Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmwbig6

John Deere Lawn Tractor Buying Advice Needed: X300 or LA series

bmwbig6
16 years ago

I considered posting this in the Lawn Mowers forum, but figured I might get better responses in the Tractor forum so here goes... (please don't laugh)

I am in the market for a small residential lawn tractor, mostly to mow grass but also for other (light?) jobs around the house. Here are my requirements:

1. Must be able to easily mow my property which consists of:

* .5 acres of Bermuda grass

* Some slopes and hills (nothing too steep, maybe a max of 30% grade in some spots).

* Very few obstacles.

I plan to directly mulch my clippings, though may end up side discharging too (doubt I'll ever do any bagging).

1. Must be able to handle occasional tow duty using pull-behind utility cart (to transport bags of mulch, fertilizer, plants, and maybe even brick pavers or landscaping stones around the property).

2. Must be able to handle seasonal use with a plug aerator and broadcast spreader.

3. Should fit within preferred budget of $2000-$3000.

I've tried to do my homework and done lots of research online. Also visited my local Deere dealer (as well as box stores). So far it seems like something from the JD LA 100-series will "get the job done" and the model that seems to strike the sweet spot with me is the LA135 Limited Edition, which is the best equipped 42" tractor in the LA line-up (V-twin, wider rear tires, better seat & steering wheel, included bumper bar and mulch cover). I don't think I need a wider deck, and actually prefer fewer blades and moving parts so the more expensive LA145, 165, and 175 don't appeal to me as much. The only things I wish the LA135 had are the larger wheels/tires (from the LA165 and 175) and electric PTO (from the LA145 and higher models), but I guess the manual PTO won't be that big a deal. The price is right for an LA135 too (just under $2k, which leaves some money leftover to spend on accessories like utility cart, plug aerator, etc.).

However, I also understand that the LA100-series tractors don't seem to have the same stellar reputation as other JD equipment, and JD enthusiasts feel that one would have to step up to the X-series to get a "real" John Deere. That has caused me to at least consider looking at the X300. If money were no object, I'd love an X304, but an X300 with 38" or 42" deck would already be stretching my budget (and leave little extra for accessories). Believe it or not, the Deere salesman didn't pressure me into an X300, and once he learned I only had 1/2 an acre to cut, said the LA series would suit me just fine and I could probably expect 8+ years of service out one as long as I kept up with routine maintenance.

So, that being said, does anybody want to weigh in to help guide my decision? Is the X300 really overkill for what I need? Or is the extra grand going to pay dividends down the road, in terms of reliability or performance? Are the LA series tractors that bad? I think an LA135 will meet my needs and I definitely appreciate the better price/value, but I wonder about the little Tuff Torq T40J transmission when towing stuff. The K46 in the X300 is not exactly the best transmission either, but should stand up better to strains from towing, etc. right?

I can live with buying the cheaper LA135 even if that meant knowing it wouldn't last as long as an X300, as I might want a new tractor in 5-10 years anyway. I could also live with stretching the budget a little for an X300, if that meant my ownership experience would be that much better over the 5-10 years I plan to own it, because of better reliability. The mistake I want to avoid is paying more for a top-of-the-line LA series model (like an LA165 or 175) that maxed out features I probably don't care about, when my money would be better spent stepping up to a basic X300.

I plan to pull the trigger in the next few days, so any advice or shared experiences are appreciated. Thanks!

Ben

Comments (22)

• tallen4392
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hi just to let you know i bought a X300 last year for my 3/4 acre lot with some slight slopes and i love it very smooth and powerful engine pulls a cart like nothing and mulches very well too you cannot go wrong with this machine good luck

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

Since you are mowing bermuda, I assume you have a pretty nice lawn. I would consider a Simplicty Regent (see attached link), the floating deck gives an excellent cut (I have a Broadmoor and really like it). When shopping around last year, this was the biggest difference I found between brands. You will have trouble finding a dealer in North Georgia, most have swithced to Snapper which are very similar (Simplicty owns Snapper, now both are owned by Briggs, at least I think that's how it is). The Snapper and Simplicity have different deck systems (at least when I looked last year). There are several south of atlanta. The only negative of the Simplicity is it's color (unles you are a Clemson Fan) and you can't ride it in the local parade on Saint Patty's Day.

Here is a link that might be useful: simplicty regent

• duke88
    16 years ago

I bought the LA120 (from JD dealer)last year very simlar to the LA135 and I use it pretty much like you plan to do. I only have about 1/3 acre (blue grass)flat and was thinking about a X300 also...but I just couldn't justify the price difference for what I needed. I did make a few changes to mine....replaced the front wheel bushings with X300 bearings , changed some of the grease zerks with angled zerks to make it easer to service also added Gator mulching blades. I'm very happy with mine and it does exactly what I need it to do.

