Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Pink Peace or Perfume Delight or ??

I started to get Pink Peace, then remembered Perfume Delight. Which one has the stronger fragrance, has the biggest bloom, and blooms more? Or is there another rose in this color that is better? Thanks....

Judith

Comments (33)

• down_and_dirty
    16 years ago

There may be better roses out there (I'll let someone else chime in on that), but I would take Pink Peace over Perfume Delight any day of the year.

• chefcdp
    16 years ago

If you consider everything, Pink Peace is hard to beat. You might find a rose that smells better-maybe, or you might find one with bigger flowers, or one with more exhibition blooms, or one with some better single feature. However, it is tough to find a rose that is as good in so many areas as PP. She is an oldie but goody.

Pink Peace is an all around work horse for your HT garden.

Regards,

Charles

• moodyblue
    16 years ago

Sorry, I do not know Perfume Delight, but I would NEVER be without Pink Peace. I have three because I like it so much and the fragrance is intense.

PINK PEACE
    {{gwi:230209}}

{{gwi:230210}}

{{gwi:230211}}

Pauline - Vancouver Island

• lindawisconsin
    16 years ago

I do love Perfume Delight and in 30 years growing roses, I always have one in the garden. I love the scent. However it is a reluctant grower in zone 5 and a stingy bloomer.
    Pink Peace is a good grower, and a a good recurrent bloomer. I think it has no scent at all.

• seil zone 6b MI
    16 years ago

I loved my Pink Peace. It didn't make through last spring's late freeze though.

• User
    16 years ago

Pink peace as you see is a great beauty but not very fragrant at all.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Pink Peace and 'no fragrance'? You must have another rose. Pink Peace has very strong mostly damask fragrance and if you cut it in bud stage it lasts long as a cut flower.

I had Perfume Delight that was also very fragrant with a lot fewer petals but the blooms didn't last for more than a day or two, had extremely blackspot prone foliage and then it turned out to be virused.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

No fragrance to Pink Peace? No, no, not the same rose then. Mine is one of the most fragrant in my garden. Pauline's photos are spot on. Mine gets to 7' tall by the end of the season. Needs spraying, but worth it.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Am so glad to hear it is fragrant! Beautiful rose, I have a perfect spot for it. I am going to Robertsons Rose Nursery near Houston this weekend, that has the biggest potted roses I have ever seen.....he has it, I am getting it! Not to mention a bunch more.....I love this rose, wonder why I havent grown it before? Pauline, your photos are just beautiful!
    Judith

• coltensdad
    16 years ago

I bought 2 J/P Perfume Delights a year ago for $1 each when a big store here had some on closeout.

turns out they are one of my favs.

intense fragrance and extreme pink color.

drawbacks that i see are that the blooms don't last long and mine has some blackspot.

• phylrae
    16 years ago

Love Pink Peace here too....
    Hey guys, I think Labrea was just kidding about the fragrance (it is one of the best smelling ones we have)...chime in here, Labrea, if you weren't!
    BTW, beautiful pictures, guys!
    :0) Phyl

Original Author
    16 years ago

The climber photos are gorgeous - thanks!! I have a great spot for that one.......havent seen it in any of the nurseries I go to but will keep my eye out. 3 more days til I get to go to Robertsons in Houston, and it is definitely on my list!
    Judith

• diggerdave
    16 years ago

I have considered Perfume Delight our best pink rose for about a dozen years. Electron would get the title if it was as fragrant as PD. Pink Peace is fragrant here too. PP needs to be transplanted to where it would get more sun to compete with those 2. If Tournament of Roses was fragrant it would be in the running too.

• Molineux
    16 years ago

Another deep pink rose with great fragrance is THE MCCARTNEY ROSE. Absolutely HUGE but practically indestructible bush lushly clothed in leathery, disease resisistant foliage. Constant repeat alllllll summer long. Classic high centered bud. Flowers sit on top of very long, strong stems. Okay as a vase flower as long as you cut it while in tight bud. Best of all, it is one of the most black spot resistant Hybrid Teas that I've ever grown. I have it in my mother's zone 7b no spray rose garden.

BTW, I've seen Pink Peace and IMHO The McCartney Rose has prettier flowers. The depth and intensity of the rich rose pink color is hard to match.

Image by Cindi 8b9aTexas at Hortiplex

Original Author
    16 years ago

Molineaux, I am in complete agreement with you about McCartney. Fragrant, tough, lovely. Hurricane Rita, in 2005, ripped up my fabulously big plant....almost trashed it but set it back upright, and it is coming back just fine. I just wanted another fragrant pink and read something about PP.....I will be able to get a top notch plant of PP this weekend, so plan to try it. But would sure not trade off my McCartney rose for anything! If mine ends up dying.....I will replace it. And I agree with Digger - I love my Tournament of Roses. It is healthy, blooms lots and is beautiful. By the way.....which one of these pinks has the largest bloom?
    Judith

• Jeannie Cochell
    16 years ago

LOL...I don't much like pink roses so only have four pink HT's. The McCartney, Pink Peace, Perfume Delight and Peter Mayle. Except for Peter Mayle, they're all wonderful bloomers with excellent scent. Ol' Peter is rather stingy but he does have a great fragrance.

My favorite of the ones listed is The McCartney. No, Pink Peace. No, The McCartney. No....can't you get them both?

Original Author
    16 years ago

Peter Mayle is on order for spring, I have McCartney, and am going to get Pink Peace this weekend. Any more of these pinks I should consider?
    Judith

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Judith, if you don't have Frederic Mistral - that rose is a must; it is pale pink but the fragrance! In pale pink with a bit of mauve tones Memorial Day is a good cutting rose - fragrant, almost thornless and like the heat. (well, thrips like the rose, too)

We shouldn't forget Parole (Boxom Beauty) - HUGE blooms that are very, very fragrant. I don't know though if it is widely available or not (I have 3 - don't ask my why when I have not one inch free space)

• jaygee340
    16 years ago

I simply love it, and I have three.

• rebber
    16 years ago

I really like the Miss All American Beauty I think it is a wonderful pink flower!

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    16 years ago

I don't know if labrea was kidding about Pink Peace (which is my very favorite rose) not having fragrance. BUT I have discovered there are two versions on the market that are very similar in color, but one has the intense fragrance (love it) that Pink Peace is known for and the other has no fragrance whatsoever. I know this because I have tried to purchase it several times in the past few years and have always gotten the Pink Peace No Fragrance version. And returned them. Unfortunately mine did not make it through this winter! I had it for about 15 years and am so upset about losing it. I must find another one...

• jaygee340
    16 years ago

I agree with countrygirl. One which I have is having exotic fragrance.

Original Author
    16 years ago

I got my Pink Peace last weekend from a very reputable nurseryman who sells exceptional roses. Now......guess I wait to see if it is fragrant. Would it be that the non fragrant ones are found in stores like Walmart, in body bags and ones ordered from actual rose nurseries have scent? Is there any difference in the looks of these roses?
    Judith

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Pink Peace is very fragrant, period. The only way one can get non-fragrant Pink Peace from Walmart etc. if the rose is mislabeled for another pink with no fragrance. There are many pink roses, so it isn't that difficult to mislabel them. Many years ago Walmart was able to mislabel Buff Beauty that turned out to be Zephirine Drouhin.

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Perfume Delight was my most disaterous rose. Not only was it an underperformer (both of them), I could not get the Blackspot under control Not all the sprays in Christendom could keep leaves on it. It became a source of disease for roses growing around them... radiating zones of leaflessness.
    When I finally saw the light (through the leafless rose canes) and shovelpruned the offending Perfume Delights, the neighborhood improved and their neighbor roses kept their leaves with moderate BS spray regimes.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Sounds like I did myself a big favor getting Pink Peace. I have a prime piece of real estate for it, and as soon as the rains stop....it will be planted. It is a gorgeous potted specimen - if any of you Forum members are near Houston, go to Robertsons Roses near Pearland - he has the best potted roses I have ever seen! Cant wait to see this beauty bloom in my all pink bed! It will be next to climbing Pearly Gates, and Ruffles on the other side....
    Judith

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Judith, you will love Pink Peace. There is no reason not to love that rose. It is much better than Perfume Delight - that behaved in my yard like Ann's. One advice though. If you can plant Pink Peace in a spot where it is protected from afternoon sun the flowers will last much longer. Otherwise cut it in bud stage and enjoy the perfume indoors. Amazingly the flowers last much longer if cut than they do if the rose planted in full sun.

• curlydoc
    16 years ago

Perfume Delight is one of my all time favorites for fragrance.

{{gwi:230216}}

Perfume Delight

16 years ago

Actually I purchased the No Fragrance Pink Peaces over the course of several years at various places, one of which was Wally World. Roses Unlimited has the fragrant one and I will be bringing at least one home when I attend SpringFest.

• rosesplease
    16 years ago

I just love Pink Peace also. But - mine has died and I need to order another one. I have found them very hard to find. (in fact, I ordered one last year - and it bloomed bright yellow!) I want to order online. Any ideas?

Thanks.........

16 years ago

Rose Unlimited usually has Pink Peace. I didn't make it to Spring Fest today since it is RAINING! I know we need the rain, but I really wanted to go to Spring Fest...

• lauraja_rocketmail_com
    13 years ago

I have a "Climbing Pink Peace", it has grown enormously tall from bareroot this year, but not a single bud so far (while all my other roses already have started blooming this year, including others started from bare root this spring). I have fed the rose with a fertilizer spike designed to encouraging blooming. Another else I should do differently?

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County