Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casolorz

Moving Cedar trees

casolorz
10 years ago

I know someone who has tons of Cedar trees (I think Red Cedar) on a lot. They go anywhere from pretty tall trees that would need a large spade to be moved to small little twigs I could dig out with a hand trowel.

I would like to know if you have any suggestions as to what the best way to move some of those trees might be, ideally without hiring any big machinery although I might be ok with renting a backhoe. The trees are around 10 miles away from their destination. I think I'll be sticking to the smaller trees that are maybe 5 or so feet tall. Ideally I would be moving as many as 20 or 30 trees.

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Hello casolorz,

I vote for moving two or three foot tall ones in the fall as the best time. If not move them as soon as weather permits now.

It has been a weird spring and with a false start or two here after a COLD winter. Seems like half my trees are stopped in the process of budding out. Earlier in the week when I tried to dig the top couple inches were ok but it was hard like frozen underneath. Otherwise I would say March is probably a great time for transplanting.

• casolorz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks toronado3800 for the suggestion, but what about how to move them? do I just use a shovel to get them out? do I then burlap them or will they hold long enough while I drive them home without burlap?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I know someone who has tons of Cedar trees (I think Red Cedar) on a lot.

==>>> that is why they are considered highly invasive in many areas ... dont know where you are ...

do us a favor.. kill them all ... dont help them invade new areas by moving them ...

one of the plants.. in this world.. where free is not necessarily good ...

for a very small investment.. at the link.. you could order some quality plants, delivered to your door ... i highly encourage you to use something else ...

ken

ps: all that said.. been there done that.. cant kill the things.. [which is part of the invasive equation] .... rip some literally out of the ground in august, not even bothering with a shovel.. and planted and didnt water them.. and they lived ...

Here is a link that might be useful: list

• casolorz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, yeah I'm aware they are sort of invasive however they appear to be the same cedars the forestry service here sells you on their conservation program.

This post was edited by casolorz on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 12:53

• sam_md
    10 years ago

hi casolorz,
    As you found out, some advice given here on the trees forum is worth exactly what you paid for it LOL.
    Sounds like you have an interesting project ahead. Take a look at my post on the prof forum. This is how to hand dig your larger cedars with a spade. For the smaller ones you could just tie up the corners of the burlap.
    You've made a great choice. Juniperus virginiana is a pioneer species. It provides great habitat for cedar waxwings which eat the berries and is a favorite for many song birds for nesting.
    Sadly some posters here cannot see past the end of their noses. They are only interested in discussing "fluff"

Here is a link that might be useful: how to hand dig a tree