Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdameron_gw

Privacy/Interest along fence ideas

mdameron
11 years ago

I live in Fort Worth and am wanting to add some privacy and something nice to look at for the back yard. We are on a budget so we will be buying young plants and just letting them grow.

My wife wants to have just a row of skyrocket-type junipers or cypress trees, but I think that is because she doesn't know of more options. I would prefer some variety and that's why I'm making this post.

The best picture I could find of our back yard is attached. The picture is of the rear right corner. It is a small suburban lot. The fence I want to plant along is the left, back, fence. It is 60' long and runs north and south. We have dogs. That dog trail is still there but the yard is in much better condition. It is still dirt along the fence, though (that is due to the fence being moved).

There is a young Bradford pear where the star is on the picture. This past year I put in several red yuccas, lantana, Indian Hawthorn, and vines along the fence. Worst idea of my life; the dogs trampled half of them. It's as if I did nothing at all.

I want to go with trees and large shrubs. The dogs won't trample those. Because we have dogs, I would like to try to not use up a ton of yard space. I'm willing to lose 6-8' along the fence, put preferably not much more. Is it possible to have a "cottage garden" or mixed privacy screen along 60' of fence while not being very "deep"? We're not looking for complete privacy, as our budget won't allow it. But as you can see, something nice would be a welcome change.

I've done some research on plants that get 6'+ tall and 8' or less width and I have this short list of plants I think look nice and apparently are suitable for our climate:

crape myrtle
Texas redbud
Yaupon
Rose of Sharon
red tip photinia
Various Junipers/Cypress

But I don't know if I just buy one or two of each and plant along the fence...? Might look stupid? Also, since the fence is north/south, until the plants are taller, they'll get sun from noon till about 6:30 pm. Some of them not shaded by the house will get 8 hours. Not really ideal sun but the plants that the dogs didn't destroy did just fine.

Thanks!

Comments (10)