Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pluckymama_gw

Which riding tractor mower should we get?

pluckymama
16 years ago

We just moved from suburbia with 1/3 acre to 5 acres in which 2 1/2 are woods and the other 2 1/2 are lawn with lots of trees to go around. Since this is our first experience with looking at riding tractor mowers, I have been reading the forum and learning a lot! So, which tractor can we get for between 3-4K, that will be easy for me and my teenage boys to use, not just my husband. We have liked what we've read about the JD 304 and 320. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (28)

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

TEENAGE BOYS..... I'd get something that is easy to repair, and maybe block youtube from your computers. I like the simplicity products, the website has the broadmoor now at something like $4600 which MUST have considerable wiggle room since they were $3500 last year (incoluding rebate). If you have a dealer nearby I would look at them (the Broadmoor is comparable to the 320).

• teeracter
    16 years ago

(Stolen from another post!)

1. Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and buy at least one size larger.

2. NEVER buy a mower from ANYPLACE that will not let you test drive it or at least a similar model. Ergonomics are just as important as performance and capability.
    (Vitally important!)

3. DO NOT base your purchase on price or brand name alone! Do proper research and find all of the available models that fit your criteria and haggle, save, or trade to get the right equipment for the job. Do not compromise!

If you follow these three tips you will end up a happy camper with just the right unit for the job. If you disregard this advice your gonna end up with One or the other of the following problems:

A. Buyers remorse. Stuck with a piece of junk or simply a unit inadequate for the task at hand.

Or..

B. A teed off spouse when you start shopping for another tractor just 3 - 6 months down the road because you didn't buy the right unit in the first place.

Now go forth and shop and try and have fun!

• swimjim
    16 years ago

I'd buy 2 tractors. One for the teenagers and one for the grownups. Sounds crazy, but it may save you some headaches. There is nothing BAD in any tractor in that price range. They are all equipped very well and built to last. You won't find junk once you are spending in that price range. Simplicty and JD are both great tractors, but you may like the striping on the Simp deck. If was in your shoes I would pick a Simplicity Broadmoor or a JD X320. They are both tough machines and will last a long time with proper maintenance.

If you are just mowing a basically flat yard, consider a ZTR (zero turn) mower. They wouldn't exactly be 'easy' to use, but once you get the hang of it they do a great job. You mentioned you had many trees. A ZTR will be very good getting around the trees. Tractors have more versatility and may be a safer choice.

Ultimately, it may come down to who gives you the best vibes at the dealership and who can give you the best deal. Simplicty is also sold under different labels such as Snapper and Agco. I love both JD and Simp. Post up some more specific questions and maybe we can help out more. Will you be doing any tilling? Snow removal? Grating? Just mowing and pulling a cart around? You may not even need to spend that much if you are just mowing.

• lildeere
    16 years ago

Ever thought about strapping a bomb to your back....Good ole LP
    Anyone tried one of these???
    {{gwi:319632}}

• gator_rider2
    16 years ago

Dixie Chopper had them a long time check site out should be clean burnning so inside engine be clean.

• pluckymama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Definitely know we want a regular steering wheel and not the handles of a ZTR, although a tight turning radius will be necessary to get around the trees. We don't really have the storage room for 2 tractors, but it's great to have enough people to share the load of mowing. We have a great snow blower with which we cleared the snow off during a record breaking snow year, so we won't need a plow. I think it will be for mowing and pulling a cart around. We'd like something powerful enough that we can get the job done in about an hour and not spend all day out there. Is that possible on 2 1/2 acres? We will check out the Simplicity Broadmoor and JD 320 and anything else you experienced tractor owners send our way!

• pluckymama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, today, DH and I went and looked and test drove the Simplicity Broadmoor. We will be looking at and driving the JD X320 later in the week. Dealer recommended the turbo bagger for the Broadmoor. Anyone with experience want to comment on the bagger. Also, any other recommendations of lawn tractors we should be looking at?

