Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
castorcrap

reuse soapy shower water for a greenhouse?

castorcrap
16 years ago

hello,

Does anyone know if it is safe to use soapy shower water for an enclosed structure such as a conservatory or greenhouse? Will soap deposits build up? Is there a certain type of soap that is okay to use?

thank you

Comments (5)

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

Just look at what the shower curtain or shower walls look like after a week. Would you want that soapy scum all over your GH?

• birdwidow
    16 years ago

The only soap I have yet found as recomended safe for polycarb is Joy, and Joy in hot water, followed by a good hot water rinse will remove all of the dirt from any hard surface, leaving it sparkling clean and haze free.

If your GH is glass, then of course, you are free to use whatever takes your fancy, but I agree with greenhouser: why put bathwater scum on your GH?

Bathwater has more than soap in it. Presuming one scrubs down in the bath or shower, the used water also contains body oils and skin cells.

It's great for plants though, especially if sprayed on leaves.

• castorcrap
    Original Author
    16 years ago

IM sorry, what I meant to ask was would it be okay to use the water on potted plants or plants in beds within the greenhouse? Im thinking of collecting the water in a resevoir within the greenhouse and dipping a watering pail into it.
    thanks

• birdwidow
    16 years ago

Ah. Sorry I misunderstood you castor.

Many people use grey water on plants with great success, but I'd be careful about using too much of it on potted ones, because the scum will eventually coat the surface of the soil and choke off air to the roots, especially if they are in plastic or glazed pots.

But reusing grey water, meaning the water from showers, sinks, ect. for lawns and trees is one of the better ideas for water conservation and the regeneration of deep water tables, especially when drains are connected to sewers.

• clavero
    16 years ago

You might want to take a minute and think about WHY you want to use gray water in a gh. My sense is that it has a very appropriate use outside on well established vegetation such a trees and shrubs where the soap residue (and whatever else happens to get down the drain!) is buffered by large soil area and exposure to the elements (ie. flushing during the winter rains)

I think of the plants in the gh, either my orchids or my wifes starts, as too precious to expose to graywater....I mean why risk the health of those plants? Why not re-organize your water use to direct the gray water to less sensitive plants and use the "clean" water you would have used for the shrubs on your gh plants.