Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arktrees

Where is Spring? Has it reached you yet?

arktrees
14 years ago

Since we are entering the transition time from Winter to Spring during this time of the year, I thought it might be worthwhile for people to post what is happening at their locations. Here in Northwest Arkansas, we have seen substained sub-normal temperatures for nearly the entire winter. As a result it's now March with very little hint of spring, and frankly I could use knowing that it's creeping north and on it's way. I'm sure many further north would not mind as well, and generate some reading material during this slow time. So here is the my first report.

Northwest Arkansas

Yellow Crocus (our earliest Crocus) just flowering, but no other colors/selections yet.

Red Maple buds swelling a bit, but far from ready to flower.

Wild blackberries (I think that is what they are) and some roses have somewhat distended buds with earliest growth.

Otherwise, nothing much is apparent.

Comments (47)

• iforgotitsonevermind
    14 years ago

Don't know what to tell you. My mother in the Miami, FL area says yesterday it was in the 50's.

I believe this is the coldest winter I've ever had to endure. Not the coldest temps but the cold doesn't seem to want to go away. As evidenced by my heat bills which are up 50% from a year ago.

• hogmanay
    14 years ago

Normally by now, I would expect to see more evidence of Spring where I live, but I don't see it.

I heard from folks back in middle GA, zone 8, that the Forsythia Festival was held without any blooms this year.

I think most of the SE has had colder and wetter than normal winter, and I expect we'll get a great show soon.

• botann
    14 years ago

Other than a cold spell in December our winter here in western Wa. has been warm. Record breaking warm. Plants are blooming 3 to 4 weeks ahead of schedule.
    Here's a picture of a Rhododendron blooming in my garden on Feb. 25th.
    I'm in the foothills S.E. of Seattle at 750 ft. so I'm a little later than Seattle itself. My Daffodils will be blooming in a few days. In Seattle they have been blooming for weeks.
    {{gwi:337940}}

• arktrees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I saw in another forum last night the EARLIEST Japanese Maples are finally beginning to leaf in Houston Texas, and that what got me to thinking about this post. Guessing on my part, but it would seem that we are about a month away from the point I was reading about last night depending upon the weather of course. I calculated 4 GDD (growing degree days) year to date for my location as of yesterday. Most substained cold that I've seen here since the mid 90's, and the late 70's-early 80's before that.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

It looks like about 2 weeks behind compared to last year and the year before based on Montezuma cypress which usually start to leaf out mid-February. Not much on them at the moment. I noticed that bradford pears are starting to flower but I never paid attention on the timing for the flowers in the past so i don't know.. Depending on the weather till March 21st, they are saying anywhere from 2nd to 5th coldest winter recorded for Texas. Snowiest winter ever for Dallas area too.

I don't expect most trees to start leafing out until 3rd-4th week of March.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    14 years ago

No forsythia here either. Normally they bloom in late feb.

• katrina1
    14 years ago

My purple blooming crocus are the very first signs for us that Spring is just about to usher through into our region, and the buds on my neighbor's forsythia shrub for the first time can be seen to have swollen buds.

As long a we do not get another heavy freeze, It seems as if that forsythia should begin blooming sometime next week and be in full bloom within a matter of days afterwards.

So, yes Spring temps are just around the corner for us. Thankfully, none of my later leafing shrubs and trees are swelling their buds prematurely.

Our day time temps, last week stayed in the 40-55 degree F temp range, but the night time lows dipped below freezing more often than not. That is probably what has been helping to keep our dormant trees and shrubs from sending up enough sap, hopefully long enough to keep them from being damaged over the next 4 or so weeks; if any more sever late freezing temp episodes occur during that period.

My peachy, apricot colored flowering quince has no signs of blooming, and in fact, has the most tight buds I have ever seen at this time of year. In years past it always had produced some sign of emerging buds by now, but this year it seems just as dormant as it appeared in the coldest part of last winter. Same thing with my 'Miss Kim' Lilac shrubs.

• arktrees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update:
    That didn't take long........
    Been relatively warm night and day since my first post, and things are changing quickly. Guess days in mid to upper 60's and lows at coldest in the 40's (51 last night) can really push some things. This after a low of 14 one morning, and 15 the earlier next last.
    Red Maple across the street has opened about 1/3 of it's flowers. I only thought they were not nearly ready. So much for what I think on that one. Got more crocus up and flowering as well. Also saw Witch Hazel yesterday as well.

