Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosepedal_gw

Maple tree thru gh roof

rosepedal
16 years ago

We have a large maple that we want to keep. We thought we could build the hfgh (adding one to another one) around the tree. The tree will go thru a roof panel.

My question is when we go to place the panel up in the roof slot what would we use to go around the tree trunk to keep the weather out of the gh. I know trees sway. Is this possible????? Please help we really want to do this... Barb

Comments (7)

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

It's just my opinion that this is a very bad idea. It's not good for the tree either. They not only sway but branches can break and fall during storms. Trees get hit by lightning - bye bye GH. Tree trunks need fresh air and un-compacted soil over their roots. Please rethink this idea before going forward with it.

• mudhouse_gw
    16 years ago

I know GreenhouserÂs points are valid, but darn it, this whole idea just captures my imagination, so hereÂs some brainstorming for fun.

HereÂs a website talking about the question of how to avoid water running down the tree trunk where it passes through the roof of a tree house.
    Tree House By Design

One of the interesting approaches in this article is the idea of building a wall/vapor barrier around the trunk on the inside of the structure...in other words, building the greenhouse like a donut, with the tree trunk passing through a square hole in the empty space. This leaves the top open so the tree would get airflow and rain water around the trunk, and (theoretically) the greenhouse could stay somewhat dry, since the trunk would be walled in on all four sides. Also, if you build a space around the trunk, so nothing would touch it, that solves the problem of a rigid roof material touching a tree trunk that moves.

Could you build a frame out of wood around the tree trunk, and then use something like fiberglass to enclose the trunk on all four sides? I know youÂd lose floor space with this idea, and a lot depends on where the tree trunk "lands" in the footprint of your greenhouse.

This website about building tree houses says to allow 3" around the trunk where it passes through a treehouse roof, and more if the tree tends to sway a lot.
    The Tree House Guide

I know that root compression can be a problem, and some trees are very fussy about the problem (in Texas, we used to hear that Red Oaks often died during construction from builders piling heavy stuff on top of the roots.) But really, would a few human beings pitter-pattering around on the greenhouse floor make that much difference? DonÂt people walk around Maple trees all the time?

I have a wide impractical streak (fair warning) but I think itÂs an interesting idea.
    Sheri

• tom_n_6bzone
    16 years ago

What about the loss of sunlight from the tree's shadows? ~tom

• krayers
    16 years ago

In the winter months, the tree would shed its leaves & minimize the shadowing, and in the summer it might provide a needed shading that would help keep the house cooler. We built our greenhouse in the middle of a wooded area & it's done well throughout this winter. We don't have tropicals though, & did not have to keep our house as warm as others.

While probably not pratical, I love the idea of keeping the tree in the greenhouse if you can figure a way to do it!!

Kim

• jeff4225
    16 years ago

I placed my greenhouse just to the north of a golden globe willow. In the fall it drops it's leaves and the greenhouse gets full sun until mid spring. It works out just right, like a natural regenerating shade cloth. The plants still get a good dose of summer sun in the early morning and evening hours.

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I knew I could come here and get wonderful advice. Pros and cons... Thanks everybody. We are going to do it. Sherry great website. Here are some pics. They are deceiving by the angle that I took them. It will fit thru a slot in the gh roof. The huge oak we have to cut down.

I was thinking maybe contacting some garden shows and see if they would help. Wouldnt it be kool to have paul james the gardener guy help..... I dont think they ever had anything like this on their show.....

We dont use the gh in the summer, so shade would not be a issue. I would just have to water it right? This is where I need your help... I dont think me walking around on it would hurt.....At least I hope not.
    {{gwi:296625}}

{{gwi:296626}}

Barb

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

That tree will have you waking up every time the wind blows, worrying about what is happening out there vs what could happen. Cut it down and plant another one somewhere else, heck plant two if you feel guilty!