• swimjim
    16 years ago

bmwbig, I am going through the same thing as you. As stated before, you must give Simplicity a look before you buy anything. The Regent uses a K-46 and similar if not better engines than the LA series. I really think any JD X is overkill for what you need. It may be a "real" Deere, but you'll never really experience it. My Deere dealer has convinced me that for the average homeowner, an LA series is more than adequate. When you get in to snow removal and pulling ground engaging attachments then you really need to bump up to a garden, not lawn tractor. You just need a lawn tractor I think.

• wally2q
    16 years ago

The LA is fine... as was mentioned, the X300 is more refined, but you'll never feel or see the difference....

I don't know what the T40 tranny is like, but I have the K46 in my L120 (which is the 4 year old version of the LA145), and I like it - I even plow snow with it. 450 hours so far, and no serious signs of trouble - although I did break a few parts on the tractor to-date.... but I truly abuse the machine.

Good luck - I think you're on the right track.

• bmwbig6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmm, I'm 30 miles away from the nearest Simplicity dealership. That's kind of a turn-off. Not a deal-breaker altogether, but definitely not ideal or preferred.

I looked up the specs on the LA120 mentioned by both duke88 and wally2q, and notice that it is indeed a little beefier (K46 trans, 22" tires, 48" deck, etc.) than the LA135 I'm considering. I would have to step up to a LA165 ($2300) for something comparable. That's the gray area where if I was spending that much on a top-of-the-line LA model, I might prefer coughing up a little more money for a basic X300 ($2800).

There is a used 2005 John Deere L130 with 23hp Kohler, 48" deck, 65 operating hours with maintenance records available locally. The seller is asking $1750 and may be willing to throw in a small trailer if I buy it now. Any thoughts?

• duke88
    16 years ago

bmwbig6.... The LA120 has 20X10X8 rears and has a T40 trans.

• bmwbig6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, I made a typo. wally2q mentioned L120 (not to be confused with LA120, a different model). To summarize:

L120 has K46 (according to JD's website)
    LA120 has T40J (according to JD's website).

I think the LA series is new (2007 onward?) and replaced the L series (from 2006 and earlier).

wally2q's is 4 years old, definitely making it a K46-equipped L120. Sorry for any confusion.

• bmwbig6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Should I bite? Or skip and move on? May try and schedule appointment with owner to inspect it in person later today.

• wally2q
    16 years ago

it really depends on what kind of person you are. here is a philosophical question to compare it to:

"would you buy the most expensive house in the least expensive subdivision, or would you buy the least expensive house in the most expensive subdivision?"

assuming that $$ is not the biggest driver in the decision.... if you are the kind of person who likes higher quality, even though you don't really need it, then spend a bit more and get the X300. If you are the kind of person who buys on the bottom line of the acceptability range, and then works the item hard - fully well knowing and accepting that it may not last as long - but it's OK because you saved $$ in the process, then go look at the L130.

There is more to the quality equation between those two machines, than the tranny. There is frame strength, bushings vs. bearings, seat comfort, smoothness of the engine, adjustability of steering bias, etc... so consider all that too.

In my case, although I like quality, my decision was driven by the concept of "jollies"... when I bought the cheapest line-up Deere, I decided that I wanted to spend less, and take the saved money and put it towards other things that give me jollies. For some people, their tractor gives them 90% of all the jollies they want in life (their significant others making up the remaining 10% - LOL) - so the decision is easy. I get only 10-20% of my jollies from my tractor (I have many other hobbies that I like equally well), and thus I could not justify the so-called elevated "front end load" expense of a higher end tractor price. Instead, I opted for the balanced approach (reduced front-end-load, with the added annual-maintenance-fee).

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

Good points. First let me say that my experience is limited, but.... I have two places to mow. One with bermuda, one with fescue. Bermuda is much more "sensitive" to the level of the deck, a little dip here and there shows up much worse on bermuda (ones that would not even be noticable with fescue). I had stopped using my previous rider on the bermuda, but would reconsider with my newer simplicity. A last point, for me at least, if I'm going be doing a lot of "haulin" and generally messing around. I take the deck off. Otherwise, I forget about it and occasionally bang it hard on something (like a stump or one bad one in particular is a goverment survey stob). The simplicity deck comes off very easy, as advertised. Much easier than my old murray. These are good reasons to consider the simplicty, although 30 miles is a long way. Since you're in georgia, next time you go to turner field (braves stadium), glance out behind the right field bull pen, you'll probably see a couple of simplictys or MF's under the stadium. Ed Mangun is the field manager for the Braves and that's what he uses.

