Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akent_gw

Stihl or Echo for split-boom tool?

akent
18 years ago

My piece-of-junk Ryobi (1079r split-boom) finally died last Fall, and I'm currently doing some research into a replacement unit. Does anyone have some sage advice to offer regarding Stihl vs. Echo?

Specifically, I'm looking at the Stihl KombiSystem (KM 55) and comparing costs/benefits agains the Echo PAS units (PAS-230)? Does anyone have experience with either of these solutions that they can offer, or an opinion as to which would be a better choice in the long-term?

Comments (3)

• davefr
    18 years ago

I have an Echo PAS 260 with most of the attachments. I've beat the snot out of it by using the brush cutter to dig a slit in hard ground for underground electric dog fence. I've used the hedge trimmer to cut down an acre of blackberry vines. I've also used the chain saw attachment to thin out some heavy brush.

Inspite of all this abuse, it's performed flawlessly and I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

P.S.
    I also have the rototiller attachment but never really used it. This is one attachment I probably shouldn't have purchased

• masiman
    18 years ago

I have a Stihl FS80 and have used the brushcutter as a shredder in my compost bins. Works great, only limited by the effectiveness of the brush blade. I've had the head buried under ~8" of leaves, twigs and garden waste. It was like making smoothies. Would only bind up when it got into moist composted material. I don't think you could go wrong with either a Stihl or Echo for your needs. There are a few other makes that others like, Shindaiwa and Tanaka were two. It is also recommended that dealer support play into your purchase decision. I would have gone with a Tanaka based on comments here but their support is poor in my area (and that was the dealer saying that). I can't speak to the attachments. I think if you want to use some of the attachments alot you would probably be better off with a dedicated machine (cultivator, hedge trimmer, etc).

I was in a similar situation although I did not have the multi tool Ryobi. It lasted about 2 seasons and was pretty much junk after that. I wish I had spent the extra $100 then but oh well. I almost purchased a multi tool product but in the end, for the cost and capability of the attachments, the money just did not work out for my needs. Whichever one you get you will likely be very happy with it. Good Luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Trimmer thread

• akent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys.

So, it sounds like you really can't go wrong between Stihl and Echo. While I'd really like to use my old attachments, I don't think they'll work with either of these two units. Now, I have considered looking at Poulan, since they work with the TrimmerPlus attachments, but I'm guessing that Poulan would be a step below both Stihl and Echo in the quality department.