Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
infernokoi

Lowe's Garden Treasure brand pond pumps?

infernokoi
15 years ago

does anyone have any experience using garden treasure pumps from lowes? i plan to get one b/c u dont have to w8 for shipping

Comments (23)

• lsst
    15 years ago

I use one for my crane fountains in my pond. It has lasted about 2 years.

• infernokoi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

would it be better to invest $5 more for a 1800gph pondmaster mag drive pump rather than the 2000gph garden treasure pump from lowes?

• delaney276
    15 years ago

I've got a 640gph pump from Lowe's that I paid 79.95 for and it works fine.(1year 2 months old).but I also have a 3280gph pump from harborfreight that I paid 79.95 for..and it works fine too.(3 months old)....Dave

• watershaper
    15 years ago

We've been selling danner for 5 years and have never had one returned that wasn't operator error. The most reliable small to mid size pumps out there. I've got a bias against any big box store, but I've had good luck with lowes. I'd strongly suggest a specialty shop that has service and knowledgeable people if theres any close. Danner's the most reliable any way you look at it though.

• steve1young
    15 years ago

Have you considered usage costs? Maybe one will cost less than another because it uses less electricity to do the same thing. That could save you a considerable amount of money over time. Something to consider.

• mastiff_lover
    15 years ago

Garden treasure pumps are total junk. what a piece of crap. I have had 2 that each lasted about 6-8 months.. they want me to return pump to manufacturer for repair/replace. meanwhile what happens to my biological filter in the meantime.. their suggestion was to buy a quote "back=up" pump while it takes 2-3 weeks to fix or replace..

• tomkaren
    15 years ago

I use a Lowes pump and like the way it works, quiet. However I got it because I need a pump quickly and the price was okay. This is the second one and the first failed becuse I did not clean it.

• bonecarver
    15 years ago

I ran one for 2 years, 24/7/365 and when it quit I called the company, sent it back and had a new one in mail in less then 10 days. Can not ask for better service... But... If the difference is affordable for you to get the mag drive I would do that for sure.

• landey1230
    15 years ago

I'm on my 2nd GT pump. The first one lasted just under a year. I took it back to Lowes and they replaced it, no questions asked. As far as Lowes' service, it is great. The pump, I think I will invest in a different type when this one goes out.

• rclloyd
    15 years ago

If a company sees fit not post any of it's information on the web, I mean anywhere, I figure it is a sub-par outfit. You can't find any specs on their pumps. I'd look elsewhere unless your looking for a sump pump.

• haitidoc
    15 years ago

I've been happy with small sump pumps. Put them in a basket so they don't get clogged up.

• billinpa
    15 years ago

Posted by rclloyd Z6 Idaho (My Page) on Wed, Feb 11, 09 at 23:00

If a company sees fit not post any of it's information on the web, I mean anywhere, I figure it is a sub-par outfit. You can't find any specs on their pumps. I'd look elsewhere unless your looking for a sump pump.

If I had to guess Garden Treasures is just a repackaged product. Thats just a guess.

• flora2b
    15 years ago

One must always consider power usage when talking about pumps.....electricity is an ongoing expense and it adds up quickly...make sure you compare wattage. Paying a bit more for lower wattage will pay for itself very quickly.
    I agree Garden Treasures is likely a repackaged product.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Do yourself a favor and buy a mag drive pump. We've had three Pondmasters. The only reason we had to buy the second one is because we didn't take care of the first one. The third is in a new pond. The first one lasted over five years. The second one is on it's fourth year.

These pumps cost more up front but they use less electricity and break down much less often.

• archtraveler
    15 years ago

We have a small 250-gallon pond and, as of two days ago, gone through three magnetic drive and one direct drive pumps (all Garden Treasures), in the span of 3 1/2 years. The direct drive burned out when my wife forgot to check and clean it while I was away on business for a month last summer, so I don't fault Garden Treasures for that. My gripe is that the impeller shaft has broken on all three mag drive pumps, obviously a problem with insufficient material strength in the metal used. For what it is, these pumps are not cheap in price but certainly in quality, as far as I'm concerned.

• jpinard
    15 years ago

I checked out Lowes pump electrical usage and they use 25-40% more electricity than a comparable drive.
    When you considering 300 Watts vs. 200 Watts... that's kinda major.

• fieldensva
    15 years ago

I've had good luck with most of my GT pumps. Does anyone have the phone number, email, or web address to Garden Treasures? I need a replacement impeller for a PP1300. The ceramic shaft broke. It's the first problem IÂve ever had with it.

• danamarkraz_gmail_com
    14 years ago

"would it be better to invest $5 more for a 1800gph pondmaster mag drive pump rather than the 2000gph garden treasure pump from lowes?"

Mag drive pump. I have two, over ten years old and still running in a pond. You can easily buy replacement parts, something I have not had to do. Understand, I have never run them dry.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

For circulating water in a fish stocked pond-get the Pondmaster mag drive. I actually have a different brand-but I've never read a bad comment about the Pondmaster pumps and replacement parts are available if ever needed. If you just want to pump water to a fountain, the Lowes pump may be sufficient. I'm not familiar with the Lowes pump, but if it has a built in fountain-you'll need to either use it with clear water or clean the small pores frequently.

• cgrendy3
    14 years ago

"Does anyone have the phone number, email, or web address to Garden Treasures?"

"If I had to guess Garden Treasures is just a repackaged product"

I have a GT pump from Lowes--model PP675--that's only a year old and just 'died' on me... so I pulled it out of the pond to troubleshoot it.

Anyway... able to get a good close look at the pump, this is what I found. The only company name on the pump is Geoglobal Partners. The following excerpt sheds more light on this company...

"In TARGET Intelligence Report, Volume VIII, Number 190, published on October 6, 2006:
    Since December 2003, Peaktop International Holdings Ltd has been doing business with Peaktop Technologies (USA) Hongkong Ltd, selling gardening and water-gardening products, with Geoglobal Partners, being a distributor of the products, which have been manufactured by companies within the Peaktop International Holdings Group of Companies or via sub-contractors in the employ of Peaktop International Holdings..."

Huh?... or, in other words, these GT pumps are made--who knows where--by who knows who... distributed by Geoglobal and marketed under Garden Treasures! Buyer beware... I'll not purchase another! I also found the following schematic page for my GT pump searching by the 'model number' on the pump, 'lowes' and the word 'pump.'...

www.silkroadgifts.com/Media/59086_PP675_pump.pdf

Hope this helps! Good luck!

• mckool
    14 years ago

I've had Cal pumps with good success - watch the internet sites; ponds4less has had some amazing pricing on mag pumps. Ebay also has some deals.

Again watch the power usage -

In ponding, I think you need to have a backup pump on-hand, regardless of brand(s). In my 8 years of ponding, nothing has broken when I had the time to go "shopping".
    Lowe's and Home Depot are the only two stores close with any kind of pondn equipment and very limited at that. It is a 20 mile plus drive in metro traffic to a pond place of any size and they are not normally open when the pump dies.
    What I've done was get the first pump and then watched the internet sites for specials/sales to get either a better pump greater flow pump and then the original pump becomes the backup pump.

• lilirichvon_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I have had 3 pumps from Lowe's. All have failed in a short time. The plastic impellers wear down and pumping capacity disappears.Have tried to get replacement parts but have not been able to reach the manufacturer.

• okiee
    13 years ago

I have a GT pump and I am now on my third one!Luckily Lowes was very good about taking it back with no questions asked. I now use Harbor Freight pumps and they have a coupon every Sunday in our Sunday paper so I saved twenty percent lol!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals