Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cweathersby

Got the shovel ready

cweathersby
13 years ago

This spring I renovated my garden. Took out about 1/3 of my roses - the ones that didn't perform once I went no spray and the ones that didn't merit garden space for one reason or another.

I don't miss any of them! Not one bit!

And so I'm a little more inclined to get rid of some others.

Teas.

That I had saved due to their being teas. I'm comfy taking out HTs, fls, Austins, and even bourbons and HPs that don't do well here. But teas? Don't know if I'm strong enough.

BUT

I absolutely HATE that I have to pick off the BUDS of Etoile de Lyon, Perle de Jardins, Blumenschmidt and MFK because even the buds are discolored. These rose bushes never look beautiful. An individual bloom may be breathtaking but overall the effect is of CRUD!

Others on the chop block: Clotilde Soupert and a Molineux that tries to die every winter.

If these roses don't look pretty durn perfect come August, then Off With Their Heads! There are too many teas that have the potential for perfection that want their space!

Carrie

Comments (9)

• paparoseman
    13 years ago

Carrie I have executed a few tea's myself. Mostly for the same reason you stated. There are too many good tea's to put up with badly opening blooms or sickly looking bushes.

Lance

• buffington22
    13 years ago

I sp'd 3 of your 4 named above for the same reason- balling and sparse or ugly spring blooms-EdL,PdJ and MFK. Fall ok but not enough to justify the space. Springtime is when we are eagerly awaiting the show and are heartbroken when it does not happen. Fall is just lagniappe for me. So off with their heads!I may replace them all with Safrano which is a wonderful plant in my garden.

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've got 5 perfect roses.
    Jean Bach Sisley
    Mme Lombard
    Safrano
    Isabella Sprunt
    Cramosi Superior

And 2 that I love to death even though they aren't perfect:
    Jude the Obscure (got 5 of him)
    Mary Magdalene

I've had so many roses come and go through my garden but it is totally worth it to have these ones I love so much.

How will I find new perfect ones if I never get rid of the old ones that aren't?
    Wish I could be this selective with men! Go through 200+ to find 7 worth keeping forever! HA!

• melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

Well, you certainly get my vote for hauling 'Perle des Jardins' off to the scaffold. That's an awful rose, for me at least, and it thoroughly deserves to die. My heart faints when it comes to digging out mine, though, just because it's vigorous. Shy-flowering, always mildewed, but vigorous.
    Bah, humbug.
    Melissa

• newtie
    13 years ago

Every thing said about Perle des Jardins is true, however when a hot dry August comes along and all your other roses are gasping for breath, which rose perks up and loves the heat? Perle des Jardin. And then the blooms do open all the way.

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Carrie, I did some executions last fall, and much to my dismay Bermuda's Anna Olivier, Mrs Dudley Cross, Jean Bach Sisley and now 3 Hermosas are not looking good. BAO is full of dead canes and dieback and not putting on new growth like she should be, amd MDC is doing the same. I didn't prune JBS at all this spring so maybe that's his problem. And yesterday when deadheading the Hermosas I cut out tons of dead stuff and they have almost no leaves now after their flush. I'm trying to make my cuts all the way back at a joint because otherwise the dieback is terrible on these plants. Maybe they need a dose of epsom salts since I haven't seen many new basals. I'm just feeling my way in the dark on this.

My 2 Clotildes balled about a third of their blossoms, but I'm sticking with them. Rosette Delizy is really being a problem child. All of her flush looked ugly. Probably thrips. If this year's like last year, then she'll get botrytis. Souv de Francois Gaulain balls a lot, too, as does Enchantress. All of mine are young so I'll wait.

Sherry

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Carrie---we have to kiss a lot of toads to find a prince---guess it is the same with roses---LOL

So ---you finally found 7 out of 200-----whooppee

Florence

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Perhaps you can re-home them. They may do better in someone else's garden. It's a guilt-free way of winnowing out the chaff.

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've thought about re homing them.
    Problem is, anyone near me would have the exact same problems.
    I wouldn't wish these roses on anyone - me staying on top of the ugly blooms still isn't enough, and most people wouldn't take the time to even do that. It'd be a horrid mess of discolored and balled blooms.
    It would take a completely different climate to get these to bloom well.
    Shipping mature plants across the US isn't feasible.
    But if anyone near me wants these, HOLLA!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!