Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

Can you help me whittle down my Vintage list?

ilovemyroses
11 years ago

Yes, I want them all, but after a hefty order last fall, I am afraid I need NONE, but...gosh, just have to snatch a few more while I can to support our friends. Obviously I love the teas. The most interesting, favorites, or best performers....hot texas sun! Would like to just fill one box of four....thanks!!!

Paul Nabonnand
Mme. Charles
Le Pactole
La Sylphide
Huntington Pink Tea
Gilbert Nabonnand
Enchantress
Blumenschmidt
Baronne Henriette de Snoy

Comments (21)

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

I can't tell you what I would take off of that list. It's a wonderful group of roses.
    I can tell you that I am particularly fond of Madame Charles and that Le Pactole becomes huge(though I love Le Pactole)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

The only one I have that's on your list is G Nabbonand, a large prolific bloomer here in Dallas. I love it!

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Y'all aren't helping!! :) :) :)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

I would eliminate Blumenschmidt and Enchantress. Blumenschmidt has had negative reviews by many, including me, which is why it's no longer in my garden. Enchantress didn't do well for me or Sherry in Florida, if memory serves, and is long gone. From personal experience I would choose Madame Charles and La Sylphide, but very satisfactory and beautiful roses. I've heard Gilbert Nabonnand praised quite a bit but have not grown it. Le Pactole seems wonderful if you have the room and Baronne Henriette de Snoy seems to be a very beautiful rose. Hope this helps!

Ingrid

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

Mme. Charles is a tough, healthy blooming rose - I plan to get another one. I dont have G. Nabonnand but plan to get one at the Antique Rose Emporium when I go next month. I dont grow - but would like to - the others on your list. Dont know how you are going to whittle that list! I would just buy some pots and make a pot ghetto! They are all good roses!

• roseseek
    11 years ago

How about eliminating those readily available from other nurseries so you only give homes to ones which could become orphans once Vintage is no longer there? That should whittle it down a little. Kim

• bobtrann
    11 years ago

Don't get Enchantress...it didn't even like Hawaii. Most teas love Hawaii. This is the only one that wouldn't grow no matter what I did and finally croaked.

• sherryocala
    11 years ago

Blumenschmidt consistently got veggie centers for me. Alas, Enchantress is gone to Rose Petals Nursery, beautiful color and all. She really does ball a lot here. I gave my La Sylphide to Rose Petals, too. She's a gorgeous pink, but she nodded a lot. I miss her lovely behind but I needed room. I think she'll be a fine rose when she's taller, and at some point RPN will have plants, so that's a reason to take her off your Vintage list.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

G. Nabonnand is a great rose. Blooms all the time and has a graceful form. Wonderful tea.

• zjw727
    11 years ago

Or...you could also get Hoag House Cream...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.206712

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

geez!! lost my personalized reply!! dag nab it!!

ok, briefly, enchantress and blumenschmidt off the list. thanks for the warning, despite their beauty, I need, and can have tried and true! La Pactole is off too, huge and a touch less interest in the color, as Ducher carries that so well at much less size.

yes? G Nabonnand!!! Madame Charles!!! (great color!!)
    La Sylhpide, and Baronne Henriette de Snoy.

I am drooling already!!!

and, a catalogue. bittersweet for sure.

Thanks to all that helped, sorry the personalize thanks got lost, but my patience is wearing thin!! :)

any size comments on B. H. de S. and G. Nabbonand? Mutablis sized? bigger??

• jerijen
    11 years ago

One little word in defense of Le Pactole -- a rose that survived where a 19th-Century garden became a dirt parking lot. When it opens with gold at its heart, the bloom reminds you why it was named for the river where Midas washed away the curse of the golden touch.

As an immature plant, it was ugly. Awkward. Mildewy.
    In maturity, it is -- yes -- BIG.

The blooms have increased in size and quantity. The disease problems disappeared. the plant became the thing that took my breath away in the Sacramento Cemetery.