Arktrees

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

Arktrees,

I noticed that one of my shantung maple seedlings has started to leaf out. Others, buds are beginning to swell. There's nothing in long range forecast that I'd see cold weather so maybe my trees will start growing earlier than expected, perhaps 7-10 days away. My neighbor's red maple started blooming. Lots of red flowers on it.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

Perhaps, I was off a little bit. Two days later, I noticed that my 'Fire Dragon' shantung maple is about to bloom anytime now. My 'Nanjing Beauty' taxodium is pushing out hundreds of buds that didn't exist 2 days ago. I guess things are moving fast now! Crazy how fast things changes within a week.

• arktrees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Lou for the update. I replied once, but I see it never made it. We now have daffodils up and flowering in the area. Our PJM Rhodos have flower buds swelling a bit too. Nothing on our Fire Dragon yet (looked today). But overall it looks like the show has started.

Arktrees

• pineresin
    14 years ago

Winter Aconites only just past their best and Snowdrops at their best now - about a month later than normal. Still haven't had a ten degree day yet this year (max so far just 8), normally get at least 2 or 3 ten degree days in each of January and February.

Resin

• dsieber
    14 years ago

In the Denver area the grass is starting to green up. Since it has been fairly dry I hope we get at least one serious Dumping of Spring "Widow Maker" Wet Snow!!!!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    14 years ago

Surprisingly, we are in the early stages of our earliest spring in the last 30 years or longer, a good 3 weeks ahead of our usual. My earliest blooming bulbs (reticulated irises) have been blooming for a week, as has my vernal witchhazel. My 'Diane' hybrid witchhazel as well as a Daphne x transatlantica 'Summer Ice' began blooming this week. None of them are bothered by below-freezing nighttime temperatures. Most of the woody plants, however, are only just beginning to show signs of spring. I see just the beginning of swelling of the red maple buds, and the lilac buds are still pretty much unchanged.

• arktrees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Interesting, I happened to read a story today about how this past winter shaped up. In brief it was top ten coldest on record for much of the southern US (including Arkansas where I'm located). But was one of the warmest on record for Maine, and was the warmest on record for Canada. Check out the link.

Arktrees

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Summary

• User
    14 years ago

I'm in the middle (NJ) and it was a fairly normal Winter (in terms of temps) as the data in the above source recorded. But it was a stormy Winter and this continues with the current norester/"norecane". Higher than normal all around on the precip side.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Dutch Iris, Acacia, Daffodils, Plums, Manzanita, Daphne, Peaches, Clematis, and Cyclamen have bloomed or are in the process of blooming.
    Indeed, my Forcythia is just beginning to open its first flowers. My Trident Maples began leafing out weeks ago.

Josh

• arktrees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Time for an update for our friends further north. Found flower buds starting to swell on our Bailsta (Fall Fiesta)Sugar Maple today. Acer triflorum buds seem to be elongating a bit. Viburnium buds are splitting. Dandelions are beginning to grow (and hence glycophosphate has come out to kill them before my Bermuda lawn wakes up). Siberian Iris are poking up a bit, along with some very early hardy Geranium and Delphium sending up a few leaves here and there testing the air. It's still early, but things will really begin to kick in over the next 2-3 weeks.

Arktrees

• yelmbackyard
    14 years ago

Indian Plums - flowering and full leaves forming
    HT Roses - leafing
    Liliac - leafing
    Pea Shrub - leaf buds forming
    Tulips - 4-5" tall
    Crab apple - full leaf forming
    Decid. Magnolia - leaf/flower buds forming
    Moss - taking over the yard....
    LOL

• jqpublic
    14 years ago

It's starting! It's starting!

• hogmanay
    14 years ago

Just an update. We were over in Zone 8 GA and the Forsythia did push out in time for the last weekend (I think) of the Forsythia Festival (in Forsyth GA). I also think the Cherry Blossom Festival in another nearby town (Macon GA) is on, but I'm not sure how the trees are behaving.

