Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edbradl_gw

Unidentified shrub

edbradl
9 years ago

I bought this shrub on clearance, but its tag was missing. The branches seem to have a little bit of a sideways habit... Hard to tell.

Any help appreciated! I'd love to find out what kind it is if possible, before choosing where to plant it. Bought it at a local hardware store in DC.

Emily

Comments (9)

• edbradl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Additional photo of plant part (what are these??)

• alisonoz_gw
    9 years ago

I have no idea what your plant is but am guessing that the 2nd photo shows remains where flower has fallen and possibly enlarging seed capsules.

• carol23_gw
    9 years ago

Thinking it may be Heptacodium miconiodes.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Looks like Weigela to me. Those are the fruit forming.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

as to siting ... at least 6 feet from anything .... it looks to have the potential to be a big bush .... more specifically.. flowering shrub ....

if it flowers next year.. ask again ... with a pic of such ...

ken

• thefof Zone 8/9 UK
    9 years ago

I second floral_uk with Weigela.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I concur on weigela

• calliope
    9 years ago

Some weigela cultivars stay smallish, but most don't. Lovely shrub when in bloom, and very easy to grow. They look contrived when heavily pruned to keep in bounds, so give it lots of space, especially since you don't know the cultivar. Mine are at least as broad as they are tall. I'd suggest a good cut back early on in its life to increase the side branching, so it doesn't start out leggy and then let it rip.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

yeah .. there are some dwarfs ...

but not knowing.. i would site for the monster.. and move it later if it ends up dwarf ...

after next springs growth.. you might get an idea of which.. depending on it spring growth ... annual growth rate.. but for the pot... usually defines mature height... as most tags list size at 10 years ...

except for being abused in the pot.. and perhaps hyper-fert'd ... if it grows a foot next spring.. its PROBABLY the large one.. if half or so.. the dwarf ... the better test would be if it is in mother earth.. and not fert'd at planting.. to find out ..

regardless... its a flowering shrubs ... and can be size managed thru rejuvenation pruning ... but not haircuts ....

just dont plant it ON the foundation ... min 5 feet from such.. IMHO ...

see you in the shrub forum for more guidance.. should you wish such ... but they are not going to be able to name it.. before it flowers ...

ken