Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardennatlanta

General Gallieni

gardennatlanta
14 years ago

I went to RU today, saw General Galleini and had to bring him home. I love the color shading and shape of the bloom. HMF says he has a tea fragrance but I couldn't detect any. Maybe it's because he was in the greenhouse or because he's still young.

Now that he's already here, what do you think of him? How big of a spot should I plan? Anything important I should know? Oh yes, HMF says "red". He looks more dark pink and the pictures don't seem all that "red". Is this just an 1899 red?

Here's a picture.

{{gwi:255640}}

Comments (18)

• thonotorose
    14 years ago

Mine is still small. The first bloom this year is exquisite, a deep and unusual pink. The blooms were very "bricky" last summer and the form was also unusual.

There is no scent to my nose, but I hold out hope that it will improve. I am very happy to have the stronger color in my garden.

• paparoseman
    14 years ago

If you have or have seen an adult Duchess de Brabant plan on that much room. The General is one of those tea roses which react to sunlight like a china rose in that ultraviolet energy causes the petals to darken. It will open light pink and with a yellow center but as the sun strikes it the petals darken until they are a nice brick red. The General has a nice scent most of the time while at others the scent is somewhat faint. He is one of the best repeating teas and very disease resistant.

Lance

• sherryocala
    14 years ago

I got mine from RU last May, and he is still very tiny but he does have a couple of new canes. He had only a few flowers last year, but they were pretty red - 2010 red :)) - with some yellow and shaped funny.

Sherry

• jerijen
    14 years ago

He is one of the best repeating teas and very disease resistant. Lance

*** Just like his "daughter," 'Rosette Delizy.'
    In my coastal climate, you just can't beat Nabonnand roses for disease-resistance and constant bloom.

Jeri

• organic_tosca
    14 years ago

If you have access to the Australian Tea rose book ("Tea Roses: Old Roses for Warm Gardens" - I found it at our library), they have quite a lot of info about 'General Gallieni', including descriptions of the color - or colors - apparently the blooms will change through a whole range of colors. The photos of this rose show the colors beautifully. The pages tell also about the various shapes the rose can bloom in. It looks and sounds like a really wonderful rose!

Laura

• thonotorose
    14 years ago

The bloom on mine has turned quite red and with the bricky cast. It is truly a lovely rose and now I hear that it is highly disease resistant and prolific. Life is good....

• harborrose_pnw
    14 years ago

General Gallieni bloomed well in north Alabama. This is a pic from last April at 3 years. The blooms open with a pink and cream heart and darken to a brick red. At petal drop they were usually a very dark blood red color. I never detected a very strong smell, but it does have a fragrance. I hope you enjoy yours - it never suffered from any blackspot problems either.

April 09
    {{gwi:255641}}

It is a continuous bloomer; this is from last December.

{{gwi:255642}}

• lagomorphmom
    14 years ago

Harborrose, how tall and wide was it at what age when you moved?

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

"......it never suffered from blackspot problems either..."

Even making allowances for regional differences, that statement always makes me look twice! Always a huge bonus for me!

Lynn

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Before she left her Southern Garden, Harborose was kind enough to send me a Gen. Gallieni to replace the one we lost a few years back.
    I'm happy to say that it is growing well here, and it about ready for the ground.
    Those Nabonnand roses are sure disease free for us in SoCal.

(But OH! You should see how ARS Rose Judges hate 'em!)

Jeri

• twotzus
    14 years ago

General Gallieni is one of my favorite roses! Here in coastal San Diego it is pretty much in continous bloom even in December. And it isn't afflicted with the ever present powdery mildew that I am constantly battling. I love the color which for me, is very similar to Monsier Tillier, another rose that I love just slightly more than the General only because I prefer it's flower form more.

• harborrose_pnw
    14 years ago

When we left Alabama GG was about 4 feet wide and about as tall. I wasn't sure, but I expected it to be about 6x6, prob about the size of DdB, as Lance mentioned. Someone on another thread awhile ago made the comment it grows horizontally before it grows vertically, and that was the case with mine, I think. It is going into its fourth year this spring.

Lynn, it never did have any bs problems, but I am always mindful of Olga's warnings that many of hers were good for three years or so and then developed problems after that. So, it was bs free for me, but what might have happened after that is a story for which I have no ending.

It has going for it vigor, disease resistance, and it's a great bloomer. But it is not a standard bloom form; very odd, but endearing, at least to me. Not strongly fragrant.

Jeri, I do agree that GG's blooms are quite out of the ordinary - it's not just another pretty ARS face!

I'm glad your GG is doing well - the more of that rose in this world, the better, I think!!

• thonotorose
    14 years ago

One of the reasons I bought General Gallieni is the picture at the Country Side Roses site. It is a very good likeness of my young first bloom.

Click on "catalog" --> Teas --> scroll down to click on GG.

Here is a link that might be useful: Countryside Roses

• harborrose_pnw
    14 years ago

thonotorose, that is a truly beautiful picture, but it doesn't always look like this. Its bloom form varies a lot, as do its colors.

I actually went through all of my pics trying to find one that might be more visually appealing than what I posted, but I am a lousy photographer, as I said. I posted the first pic to show its immense bloom during its peak flush and the last pic, even though not particularly beautiful, to show that it blooms continuously.

It wasn't until the temps dropped to the mid teens for an extended time did it even lose its leaves; like many of the teas it is usually evergreen through the whole winter - but it was a very cold winter. A more complete gamut of faces is shown on HMF...

Here is a link that might be useful: more GG faces

• gardennatlanta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the good information about the general. Now, I'm just not sure where to put him. From the coloring of the bloom on the plant I got, I was expecting more of a Clementina Carboneri type coloring not the deep red that's shown in the picture harborrose posted. I don't have any reds (except I'm trying Archduke Charles) and not sure where one will fit.

Does the red come out as the bloom ages like Archduke Charles or are some blooms just more red than others?

• paparoseman
    14 years ago

The more overcast the skies are during a flush the more towards pink and light red the blooms are. Both the General and Archduke Charles can be quite dark in full strength sun.

Prior to being killed by my overzealous wife the General was next to Madame Joseph Schwartz.

Lance

• gardennatlanta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

so, if I can find a spot that gets morning sun but some shade in the hottest part of the day, these two might be a little less dark red?

• jerijen
    14 years ago

One thing -- I've found that the red of Gen. Gallieni is a different red from the red of Archduke Charles.
    It's closer to what is sometimes called carmine:
    (Wikipedia) "also called Crimson Lake, Cochineal, Natural Red 4, C.I. 75470, or E120, is a pigment of a bright red color obtained from the carminic acid produced by some scale insects, such as the cochineal and the Polish cochineal, and is used as a general term for a particularly deep red color of the same name."

It's rare, but I've seen the outermost petals on a badly aged bloom reach a stage of rusty darkness even EYE find unattractive. It might be peculiar to my conditions, but anyhow, that's what deadheading's for. :-)

Jeri

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor