Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosecats_gw

Where to put Gloire des Rosomanes et al

rosecats
14 years ago

Reds are the hardest colors for me to place in my garden. The reds currently in my pot ghetto are - Rosomanes, WS 2000, Archduke Charles, Old Master, Papageno, (ok, the lst 2 are floribundas, but I love them & the oolor certainly isn't scarlet)

So...does anyone think they work well together? I think Papageno may be the least likely candidate. I've got a tentative plan to intermix them w/ white roses & hopefully bypass some of the color compatability issues.

Please tell me that you think!

Comments (5)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

Mixing them with white roses seems like a good idea but I would also plant some other plants such as lavenders, sages or other perennials in lavender-blue and white colors to soften the colors and shapes of the roses. Roses by themselves often can be a bit boring and the companion plants will lends softness and other colors and shapes, in addition to attracting helpful insects and other wild creatures. It's a win-win situation for everyone.

Ingrid

• melissa_thefarm
    14 years ago

I guess this is a matter of personal taste. I would never put red and white together: it's much too much like a national flag. Also red and cool pink side by side set my teeth on edge. I would put cherry red/purplish red alongside any kind of soft peach/apricot/pink-yellow blend/soft buttery or creamy yellow. Also fluorescent orange-pinks are surprisingly attractive, as long as there are pale roses nearby to soften the general effect. Perhaps this is color heresy, but these are the combinations that satisfy my eyes. Shades of lavender and grayed blues are always welcome with roses.
    Melissa

• rjlinva
    14 years ago

I put any colors together. My choice usually depends on two factors: what roses do I have in my driveway that need to be planted, and where do I have a spot that is right for the ultimate size/shape of the rose. Color is a very minor consideration.

I have been trying a few "calculated" combinatons, however. For example, I've planted Tausendschon and Ghislaine de Feligonde together. I've been told this is a remarkable combination. I've also put Ghislaine de Feligonde with Climbing Pinkie on a stretch of wrought iron fence. I also put Black Prince with Gardenia which I think turned out beautifully.

Currently, I am considering adding Crepuscule to Alexandre Girault to extend the bloom period of a high focus area on a rather large "bare" brick wall. Alexandre Girault will provide a wonderful glossy green (healthy) backdrop, and I think Crepuscule will add significant color from a distance.

Robert

• berndoodle
    14 years ago

I don't love red. ARchduke Charles fits in anywhere because the blooms are often two-toned, and it doesn't run to scarlet. I have it right next to Lavender Dream, and it looks fine. It will fine with any pinks, mauves or whites. I've banished Glore des Rosomanes, which is a fabulous rose here, out to an area where it can be with two ginormous Linda Campbells. Both are terrific, neither is scarlet, which wins them a reprieve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Archduke Charles

• jerijen
    14 years ago

I DO love red, and I also love red and pink together. Happens in nature, after all.

And I would love to stagger Ragged Robin with Grandmother's Hat in an informal hedge.

Jeri

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012