Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_gw

Can Fragrant Cloud ever be vigorous?

jerome
12 years ago

I am wanting to order this rose, but have heard it's a really puny grower. If mulched a lot and pruned lightly or not at all (I'm in Southern California, so no real winter) can this rose become robust, or is it a really weak plant?

Comments (27)

• harmonyp
    12 years ago

Mine was planted mid last year from a 2 gallon pot. I'm posting two photos. The first has Fragrant Cloud on the right, Dick Clark on the left. Both were planted same time late last spring. They get partial shade (in afternoon). I think Fragrant Cloud is holding her own, as Dick Clark is like a rose on steriods - super healthy and vigorous. Even if she doesn't end up that healthy, her blooms are worth having her for.

Fragrant Cloud on right:
    {{gwi:252139}}

One of her awesome blooms last year:
    {{gwi:252140}}

• kstrong
    12 years ago

I have an old "body bag" Fragrant Cloud from Home Depot and a VID own root version from Vintage. The old body bag version is vigorous. The own root version gives me one flower per year on a scrawny plant. I think this is a variety that needs to be budded to a more vigorous rootstock.

Take your pick as to which rootstock grows best for you, but just don't try to grow it "own root."

Kathy

• buford
    12 years ago

Mine is puny, but still pumps out many huge fantastically fragrant and beautiful blooms. This is one rose that I don't care what the bush looks like.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Try it grafted onto Fortuniana, maybe?

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I second Kathy's comment. I grew one which was one of the two gallon "pushed culls" from Home Depot back in the mid eighties. I chopped it down annually and it exploded back to four by four all summer for years. Of course, it showed classic virus symptoms and was definitely on Huey, but it was vigorous and productive. Its fragrance is sharp and pungent. Kim

• ken-n.ga.mts
    12 years ago

Try it on fortuniana root stock.

• jaspermplants
    12 years ago

Not sure what root stock my mother's Fragrant Cloud is on, but it is very healthy and easily 5-6 feet tall.

I also grew one in my garden but foolishly took it out because it was too big for the spot. I replaced it with Marie Pavie, I think, which is not very impressive in the spot. Fragrant Cloud was very healthy for me. I would grow it again in a minute if I had the space.

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does Edmund's have it on Fortuniana?

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Also...for California gardeners - if you plant it on Fortuniana, can you bury the graft so it will go own-root eventually, using the Fortuniana to "jump start" a weak grower, or do you need to plant the graft above the soil (as they do in the deep South) and thus have a shorter lived plant?

• User
    12 years ago

In a word, no. I tossed mine out after struggling with it for eight years. It never exceeded 3 feet tall.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

It's not worth the effort. Even if you got it to be a vigorous grower the blooms literally fly open in seconds. Very disappointing rose. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Dolly Parton I saw at the nursery yesterday.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    12 years ago

Fragrant Cloud is one of the few roses that did not grow well here. It was a J&P rose probably on Dr. Huey.

• lovemysheltie
    12 years ago

When I grew it own-root many years ago, it was terrible. Since then, I have stopped growing own-root HTs. I bought a grafted Fragrant Cloud just last year from a really good local nursery here in Chicago (Gethsemane Gardens) and it has done beautifully :) It's still a little on the short side but certainly looks healthy and is quite floriferous. I'm hoping it'll put on some height and girth this year.

• User
    12 years ago

well it is a bit of a toughie here in the UK but have only ever come across grafted plants and I am thinking that this is one of those varieties which really does need a cooler climate and a vigorous rootstock. My old horticulture teacher used to alternate between this and Superstar as daily buttonholes (although absolutely not to my taste, they certainly packed a punch).

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    12 years ago

Yes, get Dolly Parton instead--great fragrance and grows vigorously with long stems in our yard. Fragrant Cloud does well in our yard, but I'd rather have Dolly Parton.

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Mine is definitely not vigorous - but it does put out lots of flowers in its pot.

Migreenthumb - That's a really big FC!!! I'm impressed!!! The roses look beautiful!!

That's it! I'm going to get Dolly Parton this year!! I've been thinking about getting it for quite a few years. Zack - you have convinced me!

HarmonyP - wow!!!! That's a glorious FC!!! Stunning!!!! Wahoo!! :)

Carol

• fragrancenutter
    7 years ago

Mine FC performs very well and the flowers are absolutely stunning in cooler months of the year. Strength of fragrance is second to none. I also have Dolly Parton but I actually prefer FC. I can show you my FC Spring flush in a few weeks.

• fragrancenutter
    7 years ago

The top two are FC. The bottom one is DP.

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Oh come on!!!!! My FC never looks that good!!! Yours are velvety and gorgeous!!! Oh my!!!!

Dolly Parton looks great too...but not as velvety as FC. Which fragrance do you prefer?

Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    7 years ago

Mine dwindled away and finally died since I first posted here. Good riddance! I did get Dolly Parton and unfortunately she isn't much better. Sigh...still looking for a good orange.

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    7 years ago

Seil, I'm so sorry to hear!

Try just one more time? ;)

Though a blend, I'd like to try 'Sedona' next season. I saw it at a local nursery that is one of Weeks' customers. I loved its intense fruity, pear-like scent. The blooms were an eye-catching blend of orange and yellow with the guard petal red splashes. They looked vigorous with good basals.

Gosh. Here I am always telling myself how much I prefer crimsons and purples and soft accent shades, but I turn around and SEE what I actually have, and it's a whole lot of vivid, flame colours and yellows: Lady Emma Hamilton, Maria Stern, Helen Hayes, Sunsprite, Tropicana, Fragrant Cloud, (yes, even never-sheds-nasty-old-petals): Sunny Knockout, and finally, a Westerland!

I seem to be a sucker for our more or less modern day Pernetiana shaded roses!

I love trying different types. If they make it, great! If not, I can get something better!

My Fragrant Cloud is out of its last flush (one bud left) but is already sprouting for its next set. I think this next flush is number four.

Steven

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    7 years ago

Mine is exceptionally vigorous on its rootstock and gives flush after beautiful flush, especially during in this heat.

• fragrancenutter
    7 years ago

Carol I like FC's strong fragrance better. Especially in cooler weather. In hot weather there is too much anise note to her fragrance. DP is not very fragrant in high heat. It is nice too in cooler weather but not as strong as FC.

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Seil - that's too bad. I did notice a bit of dwindling since last year...but blamed it on our rainy summer. I'll take a closer eye on it.

Steven - fruity pear smell - very interesting. I don't think I've ever smelled pear in a rose.

Joe - sounds wonderful!!!! We had very little heat this summer. Terrible summer. Your FC sounds amazing!

Fragrancenutter - My FC has never really had a strong scent. I've smelled cloves from the blooms...but...meh. I think I'll pass on Dolly.

Thanks everyone!!

Carol

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Fragrant Cloud has broken the 5' mark in my garden with its newest growth. I'm 5'8" and these are just at to above my eye-level.

It seems to put flowers out well on candelabra ends when bend and and snap dead-heading.

Steven

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Wow!!! That's huge!!! I love the color of its flowers - so bright!

Carol