• bmwbig6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmm, I have not seen the Regents in person, but the 2-blade 44" 20hp version (Kohler) seems like it might be a good match. The rear full-width rollers looks like a great concept, but I wonder how effective it will be. I have Bermuda, but it's not smooth like a baseball field, and is actually pretty lumpy (builder sod job).

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

That type of lawn is where the simplicity deck will shine. The deck "drags" along on the rollers which keeps the deck level while the tractor pitches and dips from the bumps. See the attached link on a review I did on my Broadmoor last year. I was going to get the Regent, but with last years rebate, I got the Broadmoor for a little more. The full width rollers do have a couple of negatives, when backing you have to be a little careful not to snag the deck on things like sidewalks and driveways and the rollers have to replaced every few years or so (I don't have enough time on mine to give advice on how often this is done). Like it says in the review, I gave carefull consideration to equivalent Cub and Deeres. I am very happy with the Broadmoor, but I think I would have been happy with any of these machines.

Here is a link that might be useful: broadmoor review on this forum

• djlarson77
    15 years ago

bmwbig6 - I am now in a similar situation as you were in back in March. What did you ultimately decide?

• bmwbig6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found a leftover new 2007 X304 with the higher-rated K58 transmission earlier this year and pulled the trigger. Been very happy ever since.

• bruno1067
    15 years ago

If you are considering between a $2300 LA Series or a $2800 X300, I say spend the extra $500. My dad always taught me, you really do get what you pay for and quality may cost a nickel more but will save you $$ in the long run. 3 months from now you will not miss the extra money you spend now on the X300 but you will be happy you did. Look for a used premium mower if you absolutely cannot afford the extra money and do not get caught up on Green and Yellow paint to just purchase an overpriced BIG BOX mower. I fell into that trap and ended up returning 2 LA 130 mowers before figuring out that upgrading to a x300 was not the much money when financing for 1 year same as cash. You are going to be using this equipment for 8+ years, it may as well be something you feel good about owning. If it makes you feel better knowing that you saved money, go used for a better piece of equipment.

• garydewater
    15 years ago

I have a chance to buy a John Deere X300 for $1,700.
    My question is it has 135 hours and I'm concerned
    that might be to many hours?
    I only have a acre and a quarter of yard.
    Thanks, Gary

• tuco
    15 years ago

garydewater: That's about 1/2 the price as a new one and 135 hours is about 3 years of average homeowner use (about 40 - 50 hours/year). If it is in good condition and not been abused it sounds like a pretty good deal. You did not mention what year model it is.

I have an acre and 1/4 myself and usually rack up about 40 - 50 hours/year depending on what projects I'm working on. I mow, dethatch, aerate, overseed, pull a cart loaded with rocks, firewood, etc... and mulch my leaves in the fall pulling a lawn sweeper to collect them.

You can usually save a bunch of $$$ buying a good used quality tractor. Just make sure it has been well taken care of by the previous owner. If it looks rough it probably is rough.

An engine coated in oil, grass clippings, etc..., faded paint, cracked seat and weathered plastic components typically indicate that it was left outside in the elements and not well cared for.

Good luck!

• jcmcop
    15 years ago

Gary, I'm also in the market for an X300/X304. I would gladly pay that price for an X300 with 135 hours on it. I wouldn't doubt that Kawasaki engine could last 2000 hours.

As long as it is in good condition, clean, etc.....I would be all over it.

• stevelanders
    15 years ago

I have similar concerns.
    Have about 3/4 acre of sloping grass land with Florida St. Augustine or Centipede Grass. Front of property is approx. 15' higher then the back
    Considering a JD. LA135 when the Lowe's salesman tried to talk me into a Husqvarna YTH20K46.
    Major differences between the two seem to be:
    JD. has a V twin vs Husq. single. Like the idea of a V Twin.
    Husq is $400.00 cheaper.
    JD. dosen't require blade change for mulching?
    Kind of have too much information and resulting confusion.
    Would appreciate some opinions.
    Thanks.
    Steve

• wrager
    15 years ago

I wouldn't consider anything with a single cylinder these days. I have a '67 Bolens 1050 with a single 16 hp B/S engine. It is loud and harsh. I'm sure they're better today, but can't be as smooth as my twin Kawi.

• zoulas
    15 years ago

The LA is JD venture into consumer stuff. They are not bad but the X is a whole other level. And each X (300/500/700) is exponentially better than the previous.