Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

Share "Good Experiences" with Small Electric Hydraulic Log Splitt

loger_gw
9 years ago

Please Share "Good Experiences" with Small Electric Hydraulic Log Splitters. We have tons of firewood to harvest due to a recent storm in North, TX. That means My Resting Log splitter is in high demand but I'm not. I do not loan major equipment w/o being directly involved start to finish to protect my friend and equipment. My 9-12 Ton Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter is more than my friend needs IMO.

His newer Metal Insert Type Fireplace is small requiring his wood to be small but he brings it in too large. Due to a grate we built, I would estimate he is limited to a load in the fireplace, 14" W X 12" H X 12" D at the most. Which means he should adapt to his "Body As I Have" and not bring any wood home over 12" dia. Length is not the issue vs splitting. I would like to suggest to him a small splitter that will handle logs 14"L X 12" Dia W/O hesitating splitting. Even if he has to make a 4" leverage cut in the ends to help the splitter.

This would save hauling my splitter and me for a Day Of Labor vs him splitting a few hrs over weeks. I feel if the price is right and the performance is good, his feelings will be OK. I have seen Gas splitters from Home Depot Rental that are slow like my Electric. I have seen small electric splitter people were lined up returning to one store after a storm.

Comments (4)

• nod702
    9 years ago

A friend has an electric splitter from Drpower equipment that he likes and said it has held up good for the two seasons he has used it.

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I thought I would need to change my title, to âÂÂAny replies vs GoodâÂÂ. I knew I had seen commercial or Etc. but I wanted some personal info. Is it possible your friend will share a Model #, some + & - info and Pics of the splitterâÂÂs work? My young 70ish friend needs some Beavers vs a splitter with his pile of wood. IâÂÂve had his back since going back to wood after retiring and slowing. âÂÂBut We Need Helpâ LOL!

• willisd1
    9 years ago

I have used a 4 ton rybil splitter for the last year with no issues. It does go a liitle slow on the big stuff but works fine.

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I need to find one of the small electric splitters locally to personally try. From the challenge my 9-12 ton hydraulic splitter has on green 12â dia Oak and Pecan I hate to think a small electric can handle green 12â dia wood. Slow is not a concern vs the labor and shock of splitting with a wedge and sledge or a mall.

He said IâÂÂm off the hook with my splitter now that he has a larger saw to cut the larger wood into 6â slices and then into 6â blocks. That is a lot of cutting if the wood can be split easier. He has realized some of his older seasoned Oak has season cracks to reduce the job. I feel âÂÂwell seasoned Oakâ vs Pecan would work with a Small Electric Splitter or mall w/o much labor and shock. The cutting pecan into block is a process that a friend went to with age and back problems that has worked well with his large Pro grade Stihl saw.

With our small City lots there is not much room to allow un-stacked wood to lay un-slit vs split and stacked to season. That is a point to make to him since he is on at least an acre and could allow Oak vs Pecan wood to season before splitting/stacking.

I have offered him to bring some of his pecan to see if my larger splitter will save him some time. IMO and experience, Pecan is work to split seasoned or green. Attached was his harvest before adding 3 more loads with green pecan included from a recent storm.

His larger saw is a Poulan 550 with a better grade chain added, over his Older Poland S-25. I am not familiar with the 550. I would like to get some opinions if someone sees this and have experiences with the saw.

Too much Time On My Hand In This Wet Cool Weather. LOL!