Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_et

Soil test, need help understanding results

nick-et
10 years ago

Hi,

New here and want to see if someone can help me with my soil test results I got after I seeded Bermuda. I have two different results for two property's where I seeded. I will attach one picture here and do a separate message for the 2nd property. Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• toxcrusadr
    10 years ago

This looks to have been limed if it was originally the same soil as your other place: pH is already 7 and Ca is very high. The amendment recommendations are consistent with that - no lime.

I would make the same comment about organic matter as I did on the other one.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

How much organic matter is in that soil?
    The pH is close to what most all plants, 6.2 to 6.8, like to grow in, so nothing needs to be done for that, but the Phosphorus (P) and Potash (K) are low and more then likely adequate amounts of organic matter can change that.

• nick-et
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the responses. I dint get a organic matter test, should I go back and get one done? What I dint understand was which fertilizer to use, is it 13-13-13 now and in September and 46-0-0 every 8 weeks after applying the 13-13-13. What about using organic fertilizers since I have a local company that makes them in these types 3-2-3, 6-2-6, 10-2-3? Are any of these recommended or should I stick with regular chemical fertilizers?

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

One important thing to remember with fertilizers is that the ratio between the three numbers is more important than how big the numbers are. So 5-5-5 is basically the same as 10-10-10, you would have to use twice as much to get the same amount of each nutrient. So, you could use 3-2-3 as a pretty good substitute for 13-13-13, you'd just have to use about 4 times as much.

Unless the soil is already very dark and rich with organic matter, it never hurts to add more. If you've already seeded a lawn, it's too late for that this season. You can do two things: use a mulching mower (or just let your clippings fly out the side chute) so they return to the soil; and you can top dress with 1/2" of fine compost in early spring. The compost is a great nutrient boost and will meet some of your fertilizing needs.

I find Bermuda is so vigorous it's hard to kill, so I wonder if you need as much fertilizer as they are recommending. The first year, maybe, to get it established.

• nick-et
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Went out today and had an organic matter analysis done and here are the results. Total N%: 0.072 Total C%:1.009 C/N Ratio: 14.04 %Organic Matter: 2.018. I actually own the Snapper Ninja Mulching mower with grass catcher. I really appreciate all the great help I've been receiving on this forum, sorry if I ask too many questions.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

No problem at all. 2% OM is not horrible, but not great. Usually for gardens, 5+% is recommended. The mulching mower will help over time.