Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimla

Syphonject for soaker hose use?

jimla
15 years ago

Its a brass valve between the spigot and the hose connection with a small diameter drop tube that you put in a bucket of fertilizer solution. As the hose runs, it syphons the solution into the water stream for mixing prior to watering.

Will it work on a soaker hose? I am thinking there may not be enough water velocity in the soaker to make it work?

Anyone with experience to the contrary?

Comments (5)

• lehua49
    15 years ago

HI Jimla,

I wouldn't do it because the watering pores are smaller in soakers and the fertilizer eventually will clog it up because when you are done watering the fert sits in the pipe and precipitates out of solution. Same goes for drip. Anyone else have done this and wish they hadn't. Life is an experiment. Go for it. GL and Aloha.

• jimla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the fertilizer perspective. I am planning to use a 5 gal bucket of compost tea so perhaps insoluable fertilizer residue will not be an issue.

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi Jimla,

What is the benefit of using the tea through the irrigation system versus just poring it on. Good filtering would matter. Isn't compost tea better when it is spread over more of the soil to improve conditioning rather than irriferting? Wouldn't compost tea have to be applied frequently to be a considered a fertilizer? Just curious, no real expertise in this aspect. You might post this thread in the Compost Forum as well. GFI and GL Aloha.

• jimla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I figure that since I am running the soaker to water, may as well add the tea at the same time. Its not so much a fertilizer as it is a way to add liquid compost to stimulate the soil food web to do their thing and make more nutrients available from the raw materials already there. The questions still remains though, will the soaker have enough velocity to activate the syphon to warrant purchasing the syphonject.

• lehua49
    15 years ago

HI Jimla,

Good question. The siphon device uses a venturi effect similar to airbrush equipment. If the velocity in the mainline decreases so does the pull effect from the device. If you have good pressure from your source and your soaker hose is running well, you will be okay. Is there a shut-off valve on this device that can be closed when your not running your tea solution. If not it will be sucking air and other things that float by into the system when not in use. How much does this thing cost? Respectfully, IMHO, I think you should save your money. But what else would you use your stimulus package money for? GL and aloha