• aesanders
    16 years ago

The turbo baggers are very powerful. Almost like lawn vacums. However, you may find that bagging is not necesary with the broadmore though. I use to bag with my old Yardman as it owuld leave clumps all over the yard. When I upgraded to the Simplcity Conquest, I didn't have to bad anymore. it evenly placed the clipping out the discharge chute. Almost like a mlching machine. No more bagging and no more clumps. If the lawn was extra long, I might have to mow over certain area's twice, but still spread the grass well. Cuts down on the amount of fertilizer as well.

• swimjim
    16 years ago

You will be mowing forever if you try to bag 2.5 acres of grass just so you know. You said you wanted it done in an hour and there is no way you can do that if you bag. I would buy the mulch kit for your deck and just drive. You are looking at the tip top lawn tractors out there and I really can't think of anything else to look at that fairly stacks up to those two. A tractor that has similar specifications to the Broadmoor and the X300's series is the Husqvarna 2346XLS. It sells at $2700. You won't find this model in Lowes, you have to go to a Husqy dealer. Other than that one tractor, I think you are looking at the 2 correct models in the Broadmoor and X300's. Nothing cuts grass better than a Simplicity IMO. Buy a Cyclone Rake, forget that bagger with a blower, and you will knock out leaf pickup in the fall.

• steve2ski
    16 years ago

You can get that 2.5 acre yard mowed with bagging in a hour, but not for your budget of 3-4k.
    double that as min starting point that and not with a home owner tractor lawn mower. You are talking a commercial cutter, several different styles available, not just ZTR's although they are on the low end of the cost scale of these cutters.

• varmint_304
    16 years ago

Lemme make sure I've got the big picture before I go recommending anything.

1. You're working in the $3-4K range.
    2. You want something that has a tight turn radius to work around trees.
    3. You will not be plowing.
    4. You will be towing a cart.
    5. You are concerned about speed.
    6. You want something easy to operate.

Are you concerned about the quality of the cut? (Is this lawn supposed to be carpet smooth?)

When comparing the X304 and the X320, here are a few considerations:

The 2008 X304 has a less capable transmission. Still probably fine for your uses, but not as good as the one in the X320.

The X320 has a larger deck (48" vs 42"). That will make cutting a little quicker. However, JD recommends the (pricey) turbo-bagger system with the larger deck if you want to collect your clippings.

The X304 has all-wheel steer, which is great for handling (and fun). The X320 does not. When making tight turns in a non-AWS tractor, the inside rear tire "scrubs" the ground. (Like giving the lawn a noogie.) You can move up to the X324, but that's $500 over your budget.

• lwalper
    16 years ago

I've worn out a couple of Snapper rear engine riders in similar terrain, each with over 600 hours on them. Get the 11.5 hp 30" deck. The price is right, maintenance is simple or non-existant, and so what if it takes a few minutes longer to cut the grass. You need to keep those teenagers off the street anyhow.

• pluckymama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We are learning so much from all of you! Getting the cylone rake over the turbo bagger is one great suggestion. We will also check out the JD X324 as the quality of the cut is important. So the Simplicity Broadmoor is looking real good and the AWS of the JD X324 needs to be considered.

• messmaker
    16 years ago

Five acres is a lot to mow when it is wide open. You said you have a lot of trees. I know it is not your first choice but I think a zero turn is what you need. They are better around trees and very fast. The better ones give a great cut so bagging may not be nacessary. you can get several in your price range but the commercial grade(will take the boys punisment) start at about $5000. Toro, Scag,Hustler,X-mark,JD,Dixie Chopper and Grasshopper are some good ones.

• pluckymama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have 5 acres, but only 2 1/2 of it is mowable, the rest is thick woods. The front yard has more trees than the back, and I'm really concerned about myself and the boys getting the hand of no steering wheel with a ZTR. I'm hoping that a tight turning radius will suffice to get around the trees. But it's not a wide open 2 1/2 acres, there are some definite landscaping and tree obstacles. We are trying to stay around 4K so that we can buy the other things we need for this new adventure in having such a nice big lot. This is so different from the 1/3 acre we handmowed! Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.

