Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
senko_gw

Climbing roses with clematis

senko
15 years ago

I have a pergola and last year I planted Clematis Jackmanii next to one of the columns. This year two climbing roses are coming: Crown Princess Margareta, A Shropshire Lad and Clematis Niobe. My plan was to plant ASL with Niobe and not sure about CPM with Jackmanii, since I am not sure if clematis will overpower the rose. Any suggestions for either combination?

Comments (5)

• seattlesuze
    15 years ago

Referring back to the current threads on the forum, how mature will these roses be? Jackmanii is huge, 9-12 feet high but very vigorous. Niobe is smaller, 7-9 feet, and not so intimidating as a plant, should do very well.

Debbie of Silver Star Vinery sells both of these and has an excellent photo of Jackmanii that will give you a sense of its size. You might want to consider Harlow Carr instead of Jackmanii. The flowers are airier in effect and would allow the rose to dominate, it has the height you're seeking and its vigor isn't intimidating. In addition, it blooms all summer long and is also available at Silver Star. I menton SSV because their plants are always fabulous with very strong, well-developed root systems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Star Vinery - Jackmanii

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

I have had a viticella clematis (Polish Spirit) overwhelm a rose, and the rose eventually died.

Rosefolly

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Jackmanii is vigorous, Polish Spirit is very vigorous, there are very large and vigorous clematis in all the types. You really need to research a clematis and it's ultimate size and growth habit before planting it with a rose. They are wonderful companions if you have the right clematis with the right rose. Clematis on the Web has information and photo's of most clematis and is a good resource. It's not just a matter of choosing a color, it is a matter of finding a clematis with the color you want that also plays nice with the rose. Sue grows a ton of clematis and knows/grows them well. I have Niobe planted with Sombreuil and it is well mannered :-). You might also ask about particular clematis at the clematis forum on GW. Very smart people over there too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web

• senko
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Jackmanii will be staying alone. Niobe will pair. I need to find a vibrant purple clematis with good behavior. I'll check Clematis on the web and Silver Star Vinery. Clematis Beauty of Worcester will be coming which is blueish and not as big. May be that will do. Thanks again.

• york_rose
    15 years ago

Even where you live in PA I can assure you that the only roses you would ever pair with Jackmanii should be ones both very vigorous and also fairly long-caned (12'-15'+). Jackmanii is gorgeous, but very vigorous. I can imagine it working nicely with New Dawn in a situation where New Dawn was in its vigorous glory (although a deeper pink would be even nicer).