Anyway, our problem, I think, is the cloud cover. We've had 10 days of little to no sun due to heavy clouds. I think this keeps the soil temp lower and holds back the buds. All we have pushing out is Mock Orange (barely) and Pussy Willow. Meanwhile the Forsythia at my place as well as the Redbuds are asleep. The Maples (Red and Japanese) are asleep.

Around town, the Redbuds and Callery Pears (curses be upon them) located in parking lot islands are going to town, but the ones along the woodlines are not.

If we get a few sunny days, it should be on.

• ginkgonut
    14 years ago

Silver maples are starting to bloom. Tulips are up a few inches in the warm spots. I think we are off to an early start.

• User
    14 years ago

Star and saucer magnolia blossoms are starting to open as is Forsythia. This all follows on our March hurricane of one week ago!!

• arktrees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, update. Well it's the first day of spring, some Forsythia has started to flower, but our PMJ Rhodo's still haven't done anything, nor have I noticed Quince, and looking out my window, it's snowing. BIG FAT WET SNOWFLAKES!!! I guess one more shot of winter.

Arktrees

• drrich2
    14 years ago

Southwestern KY (Russellville, that is) - our October Glory Red Maple in the backyard has been blooming. I'm not sure when it started, but today I saw a bunch of some type of bees (? honey bees maybe ?) buzzing around it. The grass in the yard is growing; might be time to mow next weekend or so.

Richard.

• eukaryote
    14 years ago

So much for the official first day of Spring around here.

{{gwi:337943}}

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

Got about 1.5 inches of snow last night and it's supposed to hit 28*F which will set grass back quite a bit unfortunately.

The interesting thing is that a few minutes ago, I discovered a dozen of Fire Dragon seedlings (1-2 inches) are growing in small area of mulch around Fire Dragon shantung maple. Should be interesting to see if they survive 28*F weather tonight that is predicted. I thought I had collected all of the seeds but I guess not. My brother in Houston said he had a very high germination rate on the seeds I sent him. I already have 32 germinated seeds in additional to the ones in the mulch. I still have a couple dozens of seeds more on moist paper towel in the enclosed container in the fridge waiting to be germinated.

Oh by the way Fire Dragon trees are blooming now. Most of shantung maples seedlings are leafing out as well. Tulips are 3-4 inches tall now. It's still mostly brown around here though but I expect things to rapidly change for the next couple weeks when it gets warmer.

• arktrees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lou,
    Can't say about seedlings, but the shoots on our FD has survived 20's on multiple occasions, including 21 degrees and ice fog. The shoots were about 6-7" long at the time. We limp and crispy that morning, and standing and apparently oblivious to anything having happened the afternoon of the same day.

As for spring, can't say here, everything is under snow. About 9 inches of it heavy wet snow. It's pretty, and not supposed to last long. Our FD isn't doing much yet, but saw a couple early Japanese Maples leafing at a nursery this weekend.

Arktrees

• dsieber
    14 years ago

Denver got 7 inches on Friday, Same storm that moved into Kansas. Most of the snow was gone Sunday PM. Lost of well needed moisture. Which will accelerate the grass green up.

• arktrees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Quince is finally flowering. Pears a day or two from to flowering.

Arktrees

• salicaceae
    14 years ago

Metasequoia and Pseudolarix are just beginning to break bud. Dogwoods are blooming. Salix floridana in full bloom. Pinus patula and P. pseudostrobus candles are lengthening now - P. montezumae still dormant.

• bob632
    14 years ago

We wouldn't normally rub it in but I really want to brag about our winter here in western Washington. We live in Longview where this winter has been very mild. Compared to last winter's near record snow around Christmas, this winter has been absolute paradise. Last winter I spent all day on Christmas shoveling 3 feet of snow off the roof. This year, not a flake to be found, not even on the mountains north of us. Most of my plants started setting new growth around the first part of February.

• ginkgonut
    14 years ago

Our March has turned out to be more like April. I believe it will be the first time in recorded history that Minneapolis saw no snow in March.

Starting to see bud swell on the Apricots, early Magnolias and Amelanchier. I think my Twist n Shout hdyrangeas are trying to leaf out also. Maybe 70 degrees next week.

• dirtman16
    14 years ago

Ornamental pears just bloomed within the past few days here near Huntsville, AL. Some of the ornamental cherries have flowered as well.

