Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coatfetish2

Ideas for small tree/large shrub?

coatfetish2
12 years ago

Hi there,

I am looking for ideas for a small tree or large shrub, to go in a mobile home lot. The lot is 40' x 120', and I will be planting in in area that gets morning sun from the south-east, and is in the shade of the mobile home by 4 or 5pm in the summer. The point is to give me a bit of privacy from my neighbor, and to have something pretty seen from the windows (the bottom of the windows are about 5 - 6' above ground level). I prefer something that takes pruning well, so I can open up the lower area of the plant (if a shrub = not grazing the ground, and if a tree, something I can walk under). Drought resistance when established is a big plus. Multiple season interest is a HUGE plus. Right now I have two Profusion crabapples and a larger viburnum on the opposite side of my mobile home, lilacs in the back, and various spireas and hydrangeas in spots. I'm looking for something different, not wider/taller than 20' x 25', unless it can take pruning to keep in within that size.

I had thought about a kousa dogwood, but they seem intolerant to drought? I may just go with another viburnum since I love them so, but they can look ratty after the spring - this will be seen by the main road in the park I live in, and the park owner is a stickler for neatness! I've also thought about a pussy willow (they were my late mother's favorite) but I've read they are water hogs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am located in z6, at about 2500 ft elevation in the Virginia Appalachians.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Eastern Redbud sounds perfect here. There are many cultivars that should do well in your spot if the species is too boring for you.

John

• coatfetish2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, but that's (the species, anyhow) is a bit too large for the space. It's also so similar in looks when blooming to the crabapples, and I'm hoping for a totally different look. They are such a beautiful tree, though. I never saw redbuds until I moved to Virginia from Connecticut, they are everywhere here! The most beautiful sight is when you drive down roads lined with white dogwoods and redbuds, blooming at the same time...

• coatfetish2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does anyone here have experience with the Korean Maple? It's one I've toyed with for a few years - again, the size may nix it...

• coatfetish2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I did some measuring, and it turns out I only have room for up to a 14' spread, or limbs will encroach into my neighbor's yard. So I guess I need to look at shrubs, unless someone knows of tress that will fit into that size pruned? I'm even thinking about a large trellis of climbing roses...thanks for trying to help though, John!

• picea
    12 years ago

Paperbark Maple is a nice 4 season Plant, Cleveland select Pear,

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

Corylus 'Harry Lauder's' Walking Stick? A four season plant, can be pruned to shape, has great winter interest (if the snow doesn't cause breakage problems). Tops out around 10' x maybe 8' but is slooowww. The early spring catkins are delightful. There is a purple-leaved version that holds its color for a bit then fades to green. Drought tolerant once established, at least here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage

• coatfetish2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great suggestions! The mobile home park I live in is tiered like a three layer cake, and I am on the top level. Each level has a split rail fence at the end of the backyard, and each level also has tree plantings along the rail. My level alternates white pine with Bradford pear, and the Bradfords haven't taken the winds well. A few have died, but that did provide me with more light in my back yard. Not the owner's best choice.
    I like both the Paperbark Maple and Corylus suggestions - I found a pic at Dave's Gardens of a 20 yr old Harry Lauder's trained into a tree form, and it looked spectacular! Slow growth, catkins, and I've always loved the twisted form - this one may be the winner. I can't believe I never realized it had catkins. Seeing it trained into tree form changed my opinion of it's high cost, it really is a show stopper when not left as an unruly shrub. I've been reading about the filbert blight - trying to find a silver lining I can say that woodworking is a new hobby and if the thing should die from blight some day, I could easily use the contorted wood in projects - lol.
    Thanks for the great tips, I knew this was the place to come to : ) Now I'll have to start saving my pennies because I think the Harry Lauder's is the winner...

• arktrees
    12 years ago

Princeton Sentry Ginkgo, or one of the other columnar Ginkgo's as well. Will eventually get taller, but is very drought tolerant. There are also some semi-dwarf forms,and variegated forms that are much smaller as well.

Arktrees

• perennialfan273
    12 years ago

I would recommend a witch hazel (hamamelis intermedia). There are tons of cultivars to choose from. I suggest 'Arnold's Promise'. It's one of the most well known cultivars and is extremely hardy. They're also quite tiny. Arnold Promise won't get taller than 6' according to DG.

• coatfetish2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I looked up the witch hazel (witch hazel being a sentimental favorite) and Arnold's Promise has great fall color - I'd really love to have something with varied, strong fall color. I'm originally from Connecticut, and I miss the fall foliage so much - we just don't have it here in this part of Virginia, regardless of what the locals think! lol
    The size seems quite a bit bigger than 6' - even as quoted on DG. Mostly I've read 15' tall by 10' - 12' wide. I'm sure the width could be pruned in, and the height is fine by me. My only concern would be providing enough water, it sounds like a thirsty plant. It's in the running, though, that was a good suggestion!

• coatfetish2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Staphylea trifolia, American Bladdernut - I just found this on the Forestfarm.com site, where I've been trying to sort through their immense inventory for ideas. It look promising, too. Again, water loving, but I might have to resign myself to watering whatever I get. It is within the size I need, it takes extremely well to pruning - to the point it's being used exclusively for a hedge maze, has interesting (even if small) pendulous flowers, and a clear yellow fall color.
    Anyone here familiar with it?

• perennialfan273
    12 years ago

If you're in Virginia, it'll probably do even better. The rootstock of many witch hazels is hamamelis virginiana, which is native to your area.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company