Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Looking for Evergreen Shrubs for Zone 5B

lovefornature
15 years ago

Hi all :)

I have a long dead space in front of my front yard deck I am wishing to fill.

I picked out a bunch of perennials (few hosta, different coral bells, creeping jenny, jack frost, but partially failed to think about the actual "bones" of the area.

The middle of the bed is marked for a pond.

I need some more "bones"...........

I have a few questions.

Is there any dwarf holly that is evergreen in my Zone 5B. I looked around a could not find any. 3 ft. tall is about my limit.

I considered drawf boxwood too, which can be very pretty if you don't trim them into those ugly shapes, but I heard they stink and I am not sure they are hardy here either.

Red twig dogwood, I believe I found this on the net, anyone know anything about it.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. The area goes from part sun to part shade.

Oh, I actually looked at drawf evergreens (like juniper, etc.) and could not find any that I thought would blend well in this garden.

And what else besides something evergreen would make good bones for all-year interest.

Thanks all :)

Comments (6)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

If you're considering hollies, then I assume you are certain that your soil is acid enough for them. If it is, you should look at Kalmias (Mt. Laurel) and Rhododendrons, both of which offer many cultivars in your height range. However, Kalmias can take much more sun than Rhododendrons.

There are also boxwoods that would be quite hardy in your zone, and I doubt you'd ever notice any smell at all. You might also look at Arctostaphyllos x coloradensis, Hybrid Manzanita (sold by High Country Gardens and Lazy S's), a broad leafed evergreen for full sun and alkaline to acid soil.

• alexis717_df
    15 years ago

I'm in 5b in Washington State. Depending on shade/sun ratio and time of day you might look at Skimmia. They are evergreen, the flowers smell nice and they are in your height range. They do require a fair amount of shade. Mine get about 3 hours full sun in the morning only, dappled sunlight for about another 3 hours then full shade.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    15 years ago

Alexis, I'm happy to hear that you have luck with Skimmia in zone 5b. I thought they were a zone 6 shrub. Very nice shrub. I'll have to try it.

I agree with lacey on the Kalmia idea. Mine are in full sun and are very happy. They grow much more compact in full sun. At about 8 years old, they are 3-4 feet high and wide. I especially like the way the darker buds have so much interest for a couple of weeks before the flowers pop giving another couple of weeks interest. Mine also happens to get quite red stems in winter which is interesting.

I think red-twig dogwood would be too big for your area. I try to keep mine pruned back a bit at 6 X 6. It does provide some great winter interest when the red stems get covered in ice.

You might also want to take a look at Mahonia aquifolium. There is a compact variety that gets 2-3 feet high. Glossy green summer foliage turning bronze in the winter months. Yellow flowers in spring followed by blue berries. It does prefer a bit of shade.

• earlybirdz5b
    15 years ago

I live in the same zone (Kansas City) and had the same problem. I am having good luck with euonymous and nandina. Nandina stays small, about a foot, and is green in summer, turning red in winter. I have about three different euonymous varieties, that grow from about a foot up to three feet tall. I also like Blue Chip Juniper, which stays about ten to twelve inches high, and spreads wide, it's a good filler.
    I have a dogwood too.. mine only gets about 4x4 'cuz it is in considerable shade.

• alexis717_df
    15 years ago

Thyme2dig: Yes my Skimmia's are doing very well and I also have Mahonia aquifolium, 5 of them, they also do well and receive much more sun than my Skimmia's. Glad to hear your Kalmia's do well in the sun. I just planted 4 of them, their about 3'tall, but I was a little concerned about the amount of sun (full)that they receive.

• waplummer
    15 years ago

The blue hollies would work. I have one that I have ahd for 30 years and a once a year pruning has kept it about two feet high. Pieris floribunda, Mountain andromeda and Leucothea are two other choices. Mountain Laurel is fantastic. I have several that are in bloom right now.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals