Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjsangel

Moonlight garden

tjsangel
16 years ago

Hi,

I want to brighten up a shady spot in my front yard with an all white garden. I also like the calm feeling of white. I have a dwarf goatsbeard, a white astilbe, silver lamium, and want to throw in a hosta and some white flowering bulbs. Any other suggestions? Some white annuals would be nice too. Sun suggestions are also appreciated,as are pictures. Thank you!

Jen

Comments (10)

• bullthistle
    16 years ago

You could try potentilla "Abbotswood" which is native to bogs which generally are shady but how much shade depends. It will flower throughout the summer and it is deciduous, but has a great habit. Grows up to 3'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• SandL
    16 years ago

I love moonlight gardens. I've slowly been trying to add white aspects to my garden as time goes by.
    Here are a few I've incorporated so far:

Garden phlox 'David'
    Echinacea 'White Cygnet'
    Moonlight vine (annual)
    Clematis 'Sweet Autumn'
    Hostas with ribbons of white in the foliage. 'Paul's Glory' is one.
    Balloon flower
    White flowering campanula (bellflower)

I have not been doing a lot of annuals lately, but you could try white supertunias for a large impact. I also like Sweet Alyssum to edge borders.

Heather

• ornata
    16 years ago

Lunaria annua variegata (variegated honesty)? There's a white-flowered version. It seeds itself around but comes true.
    https://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/l/lunaria%20annua_variegata_vmp.htm

For scent, white-flowered Matthiola incana (Brompton Stocks) might be nice, although they're not the most beautiful of plants.
    http://www.sarahraven.com/srechannel/static/product_catalogue/index.cfm?fuseaction=detailed_view&s_productID=SR060016

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    16 years ago

Oh, honey - you *MUST* include Datura!!!

The fragrance is fantastic, especially on a warm, muggy night, and the flowers are huge, opening at dusk. The plant itself is bushy and quite attractive with blueish-green leaves and the coolest looking seed pods - they look like some kind of Medieval torture device LOL!

Petunias are another great fragrant annual to consider including.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention Oriental lily (oh, the fragrance!!).

• tjsangel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great suggestions everyone! Would have never thought of some of these myself. Thank you!

Jen

• Nancy
    16 years ago

Other than most of those above I have white bleeding heart, variegated solomon's seal, trilliums, dutchman's breeches, snow drops, lily of the valley-doesn't spread for me but I know it does for lots of people, & at the edge of the shade where it gets more sun I have a white daylily, cerastium, peony, & iris.

• tedb_threecedarfarm
    16 years ago

I have a couple white gardens - here are some favorites

Sissinghust White lungwort, hydrangeas, Japanese anemones, ghost fern, cimicifuga (aka actea) are good for shade. 'Fragrant Blue' hosta is nice because it has white fragrant flowers and steely blue grey foliage. Annuals for shade to semi-shade include nicotiana, impatiens, begonias, alyssum and white browalia.

For sun: persicaria polymorpha, culver's root, valerian, Krinkled White peony and white roses.

That seems a good start

Ted

• bouquet_kansas
    16 years ago

tjsangel......for annuals to add......what about these:
    white nicotiana,white zinnias,alyssum,white moss rose(portulaca),bacopa,petunias,pentas.

• triple_b
    16 years ago

oh yes, definitely white nicotiana; Only the lonely. Big 4foot tall plants that smell amazing at night.
    It is getting harder to find as everyone is going for the fancy colors or the dwarf ones. The dwarves have next to no scent and the big ones may be scented but none compare to "Only the Lonely". Being an heirloom variety it is not as common, at least not around here. With the limited space nurseries are sticking with the 'new' stuff. Or perhaps because of higher density housing people don't have big yards anymore and are leaning towards dwarf varieties of everything.
    ANYWAY enough of my verbal diarrheah (sp). Only the Lonely, hands down.