It's like it wants to be warm here, but then we get a day where it doesn't get much above 50. I think next week may be the full breakout of spring.

• greenlarry
    14 years ago

Well its just starting to feel like spring here now. Sun is signing,its warmer,flies are in the air and the buds are breaking on the Hawthorn hedges around here.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

There's a lot of blooms on my 'Fire Dragon' maples. Pretty neat. Soon they will start to leaf out (FINALLY!). I'm very anxious to see how Blaine's Dragon (another red) turns out. Same for seedlings that I've grown from seeds. Remember that I liked that summer glowing color growth which is different than others. I'm hoping that my little one stays small. That would be awesome.

• arktrees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pears are just starting to flower now. Today's cold windy weather won't help. Our PJM Rhododendrons aren't in flower yet, but are showing a bit of color from flower buds growing. We do have first leaves on a couple of Vibruniums (snowflake and Mariesii). Our Fire Dragon has yet to do anything. We had first leaves this date last year (I have a record of that is how I know), along with our Japanese Maples. Not so this year. Otherwise some swelling buds on some plants, but that's about it. Well dandelions are growing on my lawn, I guess that is a sign of spring too. ;-)

Arktrees

• jqpublic
    14 years ago

Pears have already bloomed. Probably at or slightly past peak right now.

Dogwoods have been peeping open ever so slowly for the past week or so, and we're under our first tornado watch of the spring!

Spring's in full effect.

• pinballer3
    14 years ago

Shaded remnants of our most recent bizzard are fading so the dog will have to find a new habitat for chilling out. Spring is definitely on it's way, relatively speaking! Ornamental pear buds can now hardly contain their anxiety.

• quercus_alba2
    14 years ago

Saw my first wildflowers (hepatica) blooming today.That officialy makes it Spring!

• jqpublic
    14 years ago

Everything's really popping now. Shooting for 88 on Friday. Now even that's too soon for me!

• arktrees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Two days, two freaking days of very warm weather, and suddenly it's all exploding. PJM Rhodo's have exploded into flower. Autumn Blaze Maple went from no signs of anything, to very extended buds, and probable in first leaf in two more days. Sugar Maple flowers buds are popping everywhere. Pears are at peak and leafing. First leaves on two Japanese Maples. Two Cornus kousa dogwoods are going with first leaf on one. Chinese Pistache buds are expanding. Triflorum Maple will have first leaves tomorrow. Ginkgo went from no signs, to green breaking the buds open today. Ilex decidua is leafing out. Flower buds on Paper Bark Maple are swelling and will be popping soon. Buds of Fire Dragon Shantung Maple are growing now. Redbud is showing some pink at the ends of the buds. Even my Bermuda grass (warm season grass) is showing signs in the warmest spots. WOW, have things changed since the weekend.

Arktrees

• iforgotitsonevermind
    14 years ago

As usual we skipped right over spring and went straight to summer. The forecast calls for mid eighties here in GA which is actually warmer than the forecast for my folks down in florida. They have been rubbing my face in that for a few days now since it has been hotter here than there. I'll be sure to return the favor next time a hurricane floods them while I play tennis.

Seemed like stuff flowered a little later than usual this year, not surprising with the winter we've had but what is surprising is how much has come into leaf already. Seems like a week or two early for some trees.

• jqpublic
    14 years ago

The pines popped this weekend. Pollen everywhere!

• arktrees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update:
    Our Autumn Blaze Maple is beginning to leaf. Our Ginkgo is pushing out the tiniest green leaves. Oklahoma Redbud flowers are beginning to open. Sugar maples are in flower. Even our Paperbark Maple is beginning to push buds pretty hard. Very warm days are pushing the proceedings very quickly now.

Arktrees

• User
    14 years ago

Expecting near 90 F. tomorrow (could break a record). There were a few normal Spring days but Spring always seems like the briefest of all the seasons to me here in the Northeast. Expecting cooler after that--which is a good thing because the heat is brutal on those Spring flowers.--No need to rush this beautiful season.

• arktrees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update:
    Add paperbark maple, and Kousa dogwoods to the mix. Flowering dogwoods are nearing flower as well, with sports of color beginning to show up.

Arktrees