Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cemeteryrose

Ohio Event - Garden of Roses of Legend and Romance- Open Day

cemeteryrose
16 years ago

This wonderful Ohio State University garden at the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center in Wooster, OH, is going to have its first ever Open Day on June 14th, to raise public awareness and encourage visitors to spend time enjoying the over 1000 heritage roses. The garden has been there over 30 years, and the roses are mature, impressive and beautiful. If you plan to be in the area, it's well worth visiting. I discovered it a couple of years ago, and was very impressed. Please help spread the word so that there is a good turnout. Maybe I'll see some of you there! (I'll be in Ohio for my mother's 90th birthday a few days earlier - will stay for this event!)

Anita

Here is a link that might be useful: Open Day Press Release

Comments (15)

• jackie_o
    16 years ago

Oh Anita thanks for posting this. I'll definitely go and I hope I get to meet you!

• barbarag_happy
    16 years ago

You're in for a treat, as this is a beautiful area of rolling hills. Not far from the garden is a planting of evergreens and conifers that was spectacular--I haven't been to OARDC in ages. In addition to the OGR's they have a collection of unusual shrubs (which incl. at one time Ohio, Hanseat, Nevada, and Fritz Nobis). LOTS of hybrid musks too. I've circled the date, thanks so much for posting!

• cincy_city_garden
    16 years ago

Yes, thanks Anita for posting! Something actually close to me (2 hours up the highway).

Eric

• cincy_city_garden
    16 years ago

Thought I'd post a link to their website. They've got pictures of the roses that grow there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden of Roses of Legend and Romance

• cincy_city_garden
    16 years ago

Ack, just clicked around the site. It could use some QA work, they've got Portlands listed under Teas, and the Green Rose listed as Hermosa.

Eric

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

I've put it on our calendar, it's not all that far.
    I wonder if I can find a Packard or British Car event up there that weekend for DH? (Who likes roses well enough, but cars make it special for him, too.)

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

And I will be western Pennsylvania a month before. No way I can stretch it that far, since have to come home for our dog's surgery. But if it is a yearly event I may try to go next year.

Rosefolly

• cemeteryrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eric, I'll take a look at that website and see if I can help Kelly, the garden manager, out. She's a horticulturist but still learning about roses. Some of you who came to Madam President at Garden Valley Ranch may have met her.

Quite a few of the roses are misidentified. When I went to the garden two years ago, she was hopeful that I could help her out with correcting the info, but the roses that she grows aren't my bailiwick (and rose ID is not my strong suit, anyway). If any of you come and notice any errors, let me know.
    Anita

• carolfm
    16 years ago

If I take off anywhere else this year DH will kill me, but those of you who can, please go! These events are so much fun. You get to see beautiful roses and meet "friends" who are as rose obsessed as yourself. Anita, I think it is wonderful that you are helping them with this project. How on earth do you find time to do all that you do??

Carol

• cincy_city_garden
    16 years ago

I'm definitely going...if I could just choose to be anything, I'd love to be garden manager at such a place. This place is practically in my backyard and I didn't know it...it will be nice meet actual forumers. Are Jackie and myself the only Ohioans?

How do you find each other at the events? I've never been to one, so I guess I'll have to post a follow up saying, "I'll be one in the blue shirt with white stripes" or something. Or I guess I could post a picture :)

Eric

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

Oh how I wish I were in better condition-----This sounds like a fantastic place-----
    Maybe next year.

Florence

• cemeteryrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Most likely, I'll be the one in the purple polo shirt that says "Historic Rose Garden, Sacramento, California." That should make me fairly easy to spot, I bet!

I haven't done much for Kelly and the Wooster garden, but I'd love to do more! There was talk of trying to put together a team to help identify the roses, and I'd like to make that happen. There was also talk of a regional HRF symposium there, and I'd certainly help if I could. I visit Ohio three or four times a year because my mother is still on the farm there, north of Dayton, so it's not like I'm making a separate trip. I'm retired, so have quite a bit of available time, although it seems that I'm volunteering somewhere just about as much (or more) than I used to work!
    Anita

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    16 years ago

Well, I'm going to be in Ohio the weekend before as luck would have it, so I won't get to see you all there on the 14th. Drats. Actually, I'm headed to Columbus to visit my niece and her family and she has promised to take me to a wonderful rose garden nearby...then we're headed up to Cleveland to see my other 2 nieces. The Wooster garden is so on the way - I wonder if it is open other days than the Open House? I'll have to call and see.
    Thanks for posting this, Anita!

Anne

• cemeteryrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anne, yes, it's open to the public every day during daylight hours. I've seen the Columbus Park of Roses, too - it's very nice, with lots of modern roses, and some OGRs. It's certainly possible to see both in one trip. Anita

• jackie_o
    16 years ago

Annececilia where are you going to be in Cleveland? I'm on the East side.

Eric you tell me what you're wearing cause I'll be deciding that morning based on weather lol. I just can't pick out clothes in advance.
    : )