• nor_easter
    16 years ago

Just an opinion, but I would move toward the Simplicity if you are avoiding the ZTR's. They are exceptional mowers and deliver an increadible cut. Also, you will benefit more from not bagging the entire 2.5 acres; it will reduce both fertilizer and water consumption as well as make the mowing go much faster. If you are getting clumps you should change your mowning habbits; mow more frequently ie only remove 1/3 of the total height or stop mowing when the lawn is wet. Sometimes theses conditions are unavoidable so if you have heavy grass discharge in some areas simply remow the clumps. If you are thinking of bagging because of fall leaves depending on the number of trees that you have you may consider a trailer vacuum system instead (http://www.agri-fab.com/type/vacs.aspx or http://www.cyclonerake.com for example). Trust me, we only have 1 acre and with three sugar maples and three oaks we have all but given up on trying to use a regular bagging system (6.5bshl capacity) because you have to empty it too frequently.

• windcatcher
    16 years ago

I'd have to vote for the Simplicity for several reasons: They do have a shorter turning radius. They do have a tough tranny. The cut is superb. Stick a set of gator blades on it, and you can pretty much forget the clumps and bagging. I just changed mine over to gator blades, and I just could not believe the difference. I already had a good cut, but now it is out of this world good. Add striping that Simplicity is noted for, and you have a professional looking job that you and your family did for yourselves. Something that you will walk out, admire, walk away from, and still turn around and look some more.

• varmint_304
    16 years ago

Have any of you Simplicity owners noted lawn 'noogies' when making tight turns?

When I was shopping, I specifically looked at the Simplicities because their turning radii was on par with the JD AWS tractors. However, I drove it on a damp morning and when taking a turn at full lock, the inside rear wheel twisted in the soft soil and scrubbed up the grass quite a bit. I ended up going with the JD X304 in part because of that observation. I've also mentioned it to others when recommending specific tractors.

Having written all that, I've yet to see a Simp owner complain about these lawn noogies. Is what I witnessed an aberration resulting from the terrain?

• ikenlob
    16 years ago

Just a thought, but if time is important I have to advise you think about ZTRs one last time. I use to have 2.5 acres and it would take me 4 - 6 hours to mow depending on many factors like ground moisture and such. The reason it was always at least four hours was because of weird angles on my property and trees. This caused me to turn a lot more or back up frequently.

I used to LOVE mowing that lot. It was my private time. Then one year I was working a lot and got behind on the first cut. Things at work were not going to change soon, so I asked my neighbor with a ZTR SKAG to do it. He came over when I happenned to be home for an hour and he was at my door 40 minutes later. I was amazed! From that point on I hated mowing my yard unless I absolutely needed some time to think about something.

AS for the kids, his boys ran the Skag without incidence after they were 12 or so. All kids are different, but I don't think it would take more than an afternoon to get the hang of it.

For me, the only question is the utility of ZTR. If you want a utility tractor. Something to have handy for something other than mowing, then ZTR will not work. If you want mowing to be painless as possible, then there is no other option. (All this is provided you have an even or gentle sloping lawn.)

I looked hard at Snapper tractors recently and was impressed. I believe they are same brand and very similar to Simplicity. Just couldn't afford the one I wanted this year. Good call for a utility tractor.

• eal51
    16 years ago

I definitely recommend the Simplicity line of tractors. I have an 05 Simplicity Conquest, the next one up in Simplicity's line. The cut is superb as is the grass dispersal. Absolutely no problems with the tractor at all. Handles very well and the short turning radius is a plus.

As far as the "noogies" go, the key to avoiding them is to slow down on your turns. Once I learned that little trick, I didn't have the "noogie" problem anymore. And I have plenty of soft spots after it rains.

I will also say you can't go wrong with a JD 300 series. They are excellent tractors too.