And this is a rose, once ruled extinct, which could easily be lost forever. This is the sort of rose we are called to preserve.

Jeri

• jerijen
    11 years ago

One little word in defense of Le Pactole -- a rose that survived where a 19th-Century garden became a dirt parking lot. When it opens with gold at its heart, the bloom reminds you why it was named for the river where Midas washed away the curse of the golden touch.

As an immature plant, it was ugly. Awkward. Mildewy.
    In maturity, it is -- yes -- BIG.

The blooms have increased in size and quantity. The disease problems disappeared. the plant became the thing that took my breath away in the Sacramento Cemetery.

And this is a rose, once ruled extinct, which could easily be lost forever. This is the sort of rose we are called to preserve.

Jeri

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the stuff I don't know, Jeri. I've got an email in to change something that I found locally and will take you up on that. I was missing it already, as I looked out at my Ducher in love with the color at moonlight! Thanks!

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

(Duplicate)

This post was edited by ilovemyroses on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 22:26

• jerijen
    11 years ago

I do a lot of random thinking, while washing breakfast dishes. This morning, I was thinking about gardens of white and near-white roses, in moonlight. Like -- Ducher, Le Pactole, Jesse Hildreth, Lamarque, Secret Garden Musk Climber, et al ...

A friend in NoCal has a Ducher -- a Found clone of it that she called "White Christmas."

She said that, for several years, it was 4-5 ft. tall, and in bloom almost all the year. Then, she put a fence behind it. The rose promptly shot up to 7 ft.

Her photo of "White Christmas"/'Ducher' could knock your socks off. :-) I was thinking about roses like that ...

Jeri

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I've said this before, this is NOT the place to ask for help in whittling DOWN a rose list, lol! You are far more likely to end up adding to it.

Jeri, I really like that white/moon garden idea!

• cweathersby
    11 years ago

Mme. Charles- a beautiful rose, big and bushy and monsterously sized, not that fragrant, blooms lose petals and size in Texas heat.
    Le Pactole - I've tried this one at least twice and it doesn't like growing in my garden.
    Huntington Pink Tea- If it's what I'm thinking of (I've got 2 Huntingtons and I don't know for sure if I'm thinking of the right one) - the blooms get kind of splotchy, but otherwise it's great.
    Blumenschmidt- No. I love teas, but this rose shouldn't be grown anywhere. Vegetative centers, muddled colors, splotchy. Ugly all the way around.
    BHdS- Is not really looking like a tea rose. Mine wants to throw long canes like a climber would, and not get bushy at all. I want to take cuttings and relocate it. Otherwise, the blooms are to die for and are very fragrant. But it really can't be placed in the landscape.
    Hope this helps!

• cweathersby
    11 years ago

Oops! I got BHdSnoy mixed up with Mme Jules Gravereaux. Ignore what I said. BHdSnoy is a good rose so far. Thick caned and very large plant.

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

DOWN?, well, no. Okay, I have seen Blumenschmidt & Enchantress pretty available--even at relatively small local nurseries.

Sorry to read the middlin' opinions re. Blumenschmidt--just picked one up.

I've been doing as Kim & Jeri & others recommend--draw up a wish list, check HelpMeFind's "plant search/look-up" & see what's available elsewhere, like from Rouge Valley (LOTS), Burling, etc. Then start the order with plants that are EXCLUSIVE to Vintage & use other available plants to round it off as needed.

The tragedy is that Vintage is the sole commercial source for so many.

I just added the HT Olympiad (1931) last night. Another beauty thought to be extinct. FWIW, my last-chance Vintage orders have been pretty heavy on the old & classic HTs & floribundas. The OGRs are much more available now, even available from in-state vendors like Chablees & ARE.
    If I had the $ I'd order every rose Vintage has exclusively preserved.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

It may be the different conditions -- but Le Pactole was not a pretty plant here, until it got into the ground and could expand. It was mildewy and angular.

Maturity (and in my conditions at least this isn't uncommon) made all the difference in it.

Jeri