Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_511558083

Planting distance Question

HU-511558083
20 days ago

Hi everyone! I have this long but somewhat narrow spot for roses. Is this too close to the pencil Hollys? It’s 2 feet.
If I were to plant off to the side where the small lavender in a pot is, I’m afraid the rose would catch people going in/out. That’s the edge of my patio where a door is. Let me know if you think this an acceptable distance.

Comments (17)

• Ken Wilkinson
    20 days ago

It should work.

• HU-511558083
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Whew! Thank you. I was worried.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    20 days ago

It's going to depend on the rose. Some will grow large enough to swamp that position while others will stay more compact.

• HU-511558083
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Gardengal- both are own root, Bolero and Bliss Parfuma. I tried to pick smaller varieties. But yeah, that was my other thought.

• floraluk2
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

I think it's too close. And I'd stagger the roses and the hollies, not put one in front of the other.

Hard to see what the green shoots are but if it's nutgrass or a creeping grass it really needs dealing with before planting up the bed.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    20 days ago

Bolero should stay relatively small but even in my zone 5/6 Bliss can get 5' or more. It stays relatively narrow as roses go, but you may be better off with something that stays reliably lower there like a Drift rose or Icecap.

Cynthia

• HU-511558083
    Original Author
    20 days ago

floraluk- it’s Kentucky bluegrass shoots. They’ve been dealt with, that’s why they’re turning brown.
    Yeah, I could stagger them, that was my initial plan. As for Bliss, that’s why she’s on the end. I know she’ll get larger. I’ve had bolero before and never got past 3-4 ft even on multiflora rootstock.
    My only reason for changing my mind on staggering is I’m concerned about the thorns catching people going by. We go in/ out the door many times a day. I’ll have to think about this more apparently lol

• HU-511558083
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Here’s a better view.

• HU-511558083
    Original Author
    20 days ago

The rose hogging the middle space is Sweet Rose of Mine from J& P. I know it’s going to get good sized. It’s grafted.

• PDXRobertZ8
    20 days ago

It'll be fine. You should see how closely mine are planted.

• HU-511558083
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Elena- ooo great idea! 🙂 roses are my favorite! We moved to a new house so I’m starting over. From absolute scratch. It’s a blank 1/2 acre lot. The builders landscaped the front but the back is untouched (evident by the patchy fescue lol) . It’s clay and sand, been tough creating garden areas.

PDXRobert- great to know! I’m so glad to hear it. I asked myself if perhaps I might be a bit insane 😄

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    20 days ago

I like the idea of staggering roses with pencil holly, or as Elena drew, two roses between the hollies. What are the companion plants? I tend to like more roses, less everything else, too!

• HU-511558083
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Hi Ben- the companion plants are sage, thyme, rosemary, lavender, catmint, blue salvia . It’s right out my kitchen door, thought it would be nice to have fresh herbs available and some height/ color variances. Things that will compliment the roses. Hopefully. Haha!

• elenazone6
    19 days ago

Be careful plating herbs near to roses, at some point you might need to spray them.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    19 days ago

Also woody herbs like sage, rosemary and lavender tend to want dry conditions and roses are water hogs so they might not be compatible in your climate. I have lavender on the edge of some beds with roses but they face the hot dry street and tend to have little mulch where the roses are in the cozier parts of the bed with more protection and water.

Cynthia

• HU-511558083
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Elena & Nippstress-
    these are great points! I can still place the roses where Elena suggested and move the herbs to the far end where it’s dryer and out of the way incase I need to spray.

It’s been 8 years since I’ve had roses in ground. This has been a great refresher for me! Things I didn’t consider or simply forgot.

Thanks so much to everyone who commented! I truly appreciate it.