved here 32 years ago from the Northeast and had to learn an entirely different gardening tempo. We prune our roses between Xmas and Valentine's Day, for example! Our fruit trees are at the end of their bloom right now. We have Indian summer in Sept and Oct and the ground is rock-hard from no summer rain, so we can't plant until mid-Nov in the fall at the earliest. Our prime planting time is winter, Nov-Mar, when we just have to avoid soggy soil. Weird, isn't it? The killer is that the nurseries have most stock in spring and summer, so I have a holding area in the shade that has overhead water and that's where I stash anything that I buy after March. The good news is that it is in Oct that they all have their sales, so that's when we can usually get the bargains.

• perennialfan273
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Formandfoliage and Ken-Thank you both for your advice. Unfortunately, none of the local nurseries near me sell this plant. People just don't seem to have an appreciation for the older "tried and true" cultivars here. It is quite sad.

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

If I recall, the local big box (the blue and gray one) didn't get their viburnum stock in until late spring/early summer last year. Full price was around $7-8 for a 1 gallon. I picked up a clearance 1 gallon for $3. It had very nice orangey pink fall color in full shade. Planted it after it went dormant last fall and now the buds are about to pop :) The wife will be SHOCKED in a couple of years when the big flowers show up.

John

12 years ago

it would be a great plant to buy at bigboxstore .. you can barely kill them... presuming they are properly labeled ...

FF ... i think i recall pf is z6 ... but if you sent me something leafed out from z9 ... with my last frost date near 6/1 ... i would not plant it until 6/1 ... and by then .. it would violate my theorem of planting everything 6 to 8 weeks before the heat of summer ... it might not have enough time to get the roots pumping to withstand that first week in the 90's ... which is usually late june .. and all of july and august ... [even though you are z9.. you might not think about my summer heat] .. you cant just stick a root cutting out there.. an hope it has the root system to survive all summer ....

that said.. as i noted ... a viburnam.. heck.. run it over with the car twice before you plant it.. it wont care ... lol ...

but if you do mail it in leafed out from a warm zone .. those leaves will need a lot of hardening off.. before they get hit with frost or freeze ... unless you want them red in spring.. lol ...

anyway.. we have gone a long way from a request to trade.. with some evil throw in .. lol ...

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

I think that I DID run the car over the V. opulus - great way to divide the plant! One of mine was a pup off an established shrub that had gotten in the way of a hose bibb and I had someone dig it out and he didn't know what to do with it so he left it sitting off the driveway (on soil) and about six months later when I got around to moving it to the compost pile, it had rooted in!
    You're dead right about zonal imbalances (like hormonal imbalances?) and no one should be shipping plants around once it warms up. I just explained our planting timing by way of illustration because it is so different than the majority of the country, and even zone 9 doesn't really explain what it's like here because we have so much ocean influence. We run in the high 70's/low 80's in summer with ocean breeze so your'e right, we don't have temps in the 90s unless it is a heat wave. So the best way to describe our weather is 'mild', which really doesn't describe any of the weather in z5,6,7,etc. We'll hope that PF finds the V. o. r. and yes, John, your wife will just love those flowers. They are pretty gorgeous when they first come out and they are that lovely shade of lime green. All this rapture about such a weedy shrub, but isn't it nice that we can find love in all the wrong places?

• perennialfan273
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So, should I attempt to trade with someone here?? Where do we go from here?? Like I said before I've looked and can't find a single nursery near me that sells this plant. I'm sorry, but I really just want a straight (just a little confused) answer about what I have to do. Anyways, if it's possible to work out a trade send me an e-mail at someguy00273952@yahoo.com

12 years ago

So, should I attempt to trade with someone here??

===>>>>

.... wasnt that the whole point of the title????

otherwise.. check out the link ... mohawk has a fragrance to die for ...

the first says it turns purple/red in fall ... in fact.. dont they all to some extent ... why are fixated on the specific one you note???? other than color, i mean ...

anyway.. good luck on your quest ... [BTW ... there is a variegated one ... that stinks to high heaven ... but i dont think that one turns red... i could post pix if you missed them other times ...]

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

Perennialfan - Ken is absolutely correct - my Viburnums have broken dormancy and are starting to leaf out so I cannot dig one up and ship one. If you haven't located one by Sept/Oct, let me know (formandfoliage@gmail.com) and I'll see what I can do. You can also check Almost Eden Nursery, which a quick Google search shows has it for sale. Not sure what their temps are and if they can still ship. It's a 4" but this shrub is fast-growing and will be decent-sized in no time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Almost Eden Nursery

• artdeco
    12 years ago

Hi Perennialfan -
    I'm curious where in Zone 5 are you?
    In the Chicago area 2 of the 3 DIY big boxes sell this plant every year. I almost purchased a small Roseum last fall on clearance to squeeze in near my Vib Trilobums for extra pollination, but found some last minute self-control & put it back. I also noticed some very abused $2 not-named Vib opulus plants showing amazing fall color in their root-bound pots.
    Another reason I hesitated to purchase is I've read opulus can be invasive in some areas - seeds sprout easily & they sucker alot - and I live down the street from a native area, so not worth the risk.
    But if you're ever in the Chicago area, driving past a Menards & got a few $ in your pocket...

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

Ken - 'Roseum' is sterile, that's one of its charms. It does sucker, but so do my plicatum tomentosums, etc., although not as much. Not sure if there are other sterile opulus varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage

• artdeco
    12 years ago

'Roseum' is sterile? That's interesting!
    Yesterday I saw same small $8.00 shrubs at Menards & looking very healthy. I think I'm going back...!

• flowerchild81
    12 years ago

If interested I have this in my zone 5 garden. I have divided it at all times of year.If interested we could probably work out a trade or maybe you are local and could get a division. If not I hope you find it, I enjoy mine.