Enjoy the journey.

eal51 in western CT

• larso1
    16 years ago

There is a steering wheel operated ZTR out there, called the Gizmow. Check the link below. Looks like a nice unit but probably pricey and I don't think there is much of a dealer network....could be wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Gizmow Formula

• sykadelich
    16 years ago

Hey! New here.. but had to post.. Read your msg & lots of the posts.. very informative. I just had to comment... we have similar as u.. acres with about 2 we mow (after minus pond etc). Hubby is gone alot & we needed reliable & EASY since I'll be doing most of mowing. Plus JD has an excellent rep here for service/etc & this came w/4 yr warranty (dont know what others have)which didnt decide it but is nice.

We just got the JD 304... I'm in LOVE!! It is awesome! I was scared at first but.. WOW sooo easy to use! I still cant get over the '4-wheel turn'.. Im just super impressed! Hubby wanted a zero-turn but I was .. scared of them lol! I researched -found the 304 being rated top.. I thought kinda what we both wanted (tight turn w/steering wheel). Even though it's like a reg mower, that thing turns SHARP (never driven zeroturn but.. cant imagine a major diff unless u wanna .. spin in place lol!) I normally wont even mow ditches or hills but.. will now! It's great.. actually found it.. far exceeding our expectations! DEFINITELY worth paying a few hundred extra for!

I keep thinkin.. hmm.. Im female.. dont think Im supposed to 'be in LUV' w/a Mower but.. XOXOX!! Heck, I felt guilty thinkin.. I shouldnt be having so much fun 'working' u know lol!!

As far as the teens, they'd have np... my 14 yr old daughter is gonna learn.. she's responsible & I'd be very comfortable w/her using this.. sure most have em but great safety features & superb ease of use! Trust me - if I could learn in mins...anyone could!

I know everyone is different w/diff opinions but.. just had to let you know.. Our JD 304 ROCKS!! Neighbors drove it.. (they have JD.. older think 345.. they wanna trade it in now hehe!).

Well, good luck with all! I know for us it was a big decision & purchase with much research beforehand. My nerves/doubts were quickly put to rest by JD 304.. Heck just talking about it makes me wanna go mow :( sigh... LOL!!

Let me/ev1 know what yall decide!! Good Luck Again!!

PS No I dont work for JD or get commission LOL!! ; )

• larso1
    16 years ago

Yes, but sykadelich,....do you like the mower?

(ROTFLOL!)

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

with teens, it's not a question of skill level, it's a question of "HOT DAMN what can we do with this thing?"!!! Check the link below to ut-tube. There are several hundred clips of teens doing some pretty fun stuff on their parents tractors, the link is one of the more tame ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: U tube link to tractor fun

• sykadelich
    16 years ago

Yes, but sykadelich,....do you like the mower?
    (ROTFLOL!)

larso1

Well... kinda LOLOL!! jeez & I didnt even mention the 'GREEN' part.. I LOVE GREEN!! WOW that would've been 2 more lengthy paragraphs *wink*!!

With me - guess it's easy to tell female post from a man's eh hehe - Thanks for the laugh!!

• pluckymama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, everyone, I cannot thank you enough for all of your help! And as the grass is finally growing in New Hampshire, even though we still have a pile of snow in our backyard, DH told me "Enough research, it's time to make a decision." Just like a man! So, today we ordered the Simplicity Broadmoor with the mulching attachment for a great price of $3599 + $135. No tax in NH :) It will be delivered on Monday, 4/28. And I will let you know how it does. All of you shared such great advice and we learned so much from you. We will use the tractor mostly as a mower, but also light hauling and we plan to get that Cyclone Rake as we have tons of leaves in the fall. The gardenweb forums are such a great way to learn and meet some very wonderful people. After reading Sykadelich's post, I'm excited about riding my new mower and hope we like the Simplicity as much as she luvs her JD. More later....

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

Congratulations. Great price too considerting the suggested list posted on the SImplicity web site. I'm sure others have gotten tired of me posting the following link, but since you got the Broadmoor, here it is one more time. See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Broadmoor review link

• sykadelich
    16 years ago

pluckymama:
    WooHoo for U!! Glad it's 'on it's way'!! I am truly excited for yall & hope/are sure you'll absolutely 'luv' it!!

Let us know when it arrives & you've gone on a joyride..oops I mean.. uhm.. used it to MOW/work *wink*!!

Sponsored