Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Qs re Eupatorium dubium "Baby Joe"

A stand of some very tall coneflowers didn't survive this past winter and I made a vow last season to not buy anymore Echinacea (well maybe a "Cheyenne Spirit" or two ;)).

Anyways I saw some very healthy vigorous ("Baby") Joe Pye weed at the local nursery. I have no "Pyes" in my garden and this more moderate grower might fit in just fine at the back of the garden. But I have some qs for those that grow the "Pye".

This area of the garden gets no supplemental water and I understand that this plant appreciates some moist soil. How forgiving will it be in this respect?

Also this area probably gets about 4.5 hours of good direct sun...is this enough to keep it happy?

This post was edited by rouge21 on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 9:32

Comments (10)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I had a standard JPW. It wilted if the garden became too dry, so unless you get regular rain or can water it, I'd choose something else.

I also found that mine seeded quite vigorously, and it doesn't like to give up its grip on the soil, so it you do go with it, be aware that you will want to deadhead regularly. I decided that mine would be better in a wild area than a garden bed.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nhbabs wrote: I decided that mine would be better in a wild area than a garden bed.

Thanks for your post.

"Wild" is the the perfect adjective for this area where JPW could be planted however I do not want to be forced to water this "wild west" area of the this garden.

So maybe a new thread i.e. a low maintenance perennial less than 4 feet in height (less than 3 feet in breadth) which is water conserving and can thrive in an aspect of "part sun"!

This post was edited by rouge21 on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 11:41

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I had this one planted in a very dry area of my garden. It was a SW location with lots of completion from tree roots, so watering was a constant struggle. It did OK, but I just didn't feel it could reach it's full potential, so this year I moved it. My Lord, are these slow to emerge. Mine finally made an appearance this past weekend.

I know very little about these plants, but I have a feeling your biggest problem might be the 4.5 hours of sun. I think they need a lot more, but maybe not. I'm sure others will know more.

Kevin

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

I agree with the others. Eupatoriums (*ahem*- or Eutrochium, Conoclinium, and Ageratina as we are now "supposed" to call them, LOL!) are often found growing in moist conditions natively and don't seem to appreciate dry conditions. Have had the same issues with them wilting when the ground becomes dry.

Haven't tried growing them in any amount of shade, but I would think that some (particularly the taller varieties) would flop if they didn't get enough sun.
    CMK

• terrene
    10 years ago

I had a Baby Joe growing in a dry spot. It hated it and languished. It is not a good choice for a dry garden. I think the joe pye weeds make a great garden plant, though, if the garden bed has medium-moist soil, especially at the back of the garden.

Have you thought about growing some of the Echinaceas from seed? Swallowtail has a new "Cheyenne Spirit" seed strain. I haven't tried that one, but I've had pretty good results so far with some others, although the jury's not out yet. It's certainly a lot cheaper when a seed strain doesn't pan out, or one of the seedlings doesn't make it.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Have you thought about growing some of the Echinaceas from seed?

terrene, I have forsaken echinaceas for the foreseeable future (seed and 'instant' editions). See "my" link from about 7 months ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: no more echinaceas

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

You could try some of the taller columbines or foxglove. Dayliles or Siberian iris would be fine there based on my experience. My peonies bloom in something like 4 hours of sun and don't get watered. Sorry that none of these have the later bloom period of the Echinacea. Cimicifuga (now Actea) will do well there, but it will be near the width limit of 3'.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

There are a couple of Eupatorium (?) that are more tolerant of dryness, but they would mainly have to be started from seed or mail ordered. I think one is E. perfoliatum and the other is E. hysoppifolium (sp?). Both white-flowered, late bloomers. They should fit your overall size requirements, too.

I grow E. purpureum 'Little Red' and it is still settling in after being fall-planted last year. It is in partial sun in the most consistently damp soil I can muster (not an easy task in my sandy soil). The jury is still out on ultimate performance since it is not mature, but it appears to be growing well. It was among the latest of all my perennials to emerge, right before the hardy hibiscus.

If you do not want to go with a Eupatorium, how about a baptisia or an aster? Both can tolerate dryness.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you do not want to go with a Eupatorium, how about a baptisia or an aster? Both can tolerate dryness.

Both are excellent choices. One gives flowering in the late spring/early summer and the other in the late summer.

(Has anyone had first hand experience with the Decadence line-up of the more compact, vigorous Baptisia?)

This post was edited by rouge21 on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 5:53

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus