Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccah_2009

Can you name some pretty yellow roses?

rebeccah_2009
14 years ago

I'm looking for a pretty yellow rose. One that will really stand out. A good smell would be a plus too. Got any ideas?

Comments (30)

• aurora1701e
    14 years ago

Midas Touch and Julia Child are two that come to mind. Both fragrant too! Jeff
    {{gwi:265377}}

{{gwi:265378}}

• buford
    14 years ago

Graham Thomas and Golden Celebration. Also St. Patrick (HT).

• prairie-rose
    14 years ago

Sunsprite--very fragrant. The Pilgrim (Austin)--old fashioned flat, densely-packed blooms--want to try it next year. Also been meaning to try Golden Wings (single blooms) and the above-mentioned Julia Child. I have Prairie Harvest and love it, but it might be too pale to really "stand out" for you.

• prairie-rose
    14 years ago

I forget Carefree Sunshine? My new one is gearing up for a second big flush.

• berndoodle
    14 years ago

Sophia Renaissance. Big 5 to 6 inch blooms, scented, very vigorous plant on it's own roots. In my mild climate, pruned to 30 inches, it grows to 6 feet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sophia Renaissance at HMF.

• phillygardener
    14 years ago

Ones that smell? Julia Child and Sunsprite. If you live in a humid climate, I would recommend Sunsprite over Julia Child since it has better blackspot resistance.

• michaelg
    14 years ago

Caveat, the blackspot resistance of Sunsprite, Sunflare, and perhaps other shiny-foliaged yellows varies from garden to garden, depending on what strains of the fungus you have. My Sunsprites were immune for years and then became highly susceptible.

• athenainwi
    14 years ago

Sunsprite is great. The individual blooms don't last that long, but they smell very lemony and there's a lot of blooms at one time. Unfortunately, it is the favorite rose of my Japanese Beetles as it has the most scented blooms of any rose in my garden.

I also have Gold Medal which is a gold color with a pink edge. It has a nice medium fruity scent to it. It likes to be very tall. Golden Celebration is slow to get going, but the flowers smell good. I'm hoping to see more from it this year. It looks like it will be fairly large this year.

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Athe, do you have pics of Gold Metal?

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    14 years ago

Sunsprite is my favorite yellow.

Gold Medal is 2nd.

They are meant for different places in the garden -- Gold Medal is tall, sunsprite a shortish floribunda. You should have both.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    14 years ago

For sheer yellow color, Shockwave, Phyllis Diller if you can get your hands on one, Sunsprite, Goldmarie, and Midas Touch. For softer yellows, Tivoli Gardens, Golden Fairy Tale, or Elina. For light color and heavy fragrance, Lemon Spice.

• chuck_billie
    14 years ago

Happy Child, Teasing Georgia, Amber Queen, Autumn Sunset.
    The last two have a tint of orange but are really nice and fragrant.
    Oh yeah, forgot Topaz Jewel. Bulletproof and gorgeous.

• ajpa
    14 years ago

Great thread. I love yellow roses. FWIW as a newbie's input, I got Morning Has Broken from RU this year and so far I think it's adorably pretty, but not huge blooms.

• sunnishine
    14 years ago

I love yellows too. Here julia child is much more disease resistant than sunsprite. Better all around rose imo.

• lucretia1
    14 years ago

Molineux and Topaz Jewel. Both are pretty, smell good, and disease resistant. Molineux is about the only Austin I have left.

Golden Showers is also a great, trouble-free yellow that smells good.

• mori1
    14 years ago

There is New Day which has a lovely light scent.

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Carefree Sunshine is a delight----lovely soft fragrance and a pretty color and very care free.

Gardenia is a pretty rambler that starts out a pale yellow and then turns white---

CAREFREE SUNSHINE-

{{gwi:209635}}

Florence

• phylrae
    14 years ago

Our first rose to bloom was today...and it was Golden Celebration. It was AMAZING. Smells divine......form is very full and color is a vibrant yellow right now. I fell in love all over again with it...made me swoon. We have 2 because I love it so much!
    We also have and LOVE Julia Child!
    :0) Phyl

• jeffcat
    14 years ago

I can only comment on Graham Thomas as he is the only yellow rose I have. He starts out as a bright distinct yellow and fades to a light yellow as the bloom fades. Bloom has a strong cupped form and strong sweet tea/citrusy fragrance. He just started blooming for me 2 days ago in Ohio.........buds galore. Grows tall in warmer areas.

• huttnem
    14 years ago

Golden Zest. Packed with petals, it looks like an old rose. Complex color, very fragrant and floriferous. It's gotten healthier every year. This year the buds were ruby red.

• phinou
    14 years ago

I love Austin's Charlotte !!!!

{{gwi:265379}}

{{gwi:265380}}

Don't you ?

• rebeccah_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, Charlotte is lovely. Any fragrance?

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

It's not nearly as luscious of a rose, or as fragrant, as some of the others mentioned above (like 'Golden Celebration', 'Charlotte', 'Julie Child'), but if you ever need a small, thornless, yellow miniature with nice scent, 'Pacific Serenade' is an enjoyable little thing.

Randy

Miniature rose, 'Pacific Serenade':
    {{gwi:207444}}

• boxofrox
    14 years ago

I have 4 yellows in my collection and like all of them for different reasons. 'Scent from Above' and 'Golden Showers' I have as climbers/backdrops. 'Easy Going' and 'Eureka' I have more for contrast in a 'bed of many colors'. 'Eureka' likes to bloom in clusters and can be pretty spectacular at times.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:265374}}

• lmschneider
    14 years ago

I adore Julia Child. I took these on Tuesday - 6-10-09.

{{gwi:265381}}

{{gwi:265382}}

{{gwi:238106}}

{{gwi:238110}}

{{gwi:238108}}

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Okay after reviewing my garden..I do need a tall yellow rose. I am posting so this thread will back to the top in case anyone has anymore ideas

• joebar
    14 years ago

honey bouquet and golden celebration for sure. my neighbour has a beautiful little flori called sun flare- all are fragrant and killer hardy.

• lilc5
    14 years ago

My golden celebration taken Thursday.
    {{gwi:265383}}

Carolina

• lilc5
    14 years ago

Here is a better shot
    {{gwi:265384}}

Carolina

• susan9santabarbara
    14 years ago

Many of my faves were mentioned above. I'm surprised that no one mentioned Helmut Schmidt or Oregold, both rock-solid yellow HTs. Sun Goddess is probably the best all-around fragrant yellow HT, but it is not currently in commerce. But if you are very determined, you can find it.

Susan