Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

I love Vielchenblau

jacqueline9CA
10 years ago

I grow some once bloomers because they are so breathtaking when they are in bloom (usually for weeks & weeks), that they are worth it. Accd to HMF anyone in zone 4 or above can grow this rose - I would encourage you to! It is a mannerly rambler - I do not ever prune mine, I just tie up the occasional extra exuberant cane that emerges.

Jackie

Comments (16)

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Love it!! You are so far ahead of us here in TN! Mine only has little baby buds about the size of peas right now...but in a few weeks, it will be wonderful! Thanks for giving me somethig to look forward to :)

Tammy

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

It looks beautiful, Jackie. Thanks for the recommendation.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I love the grayish-violet color of this rose, although I've heard Veilchenblau can be a martyr to mildew. Yours looks fabulously healthy and beautiful.

Ingrid

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

I killed mine. Too much shade, I think. I do want to try again. Yours is beautiful, Jackie.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mine has never had a speck of mildew, and it is in partial shade - my guess would be that it likes our warm, dry Summers.

Jackie

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Just gorgeous, Jackie!

• sidos_house
    10 years ago

If you do a Google image search on Vielchenblau, almost every photo is heartbreakingly lovely. And yours is no exception, Jackie. I planted one this year and hope I have half the success you've had. Just beautiful.

• jpsdad
    10 years ago

Very jealous of your photo Jackie! I love that rose too. I tried it once but it could not endure our wet springs and was covered with powdery mildew. So out it went! Had the same experience with Bleu Magenta so I guess no purple ramblers for me! :(
    Yours is lovely!!

• jardineratx
    10 years ago

That is just beautiful, Jackie. How old is your vielbhenblau? I have a young one that bloomed more heavily this spring than in the past, so I am hoping for more blooms with maturity.
    Molly

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Molly - I don't remember exactly how old it is, but at least 10 years, and perhaps as much as 15. It has been at full size & bloom like this for at least the last 8 years.

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Molly - I don't remember exactly how old it is, but at least 10 years, and perhaps as much as 15. It has been at full size & bloom like this for at least the last 8 years.

Jackie

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, that's beautiful! I had it long ago, just a small one, but that makes me want to try again, in the ground. My little one would PM some, but it would also throw an occasional flower off-season. Loved how the blooms would grey.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

What lush abundance. It looks like part of a beautiful secret garden. Diane

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

Jackie, I love your garden, as much because of its age and history with your family as your enthusiasm and love for it. I love Veilchenblau also. I grew it in Alabama - lovely thing. Gean

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Yesterday, a pretty young woman brought a spray of Veilchenblau to the Celebration of Old Roses.

She said it was her favorite rose, that she'd brought it last year, and it was the only one there, so she thought she should bring it again. It was again the only one, so it was a gift to others, who subsequently fell in love with it. :-)

Jeri

• jeannie2009
    10 years ago

Planted her last summer. She has about 30 buds..next to her is Lavendar Lassie. Hoping they grow up intertwined. Hoping she gets to be the size of yours in a ccentury or two. If I am so lucky.
    Jeannie

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz